The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2003 entrée: Michael Rubinstein » » What do you keep your coins in? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
We all use coin purses to carry coins, but what other objects are being used today? I've seen business card holders in the shape of a little briefcase, mini coin purse suitcases, small bags, small card boxes...so, what else?
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
I keep 'em in a purseframe. All of them! Smile
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
I generally keep the coins that I am working/practicing with in a rectangular leather pouch which is fairly flat and has a spring opening.
I guess you would call it a squeeze purse.
The only thing I watch out for when I buy these is that they are lined. If not, the outside coins tarnish a bit. I believe this is caused by the tanning process used on the leather.
If they are not lined I simply take an old playing card cut it to size and use this as a liner. Seems to work out fine.
These purses come in a couple of colors so it's easy to separate the straight effects from the gaffed ones.

Dr. Rubenstein, thanks for the information as well as the inspiration.

Long Live Da' Bronx!!!!

Vincent Smile Smile Smile
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
I have a few things. When I am not performing I keep all my coins in seperate coin purses. My set of Kennedy's in one, Walking Liberty's in another, and a group of odd coins in a third. From there I take the ones I need to practice or grab whats coins I need for performance.

Chris
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I keep 4 regular Morgans in one of the those tiny purses a little bigger than the coins. They just fit so they don't jingle around in your pocket and there is less chance of losing one.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I carry my change in a coinpurse, really. It's a semicircle thing with the metal on the inside. While not exactly macho, it does not scream 'Liberace fan' either. And it keeps the coins quiet in my pocket. The magic coins go into an identical coinpurse.
I have two left in black, and a blue one.

I will refrain from commenting on men carying antique women's coin purses.

Does anyone carry their coins in the coin collector's display/storage units? That would be a very natural way to introduce one's unnatural coins Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Good idea, Jon! Are those purses you use the Japanese ones? They are very classy looking. I also use different color purses to hold my coins, so I remember where they are. For storage though, I use a small fishing tackle box, and pill boxes the size of half dollars. I fouhd a chinese looking box which I use for my chinese coins (natch!), and last Christmas I found these cool liile ring boxes that look like wrapped presents, but snap open. They can hold half dollar size coins. Right now they're empty, but I know that there's a trick in them thar boxes!
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I am partial to the Onosaka Coin Purses
They are low profile with the clasp built into the frame.

I have never found anything else I liked to carry them in except for my pockets.

I will borrow them whenever possible!
Daniel Faith
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

I just met a guy who is doing the Cigar from purse routine using those purses. I have experimaneted with using that purse instead of a box in my Black hole routine from my DVD, as it looks kind of like the hole I use!
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
I keep most of my coins in two different cases... Gaffed coins get there own little leather cases, flat 2 inch by 2 inch with a flap that tucks in. Each case has a tag with the name of whats in it.

Any normal coins I keep in a plastic backup tape case. An old case from an old computer I had... The pastic case is 3 inches by 2 inches by about 1/2 inch deep.
:spinningcoin:
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
I just was going through some stuff and found some more cases that I use to store coins... If you go to any coin shop, or in my case a hobby store that has coin collecting stuff, they have what look like clear film containers (many sizes) that are acid free for storing dollars, halfs, quarters, etc...
Smile
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Sometimes, when I am going for the throat and am going to use several different gaffs during a show, I'll load some identical "Crown Royal" bags. The bags I use are the ones the little miniature bottles come in.

By placine bags in several pockets, I can engineer a switch by putting the first bag away in the pocket with the SECOND bag! That way, when I finish one routine, I can put away the bag in the next pocket and, when I fish it out later, no one is the wiser. This way, the switch is essentially invisible.

Also, having a watch pocket sewn into your trousers is a great way to optimize your use of pocket space. I have one sewn into each of the front pockets of my performance slacks and tux pants. It's like having an extra pocket in there and the smaller space keeps coins from jingling as much.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
What a coincidence Jon mentioned the collectors display maps. I just bought one yesterday to keep the coins that are not in my daily-use performance material organised.
It looks really cool but I was a little surprised how much I collected in only a few years...the map weighs about 2 kilo's!!!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
Hmmmm...I'm not big on carrying around a coin purse or something like that. It just seems to me to be a little odd in the spectators eye.

Was thinking about this though....what if you were to take your normal pants/slacks, whatever, and alter the pockets? Maybe have 3 or 4 pouches that hold a coin a piece. This would keep the coins quiet and could be made to have very easy access to the coins(maybe 2 pouches on both sides of the pockets).
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Krumb.

Many people have thought of this and it is a great idea!

I am still waiting to have my mom alter my pockets. When she finally gets the time to do so I will be really happy!

Chris
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Hmmm, good ideas guys, reminds me of the pocket I put on the outside of my pants leg, hidden by the same material, and in a special spot that I can't reveal here, which allowed me to secretly get a coin during my act without going to the pocket.
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
Just for storage I use a item that my wife got from work. She's a nurse. One day (several years back) she came home with a minature exact replica of a back pack. It's black. It originally contained a couple of mouth barriers for administrating CPR. She gave one to me and that's what I use to store the coins I use the most. It's the most cool "bag" that I've seen. It's approx. 4 inches tall and about 3 inches wide (across the front) and approx. 2 inches wide from front to back. It also has a tab with a keychange ring on top. It's very durable (I'm not sure about the type of fabric, but it is not cloth). Being that it is a replica of an actuall backpack it has two bands of material (the "shoulder straps")on the back and could easily be held by running your belt through the "straps". I have yet to use it in that manner but I think it would be cool and I don't think spectators would question it much, if at all. But I love it for storage and as my wife would tell you,"it's cute!" I wish I could get more of these. IMO it rocks!
Smile Smile Smile
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Now that sounds cool!
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
Where do I keep my coins? Well, I keep them all over me. I can produce them from my elbow, through my pants fabric......just kidding.

Well, I have 2 coin purses with the hidden clasps, another one which is about the same size, except, it uses a zipper (I had the spring-loaded coin purse but it broke one day) and 2 bigger purse to put the rest of my coins in (compliments from the little lady).
King Of Pop
View Profile
Veteran user
Estonia
392 Posts

Profile of King Of Pop
Regular coins I keep in my pockets or even borrow them.

I made an extra pocet into my wallet that looks very natural. So I take regular coins out from one and cimmiked coins from other pocket.

Smile
God Bless You, I Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2003 entrée: Michael Rubinstein » » What do you keep your coins in? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL