The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » First go of the season (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

teachersears
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of teachersears
First time out of the season (strike one) was at a farmer's market (strike two) on a cold (strike three) and windy (strike four) day.

I went because I said I would. Lady who runs the big festival some of you helped me write the letter for invited me to come to the opening day of the town's farmers market. As I've mentioned before, it seems that people at the farmers' markets are there on a mission, they have tomato plants to get home and get in the ground, garage sales to hit, etc. In addition, it was too cold to stop and watch a magic show, heck it was apparently too cold to go to a farmers' market as I bet there weren't more than 20 pedestrians on premises at any one time. I ended up working a trickle, really more of a slow drip. I sort of got through my whole show once, but even then not really, and just for 4 people, counting kids. In the end I didn't make gas money. Drum roll please - 7-bucks. Here's what I learned.

I can always use more practice. I don't like to practice the same thing over and over. But I need to. Things I had down last year, were a bit sloppy yesterday. Plus it was cold. I joked to the popcorn man next to me that I needed to turn my thermostat down to 50 and practice that way some.

Have fun. One of the things that got me out of the car as I sat and watched that cold empty market that day was the kids. They kept showing up. And I did have fun with my sponge balls and tt. Also enjoyed just saying good morning to folks and noticing how they eye-ball a magician they way they might someone running a shell game. "Avoid eye contact, Martha, and keep moving" "But just one quick glance, he's so mysterious."

Be ready for anything. I've been working on my lines for my set show. But my set show requires a few folks, and weather comfortable enough to hang around in for a few minutes. What I wasn't ready for was to do strolling magic (even if it was them strolling up to me). Again, tt, sponge balls, invisible deck for the few adults approached wanted to see a trick. I've got a few close up tricks in my rep. But I didn't have them with me. BTW, it's been said before, but the invisible deck killed (as did the balls and tt).

Balloons? This may have been a better venue to sit and twist at. See: Be ready for anything above, and my recent balloon post.

Wind sucks. I mean, seriously.

Cut. Cut. Cut. In doing the parts of my set (just not altogether), I was still able to see where I needed to cut. I like to add too much. Fun stuff, silly stuff, even serious stuff, maybe mostly good stuff, but too much. Maybe I'll include a lot of that stuff if my street show becomes and inside stage show, maybe not. But this is probably the most practical thing I got out of yesterday.

Talk to people. Spent a lot of time talking to the popcorn guy I set up next too. Turns out he's kind of a big time popcorn guy, has a lot of venues around here, some really big. He saw me doing good work (most of the time - *** wind). I gave him a card as a courtesy. He said he knew people that sometimes needed someone like me. Who knows. He was a nice guy and let me warm up some next to his kettle.

Next time will be better as I apply what I learned.
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Teachersears
Thanks for the reflections. Here in Australia we are changing from summer to winter but in my area even winter is pleasant most of the time.
I agree that having the modeling balloons ready as a back up can help bring in the petrol money on a slow day.
I am currently re working my busking kit to include a selection of balloons and every thing in one bag.
Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
I remember those terrible Santa Ana winds on Venice Beach...wiped out the whole day and turned the whole place into a ghost town
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » First go of the season (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL