The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Flying Silk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Hey guys, got a few questions for you. If you can't answer all 4, just answer as many as possible. Thanks.

1) When the silk comes back to you, is it easily removed from the gimmick? I want to load it into a crystal cylinder.
2) I'm looking for a r**l. All of the motorized ones I've seen are about 25 ft in length and that's probably not long enough for me. Does anyone know where I can find a powerful enough hand-held unit with more feed?
3) If I were to use a programmed r**l offstage (assuming I don't use my assistant because I often do one-man shows), would it be possible to make the silk fly to my hand, remove it from the feed, and allow the feed to then fly off-stage?
4) Would my best contact for a programmable motorized r**l be Sean Bogunia or are there others?

Thanks for the help!

Posted: May 12, 2011 1:09pm
1) I've thought of a fairly simple way to remove the silk from the gimmick. Not sure, but I think this method will work well. (Involves something Henry Evans taught me regarding magnets.)

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Matt, why don't you send off an email to Sean, he may be able to answer all your questions. I do believe he is the only one making this effect, and being you want the silk to go a super distance, then he may be your only solution.

Have you gone to the John Kennedy site and viewed the his electronic reel? It looks like it goes a good diatance. Around the pole and then zig zag around a chair then to him. I think that distance is over 25 feet, I may be wrong.

I don't thing any of the Café members have invested in Sean's version, so going to the source would be the best solution to get your answers.

For your idea of the silk being used for a secondary use, think 'switch'. I would suggest you do a search on the flying silk, as I remember a while back, someone referencing a YouTube video of a oriental magician doing a switch and then the silk flow off stage. It would give you some idea how you could use it differently.
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Matt, the Hummingbird Reel by John Kennedy will only go 20' and that's only if you use Kennedy's own brand of nylon thread. If you use regular nylon thread from a fabric store you will only get about 10' on the spool.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
John Kennedy's Power Reel pulls in 80 feet, it is out of stock currently, but maybe a dealer has some on the shelf.

http://www.johnkennedymagic.com/scripts/......oduct=82
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Called Sean. We'll see what he recommends.

By the way, I know Shawn Farquhar has one that Sean built him.

Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
820 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
Sean Bogunia make a special one for me with remote control and is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Sean recommended PTS for me, but I think that's more than I want this trick to be. I don't need a full-on dancing hank. I'm not opposed to PTS, but I think I'm going to start with something simpler and see how it works for me.

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-05-13 10:47, Matt Adams wrote:
Sean recommended PTS for me, but I think that's more than I want this trick to be. I don't need a full-on dancing hank. I'm not opposed to PTS, but I think I'm going to start with something simpler and see how it works for me.

Maybe I don't fully understand the products, but I thought PTS was only the Flying Silk, it has nothing to do with his Dancing Hank outfit. He sold his Dancing Hank in 3 parts, sort of a modular act that could build on it self.

I guess you could have the finale where the silk flies off stage, but that was not part of his original outfit. If PTS can be added then that would make it 4 parts that can be combined together.
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Yeah, that's a bit confusing to me too actually. He said PTS would allow me to do a 3D flying of the silk. Not sure how that is different than dancing hank...but I wasn't trying to find out that information. I just wanted flying silk info. Smile

Posted: May 14, 2011 6:10pm
I purchased a hand-r**l and will see how that works for me. Once I get an idea of how that looks, I can then better determine whether I want to drop over a grand on a simple flying silk. Haha.

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The hand model has nothing in common with a stage illusion model. The one you bought is used mostly for the serpent silk (knot untying) and the silk thru mic stand. There is more to the flying silk then you must think from your statement. It is not simple, because if it was you would have it made. All Sean's stuff is electronic. It may b done with a fishing pole and a very fast assistant. I guess you could try working from that angle.

This stuff is for highly paid professionals.

You could contact John Kennedy and see when his Power Reel will be ready for shipment. That should work for most smaller shows.

Posted: May 14, 2011 7:15pm
You can read Shawn's comments here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=54
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You only need one very well trained assistant for a stage presentation of the dancing hank. John Calvert’s “Casper” is a prime example of what a puppet master can do. No fishing pole, no multiple hook-ups, and no real problem. It is only choreographing a solid routine that you and your assistant have down pat.

You can do a simple one man version without expensive electronics. You’ll need multiple hookups (duplicate hanks), a couple of reels, a Waltzing Matilda gimmick, a bottle rigged with a couple of holes and you’re off!

Think about what you want your handkerchief to do and go from there. Jump from pocket to your hand and back again (really no problem). Fly to a bottle? Dance on your tabletop? Dance while in the bottle? Every one can be achieved in a very low tec and fairly inexpensive manner.

Here are a couple of links discussing just this type of routine.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......t=265748

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......t=263973
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
I want my silk to fly off stage over the audience and back again. Nothing more. A hand r**l will probably be fine for this purpose, but I could be wrong. Smile

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-05-16 22:45, Matt Adams wrote:
I want my silk to fly off stage over the audience and back again. Nothing more. A hand r**l will probably be fine for this purpose, but I could be wrong. Smile

Oh really, nothing more then to have a silk fly out over the audience and back again. I wish you would have posted this was what you wanted in the 1st place. It would have saved a lot of posting.

Let me ask, have you seen this type of thing or are you just desiring it to be an effect you want to do?

I personally have no knowledge of this type of flying silk. Most just jet around the stage and off to the wings.

I would say that this type of effect could only be done in a 'real' theater with lighting control. I don't know, but I do not think PTS can even do this type of effect.

I wish you good luck in inventing your idea, I think it will cost more then even a thousand dollars to perfect. The only trick I know that does this kind of thing was Blackstone's Floating Light Bulb, and that method has not been revealed to the magic community as of yet. Richard Hughes here on the Café, knows the light bulb secret, but will not 'spill the beans' so you might want to contact the Blackstone Family and to see if you can purchase the rights, and use this as a starting point for your silk idea.

Then you might want to hire a professional ideas man like Jim Steinmeyer to help create your flying silk idea, as I don't know how you could accomplish this without great expense and a theater. This could not be done in a situtation like you post on your web site, in daylight standing on a platform. That's just my opinion of course, because where there is an idea, there is a way to accomplish it. You are just asking the wrong people for help.
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Wmhegbli, you truly have a complicated mind, my friend! Goodness, I mean, if lighting isn't great for flying it over the audience, I'll just change it for that show and have it go back and forth across the stage. I have a super easy method for that. Having my start in street magic, I'm all about improvising! Smile There's absolutely no need to go crazy with this. All I need is a lesser version of Lance B's Space Ghost silks that he used to start his program with. Very cute, helped get the audience in the mood, and then whoosh it was over. Mine will actually tie into my opening act which is modern silk routine I developed.

So yeah...no big deal on the actual flying part. I'm thinking simple. I got most of my q's answered (or figured out) and now my main two questions are:

1) I don't know exactly what "programmable" means when dealing with PTR?
2) How exactly do the hookups work with PTR?

The second might not be "explainable" in an open forum. Anyway, just curious. But I think I will be able to accomplish what I need after "thinking" through all this stuff on this forum. Smile

en2oh
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of en2oh
Quote:
On 2011-05-18 09:32, Matt Adams wrote:
Wmhegbli, you truly have a complicated mind, my friend! Goodness, I mean, if lighting isn't great for flying it over the audience, I'll just change it for that show and have it go back and forth across the stage. I have a super easy method for that. Having my start in street magic, I'm all about improvising! Smile There's absolutely no need to go crazy with this. All I need is a lesser version of Lance B's Space Ghost silks that he used to start his program with. Very cute, helped get the audience in the mood, and then whoosh it was over. Mine will actually tie into my opening act which is modern silk routine I developed.

So yeah...no big deal on the actual flying part. I'm thinking simple. I got most of my q's answered (or figured out) and now my main two questions are:

1) I don't know exactly what "programmable" means when dealing with PTR?
2) How exactly do the hookups work with PTR?

The second might not be "explainable" in an open forum. Anyway, just curious. But I think I will be able to accomplish what I need after "thinking" through all this stuff on this forum. Smile

As far as what Programmable means, in this context it relates to motion control technology that allows the operator to reproducably control a motor that moves an object through space. If you check out some of the magic sites on line, Sean has offered his DVD for sale detailing the technology and giving (if I understand the ad correctly) hook up information for several of his PTR driven effects.

There are several programmable servo controllers on the market that are used in puppetry and animatronic applications. They use either an external PC to record the servo / relay actions or in some cases, they have potentiometers on board that allow them to directly control the servo's (and record these signals for later playback). I think that's the technology in a nut shell.

I wish I could find that DVD here in Canada. Ordering from the states takes way too long to cross the border Smile At $29, the cost is more than fair.
Doug
Magicdoc88
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of Magicdoc88
Just checked, the Kennedy reel is available now.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
For a treat, here's a link to a 1979 Harry Balckstone Jr. performance of his dad's version of the "Dancing Handkerchief".....very old school...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rna5RbFcCZc
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
This was on the HBO special and before Harry went to more light on stage with a white eyelash type curtain.

Yes old school, low tech but it works.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Flying Silk (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL