The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Get performing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magikman97
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of magikman97
I was wondering if anyone could tell me some tips for approaching people on the streets and people in resturants.
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Just go up introduce yourself and ask them if they would like to see something magical. Most say yes, some say no. Don't take the no's personal, they have reasons for the no. Keep asking.
Life of Magic!
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
Know who you are and be relax on who you are.no is not a bad word.find a line that work for you when apoching a table or on a street.learn to have fun.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Magikman97 do you mean to just get some practice for performing? Or do you mean like street busking or get paid restraunt work.

If you mena just to practice go to any public place were pepole just hang about. Out side coffe seating and coffe shops are my fave. I have a few tricks which I can do and repeat which are eye catchers. then once a intrest is noted I perform a trick that I am trailing out. my eye catchers are rope move a from fibre optics and a improtu chop cup. Also I do orgarmi and if pepole watch me fold ill give them it as a gift and take to opptunity to share somthing else.

(you migth want to look into busking laws because you could make a extra bit of cash as you go)
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I make eye contact, I smile and then I approach them.

You may want to make an arrangement with a restaurant owner/shopping mall/hotel needing entertainment in their lobby to provide free magic on a busy night...it may even turn into a regular gig.

Simplest answer: just do it.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
123crampt
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of 123crampt
Don't get bummed out if you receive too many nos, just keep asking and you'll get heaps of practice
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
If I'm being paid to perform I never ask them if they want to see some magic however I do introduce myself and let them know why I'm there,i then do my opening effect which is usually something quick and visual and go by the reaction to see if I should perform some more.
magikman97
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of magikman97
Quote:
On 2011-06-12 00:57, Yellowcustard wrote:
Magikman97 do you mean to just get some practice for performing? Or do you mean like street busking or get paid restraunt work.

If you mena just to practice go to any public place were pepole just hang about. Out side coffe seating and coffe shops are my fave. I have a few tricks which I can do and repeat which are eye catchers. then once a intrest is noted I perform a trick that I am trailing out. my eye catchers are rope move a from fibre optics and a improtu chop cup. Also I do orgarmi and if pepole watch me fold ill give them it as a gift and take to opptunity to share somthing else.

(you migth want to look into busking laws because you could make a extra bit of cash as you go)

I don't mean practice like real jobs and such
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
I go to public events, fete's and the like, sometimes asked for by a charity sometimes I just go since I want the practice performing.

This works for me.

Go up smile, hand out to shake hands, "Hi, I'm Danny and I am providing (or have been asked to provide) free magical entertainment. Would you like to see some magic"?

Make your life easy, approach families with kids, young couples, elderly couples. Avoid anyone who looks like they have something on their minds. The nice thing about fetes is that everyone is there to chill (by and large) so it is easier than street.
echomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of echomagic
Join a lccal magic club. You will be able to perform for people who are interested in your magic and they will ( hopefully ) give feedback to improve your magic. You may be suprised to learn that there is a SAM or IBM group nearby.
magikman97
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of magikman97
Thanx for the input. I live in st louis and other than SAM (society of amateur magicians) I have not found a club near me.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Just a few links for things in the Café that migth help. You may know these already.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=5&29

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......=6&36898

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......92&25142

Aslo check these out lots of great articals
http://magicfriday.blogspot.com/
http://jimmytalksalot.blogspot.com/

Hope these help. If you want more just let us know
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
Give them money... or tell them a story... or don't do it... or do funny sounds... or tell them you are like harry potter...

Still Laughing
Rectify
View Profile
New user
Florida
55 Posts

Profile of Rectify
Be confident in your effects and have them down pat. Before you approach someone have your effects prepared, and know exactly what you're going to do and in what order. The Ostrich Factor by Gerald Edmundson is also great, so I've heard.
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas
325 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 21:53, Rectify wrote:
The Ostrich Factor by Gerald Edmundson is also great, so I've heard.

Thank you, Rectify for mentioning my book. Reviews can be found here:
http://www.geraldedmundson.com/tof1/TOFReviews.htm

Thanks again!
Gerald
ronnyman
View Profile
New user
Indiana
56 Posts

Profile of ronnyman
I had some business cards printed up and then had fliers that offered a free ten minute show to restaurant and club owners for the purpose of getting hired. I did a lot of free shows before getting hired but it was good practice and a lot of places gave me good criticism.
juggling1
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
196 Posts

Profile of juggling1
When street performing I usually stand right off the beaten path shuffling and florishing my cards till I notice I have caught someones attention out of the corner of my eye then I will approach them with the cards spreed and they know what to do from there. I think this mysteriously off beat approach adds to the mystery of their experience. At that point I draw a few other people in and can usually keep a captive audience from that point because human nature is to want what others have and when people passing by see someone experiencing something exciting they want in on it to. Think about the first part like fishing for people with cards and the second part fishing for people with people.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Get performing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL