The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Quiet Zones (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Skotster
View Profile
Regular user
Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania
109 Posts

Profile of Skotster
I just read an article about Central Park in New York kicking out a bunch of buskers. The news story features musicians, but I think it still relevant.

What are your thoughts on this?

New York's Central Park gives musicians the boot
joe yang
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
296 Posts

Profile of joe yang
The gentrification of NY continues. If the residents around Central Park want to hear classical music, they will have it piped into their limos and penthouse apartments. The unwashed tourists hoards should be spending their time and money on Times Square and leave the park to the yuppies. LOL!
aka Mike Booth
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Work available in Central Park!!
Wanted: Statues/crate slugs, mime artists ...
Shhh !!
The presentation makes the magic.
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
You have something against $8 to $10 beers, $8 glasses of wine, and $7 to $9 sandwiches?
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
I think folks need to step up and contact NYC Park Authority and voice thier disgust with this illegal censoring.

Make your voice heard - even if you do not ever perform there, make a call, send a letter.

I send about a dozen letters this morning to various folks in thee NYC gub'ment saying I enjoy coming to the park to see the buskers, and they are ruining my appreciation of the park by chasing them away.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
joe yang
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
296 Posts

Profile of joe yang
Quote:
On 2011-06-12 17:05, MagiCol wrote:
Work available in Central Park!!
Wanted: Statues/crate slugs, mime artists ...
Shhh !!

LOL! Musician statues! Air guitar bands! What else?
aka Mike Booth
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
This might help;

http://www.nycgovparks.org/

You're welcome.

The irony is in the article they state they're not "anti-music," they're "pro-quiet." But the places they've chosen to be "quiet zones" just happen to be the best busking spots!

Wait, this might be better.

http://www.nycgovparks.org/contact_us/html/contact.html

...and I sent them my opinion, for what it's worth.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
joe yang
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
296 Posts

Profile of joe yang
It's an attitude of privilege and entitlement. Never mind Central Park is a public space, maintained by tax dollars, for public use. Without public support, Central Park would quickly fall apart. The residents who live around Central Park could not afford to maintain the park out of their own money. However, because they live in the neighborhood, they feel they have a right to dictate how the park is used. They hold street performance in disdain, the performers and the audiences. They can try to spin it any way they want.
aka Mike Booth
Bobert
View Profile
New user
Stephenville TX
88 Posts

Profile of Bobert
WOW. That is crazy. This is insane. This is terrifying. Last time I was in CP I could have sworn they already had a few select areas where people were asked nicely to not play loud music or anything like that. (I think Sheep meadow comes to mind.) But an actual ban on music in many places of the park is ridiculous. I also think there is a case like this before...I will have to dig around and see if I can find the name to court case. I think it might have involved Chicago. Does this ring a bell to anyone else? Honestly I do not seeing this ban lasting. And if it is still in effect when I get back to NYC I think I'll have to dust off one of my saxophones...
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Well, I got an automated response. Let's see if it goes any further.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Haven't heard anything. Of course, the first thing that came to my mind was that this would be perfect if you do a silent act.
Bobert
View Profile
New user
Stephenville TX
88 Posts

Profile of Bobert
So has anyone heard anything new about these quiet zones? I will be back in NYC in little over a month and I was hoping to get out busking.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Yes, mime would work extremely well here - any sort of it. Afterall, it is the quiet they seek...

This also reminds me of what has happened on Key West where they have done something very similar to this in the town square area.
Bobert
View Profile
New user
Stephenville TX
88 Posts

Profile of Bobert
It is a real pitty. I need a bigger pitch then last time....I'll just have to find one that is not in CP.
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Once prevention is put in place, there are those who are immediately figuring a way around it.
Although mime would work, a more popular variation today would be the human statue - or simply do a silent magic show.
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Human statues are actually a form of mime.

I like the silent magic show idea! Nobody can say you are not following the quiet zone rules then!
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I'd be interested in whether they are going to ticket folks listening to their boom boxes.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
joe yang
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
296 Posts

Profile of joe yang
Call me a cynic, but is it about the quiet? Or is it about Uptown yuppies who want a private park? They just can't say that without sounding like liberal elitist. Once they shut down the musicians and speaking acts, they'll come after the silent acts.
aka Mike Booth
Bobert
View Profile
New user
Stephenville TX
88 Posts

Profile of Bobert
Joe,
I wish you were wrong but unfortunately I think you are right. It is makes me so sad when people believe they are above other people due to how much money they make, where they went to school, what they wear, so on and so on. I just hope we can have our side heard and get these great pitches back to the general public.
joe yang
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
296 Posts

Profile of joe yang
Fredrick Olmstead must be spinning in his grave!
aka Mike Booth
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Quiet Zones (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL