The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Marotta Fish Production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
I was watching vol 1 of Rich Marotta Comedy Magic video series and one of the first things he did was a production of a bowl of fish from a folded bag. I waited for the explanation which never came. Does anyone have any idea where this might be in print? I'm sure the method is fairly simple but I really liked it a lot.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
irishmagic
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of irishmagic
the item is for sale on most magic web sites. try, http://www.hocus-pocus.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You could buy an Abbotts production bowl, ($50.00 including the holder) gaff a paper bag and perform the bowl production.

The “wallet to shopping bag” is not a magic trick, but rather something sold at household goods stores and from some novelty catalogues like Lillian Vernon. ($19.00) Buy it, gaff it, and do the bowl production.

Or, you could make it real easy on yourself and buy Rich’s Fish Bowl Production, which includes the wallet that turns into a shopping bag, (properly gaffed) the bowl and the holder, and the Rich Marotta routine/handling for about $200.00.

Rich’s routine/handling from years of actual performance is what you are actually buying; he’s throwing in the props to make it easy on you!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
I saw Rich perform and explain this effect at a lecture in Vancouver B.C. recently. Truly a beautiful little bit of business. I could not find an "Abbott's production bowl" on the Abbott's website, does this item really work like Rich's?

I couldn't find the little zip up wallet to shopping bag on the Lillian Vernon site either. I'm usually pretty good with Google.
Anyway, if you can use a flashy gag like this in your routine, I would certainly recommend buying it from Rich, his is really quite well done. It is not a close-up bit though, you might get away with it in well controlled parlor environment, but for stage (even a small stage) setting, it's perfect!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Scott, the bowl is not listed on the Web site, it is in their printed catalogue and available via a phone call. It is very similar (perhaps the exact same) to the one Rich uses.

My Vernon catalogue is two years old… sorry. But the Wallet to Shopping bag is out there. (after all Rich found it in quantity!) I have three (none for sale) and actually use one as a shopping bag! (one gimmicked a la Rich and the other used to drop things into during a show)

I think that anyone interested in performing this should buy it from Rich for his handling and the convenience of getting all the props needed. You could then spring off and develop your own handling.

Actually, I have performed the bowl production close-up. The bowl is set-up inside the lid of my case, sitting on a stool by the table. It is stolen in the act of standing up and “popping” open a paper bag. (gaffed for the trick) I use an old Abbott’s fish bowl, which actually looks like a real fish bowl and not a dish. Unfortunately Abbott’s does not make or sell the fish bowl version anymore.

With proper placement and management, this can be performed in a parlor venue. I know a clown performing it for kid’s parties!
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Thanks George,
What I really want to produce, is one of those small globe shaped fish-bowls. I see them used with square circles a lot, but I'd like to try doing it in a way like Rich's production.

I've seen items advertised that let you produce a champagne bottle. I'm trying to figure a way to rig a harness and use a rubber cap. But I don't think I could get away with wearing it from the start. I think I would have to steal the load pretty close to the production. That's the advantage of Rich's bowl, because it is more of a dish shape, it allows you to wear it much more discretely.

I want to be able to place the bowl out on a table and let it be examined.
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
Rich sells the bowl himself - Hey, go to the source. His web site is http://www.palookaproductions.com.

And to irishmagic - All of the sewing is now being done by an old dear from Co. Mayo. God bless her, it's me very own mither-in-law.
You have to give it away to keep it.
Docc Spurlock
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago & Arizona
165 Posts

Profile of Docc Spurlock
Hi Scott:

About the champagne bottle production! I was just to a Ammar Lecture and he produced a champagne bottle, and did not see it coming. It was great. He has it in his Topit and just plucks it out with the silk in his hand. It was in his lecture note that I purchased. He has a whole routne with it after he produces it. It's great.
"CREATOR OF THE FLOATING FLAME TO DOVE"

If you are always looking back you can't see what's in front of you so when you bump your head again you have no one to blame but yourself!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Scott, I agree with you that the globe style fishbowl is a prettier production than the dish version.

Did you know that Jack Gwynn produced a large globe type fish bowl full of water and live fish on the center floor of a nightclub and then produced a stack of nine fish bowls to finish his act? Of course he did not use body loads.

Sam Berland used to produce a small globe style fishbowl from under his Fez as part of his close up act.

Tony Marks produced a large 17-pound rabbit in the round and until his act was recently published no one (other than his wife and a builder) knew exactly how he pulled it off.

Where I am going is to encourage you to think about the final effect and then work backwards from there rather than think “Rich Marotta produces a fish bowl from a shopping bag via a BL.”

I will be interested in hearing what you finally come up with.
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Good advice Harry, Thank you. It is kind of a back burner item for me right now, but I have a vision for a parlor/small stage act that would have a production phase to it. I want to produce both fire and water.
Just having you say "work backward from the desired effect instead of working forward from other people's methods", is very helpful in putting me back on a more creative track.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Marotta Fish Production (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL