The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Flyers in Stores (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
I've printed flyers promoting my birthday party services.

I thought I'd put them in places with bulletin boards such as Starbucks and the public library.

I am finding that most places will not allow flyers for any commercial services.

Is there anywhere that you have found that allows you to post your flyers?
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Privately owned coffee houses, hambuger joints, party stores, other restaurants, convenience stores. Now that you are interested in accessing them, you will be suprised just how many there are - but you do have to be looking.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Curt;

If you find a party store and speak to the manager, they may allow you to place your flyers in the store

If it is a chain store, the company policy may not allow 3rd party advertisements, again find the manager and give him, or her your cards, they can personally refer you as someone they have spoken with.

Offering the manager a referral fee with go a long way in having them talk you up to a store customer
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Curt where ARE you? It's hard to find on your website where you live and work.

Anyway, if you are in a major city there is probably a company that takes your flyers monthly and distributes and hangs them up all over town for about 5 cents each, and considering the leg work and success that's not a lot to pay. We have two good companies that offer this in the SF Bay Area.

But please consider your target market, product, and price. Will a flyer in a grocery store get the attention of your target client?

Best of luck,
Walt
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Walt;
After a careful examination of curt’s website, it looks like he is in Huston Texas… maybe
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
I have just moved to Tyler, Texas.

My working website is:

EastTexasClown.com

or

ProfessorQB.com

(They both direct to the same place).

I have just moved and am just getting the website up so had not listed it on TheMagicCafe. But now it's should be in my sig.

ChurchFun.com is a website I do just for fun.

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Curt;

do they have toy stores, or party stores in Tyler Texas?
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
I checked with Toy-R-Us but they said "No" (I am finding that most national chains have a policy against any commercial flyers, which I can totally understand).

I'm hitting Party stores, Day Cares, Balloon shops, and the like. But, I'm trying to focus on locally owned stores. I am finding them more receptive.

Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-07-15 21:55, Howie Diddot wrote:
Curt;

If you find a party store and speak to the manager, they may allow you to place your flyers in the store

If it is a chain store, the company policy may not allow 3rd party advertisements, again find the manager and give him, or her your cards, they can personally refer you as someone they have spoken with.

Offering the manager a referral fee with go a long way in having them talk you up to a store customer

You may have missed my post; I have been refused the opportunity to leave my advertising at the front desk ; I have always asked to speak with the manager and have been successful in leaving my cards with management to refer to customers inquiring about entertainment at the party
philblackmore
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of philblackmore
I tried flyer- ing in some local shops. Just asking if I could put a postcard sized flyer in the window. National chains generally said no, some shops put it up then removed it a few days later. Charity shops were the hardest, none of them would let me put a postcard up.
I got an enquiry from one of the shopkeepers Smile
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Phil,

in a window is asking too much, it’s interfering with the total look of the display of the window.

My best luck has been small flyers in a holder that I bring in to place on a table somewhere away from the counter; it may not be much, but it’s better than not being in the store at all.

I buy the appropriate holder by searching for lots for sale on eBay, or the internet
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Instead of asking to display your flyers or business cards on their store counter or in their window, why not offer a rack with free copies of your birthday party planning booklet or your party planning tips tri-fold brochure (which would have your contact info on it)?

That way it's easier for them to see it's about helping their customers.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Donald that’s an excellent idea, the only hold back is the rack with the party planning booklet must be small enough to not be taking up display space, every square foot in a store is selling space for the store's merchandise and the rack can’t interfere with that.

You may have a much better chance of having the owner agree if you custom print the booklet with both your and the store’s name on it
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Yes, if there is some resistence, then offer to share advertising on the tips booklet with the store. They might even pay for part of the printing (JV). In that circumstance, some stores might even be willing to stuff the booklet / brochure right into the bag, instead of merely having them on the counter.

The next question that someone is going to ask is "How do I create my own party tips booklet?"

That's been discussed before. Here's one thread to read:

--> Magic Café thread titled... Need......ive away

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
This post just gave me an idea. I was just at an ice cream parlor in an upscale neighborhood that had a post board available and separately a counter top that had several brochure holders filled with flyers of items they offered customers. One of them was for Birthday Party events at their parlor. I am going to go tomorrow and ask the owner if I can place my post cards on that counter top in a card holder with a small attached sign that offers customers 25 percent off for shows performed during parties at the ice cream parlor. This will give me the ability to set my post cards in the premier area and be available for any customer, whether or not they want me for a party there. I think it will be something that the store may want because it offers their customers a "special" value. Has anyone else done this with success? I will let you know how I make out.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Charlie;

I think you’re almost there; how about this, instead of offering the client 25% off, let the client pay full price and work out a deal with the store owner for you to pay a certain amount towards a special present for the party.

Then advertise on the flyer you place in the store, that you will include the "special present" with the show.

This way you are offering a deal, the party kids gets something special and the store owner get an extra sale and makes a profit from you.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2011-07-16 14:20, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Instead of asking to display your flyers or business cards on their store counter or in their window, why not offer a rack with free copies of your birthday party planning booklet or your party planning tips tri-fold brochure (which would have your contact info on it)?

That way it's easier for them to see it's about helping their customers.

- Donald

Quote:
On 2011-07-16 14:34, Howie Diddot wrote:
Donald that’s an excellent idea, the only hold back is the rack with the party planning booklet must be small enough to not be taking up display space, every square foot in a store is selling space for the store's merchandise and the rack can’t interfere with that.

Place it near the exit. I see a lot of candy/toy vending machines in that area.
Good thinking Donald. Here is a link to brochure display stands: http://www.displays2go.com/hplh5.html
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-07-17 10:25, Dynamike wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-16 14:34, Howie Diddot wrote:

Place it near the exit. I see a lot of candy/toy vending machines in that area.

Every candy vending machine placed in the store is revenue for the store; it is amazing how much profit is realized by the candy machines, a round 1 cent gum ball rolling down and around the ramp sells for 25 cents.

Most parents give the kid a quarter by the checkout counter to keep him busy while they stand in line to pay; it’s brilliant
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
A clown friend of mine would always drop in at party stores if he had time between jobs.

These were places he had already established some relationship with.
5 minutes of time every couple of weeks kept him front of mind of the shop staff
and sometimes a possible client

Timothy
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-07-17 18:30, MrHyde wrote:
A clown friend of mine would always drop in at party stores if he had time between jobs.

These were places he had already established some relationship with.
5 minutes of time every couple of weeks kept him front of mind of the shop staff
and sometimes a possible client

Timothy

I agree Tim;

In my first post on this thread that I think was missed, I mentioned when entering a chain party store start off by asking for the manager and talking to him or her and give business cards to start building a relationship.

It works much better to have them know you personally then to just walk in and place cards in a box without saying anything to the employees
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Flyers in Stores (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL