The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » C-M-H (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SimonG-97
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of SimonG-97
Hi I hear crazy mans handcuffs is in tarbells, I presume under a different name ? could any one shed any light on what its called in tarbells?
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
It's called the "Uncanny Penetrating Rubber Bands." It's not the same as Crazy Man's Handcuffs, but the effect is similar.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Its in vol 7, but I think I've heard that its not described well in Tarbell, and that you should look for another source to learn CMH.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
As Dr. JK pointed out, it is in fact the same idea, though not C.M.H. and as John pointed out, it is not described well, unless you have decent (read: good) interpretational skills.

One book that does clearly illustrate the Crazy Mans Handcuffs is called Elastrix. The Penetrating Bands is its title there, and if my memory serves me correctly, I believe that Michael Ammar is the one responsible for the name Crazy Mans Handcuffs.
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
493 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Michael Ammar wrote in his book "The Magic of Michael Ammar", that the the name "Crazy Mans Handcuffs" is an idea from Daryl from the year 1980. By the way in this book the trick is described very very very good (pages 238 - 248).
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Michael Ammar also published a manuscript on the crazy Man's Handcuffs by the same name. Very well discribed in detail.
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
The Ammar manuscript is excellent if you can find a copy. He describes the technique very well but also goes over the theory behind how this should be performed to make it most effective.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
It is true that the Ammar manuscript which details the work and theory on C.M.H. is hard to come by, and it is indeed excellent! If you have too much trouble finding it, look for the Rubber Band Magic DVDs by Dan Harland, or Extremem Rubber Band Magic by Joe Rindfleisch - both excellent sources of rubber band magic, and both do a great job in detailing the working of C.M.H., though they do not really get into theory as much as Ammar does.
SimonG-97
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of SimonG-97
I only really wanted the procedure of pulling band through band , I was hoping to put together my own routine with it , if the description in Tarbells isn't to great ill have a look at elastrix. Thanks Dr . JK for the name of it in there Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-07-25 05:34, SimonG-97 wrote:
I only really wanted the procedure of pulling band through band , I was hoping to put together my own routine with it , if the description in Tarbell's isn't to great ill have a look at elastrix. Thanks Dr . JK for the name of it in there Smile

I don't know of any source material that will only give you one part of a complete trick. Learning a the original will help you in more then learning a move it will give you insight as to the proper presentation of the trick to make it a trick and not a puzzle.

Elastrix will also give you more then just the move. As it also covers several tricks with bands. I would suggest you purchase Elastrix over Tarbell book, it is cheaper and give you the information you want.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
The manuscript used to be available anywhere very inexpensively (sad, since this is such a wonderful effect!). Actually, a quick Google search suggests that it is still available from some online magic retailers, but I'll leave it up to you to do that research.

I would also add that the Ammar manuscript is identical to his description in his book, "The Magic of Michael Ammar." I got the manuscript first a long time ago, and it whet my appetite for his book. You may find that it does the same for you. Good luck!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
SimonG-97
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of SimonG-97
Well I Already own Tarbells, so no worries there, admittedly I'm not at all experienced in rubber band magic at all, but if you guys say Elastrix is worth getting, then it obviously is. I was attracted to C-M-H because it uses two normal rubber bands and give it away with out worrying to much , So thanks for your help guys.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
If you're not interested in doing a lot of rubber band magic, you could buy another source that has other tricks your interested in. I've found it in Sankeys Amazing Magic Tricks anyone can do (lots of effects, in a 2 DVD set), The Magic of M. Ammar (a very good book), or, drum roll, Murday's Link! This shows many ways to do CMH, but also shows how to do a reverse CMH (and create the "link", acutally inter locked is more descriptive), and how to *link* 2 rubber bands (as in linking rings, so, linked, not just inter-locked), or *link* a rubber band to a ring. A very good compilation.

JOhn
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Michael Ammar's manuscript on Crazy Man's Handcuffs is still pretty widely available. It is 10 pages long and runs about $9 to $10 most places.

You can get it here: http://www.magic.org/store/product_info.php?products_id=4127 Or here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Crazy-Mans-Handcuffs......a79bf1c0

Unfortunately, though this would be perfect for a PDF download purchase, I have only seen it sold in hard-copy form - stapled sheets - so you end up paying shipping for it.

Thanks!

Jim
philip tilston
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of philip tilston
I had a problem learning the move from the Elastrix booklet but found it very easy to follow on the Dan Harlan rubber band dvd. I think the Michael Ammar classic renditions dvd covers it well also.
mercedesrules
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of mercedesrules
Quote:
On 2011-07-26 22:47, J-Mac wrote:
Michael Ammar's manuscript on Crazy Man's Handcuffs is still pretty widely available. It is 10 pages long and runs about $9 to $10 most places.

You can get it here: http://www.magic.org/store/product_info.php?products_id=4127 Or here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Crazy-Mans-Handcuffs......a79bf1c0

Unfortunately, though this would be perfect for a PDF download purchase, I have only seen it sold in hard-copy form - stapled sheets - so you end up paying shipping for it.

Thanks!

Jim

.......I am trying to learn this trick from this manuscript but have found numerous annoying, careless editing mistakes that make it very hard to follow.

For instance: "The right middle finger is just pinching the top of the band against the top of the right middle finger." (page 4, Ill.7)
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Another vote for Ammar's book; I have it and it's a treasure trove of effects, theory and does have about the clearest explanation of CMH I've seen; although curiously enough the third and final phase of the routine that really kills Ammar doesn't cover, and I haven't found anywhere else.

Essentially, on the off beat after the CMH in spec's hands bit, you cause the two bands to 'melt' together into one. It's a logical ending to CMH and simply drives specs crazy.

You can find it in... "Practical Magic", published by Hinkler Books; ISBN # 978-1-7418-5561-6. The book itself is excellent, filled with some really great effects and very clear photo illustrations.

You'll find the full CMH routine, CMH in spec's hands and the final phase "Rubber Band Meltdown" in the section "Masterful Magic". Pages 147, 150 and 155 respectively.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
I don't have it on me right now but I beleive that "melting" phase is also taught on Ammar's Classic Renditions 3. I learned it from him at a lecture and he gave us the video. I watched it a couple times a while back but haven't visited it much because he taught it so well in person.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-10-03 13:04, mercedesrules wrote:
Quote:

Thanks!

Jim

.......I am trying to learn this trick from this manuscript but have found numerous annoying, careless editing mistakes that make it very hard to follow.

For instance: "The right middle finger is just pinching the top of the band against the top of the right middle finger." (page 4, Ill.7)

So is your complaint that the drawing the reference has the right middle finger over the right middle finger. I believe that is why they provided a drawing. When I find a description in error, I usually go through the material 1st and make any corrections to the information provide. Then when I go through it with props in hand, I don't have to stop and re-correct the writing each time.

Before computers I purchased a book by a well known magician who is now into thread work. I had to rewrite the whole book, as I could not understand one sentence.

Today it the fault of the computer and word processor program with an automatic spell check. For instance if you type do and to, they are both spelled correct, but in the wrong place or use of the word in a particular sentence. This is becoming increasingly common even with very expensive books. It is the fault of the proof reader not doing his job, if one was asked. I have written things and reread them and never noticed the error, so I always try to ask someone to proof read my typing. I am sure many of you have noticed this in my posts. I just never see the error in placement of words used.
mercedesrules
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of mercedesrules
Quote:
On 2013-10-03 14:52, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-03 13:04, mercedesrules wrote:
Quote:

Thanks!

Jim

So is your complaint that the drawing the reference has the right middle finger over the right middle finger.

No. It should have read "over the right *index* finger"

Quote:
I believe that is why they provided a drawing. When I find a description in error, I usually go through the material 1st and make any corrections to the information provide. Then when I go through it with props in hand, I don't have to stop and re-correct the writing each time.

Before computers I purchased a book by a well known magician who is now into thread work. I had to rewrite the whole book, as I could not understand one sentence.

I am not a good enough magician to rewrite or correct well-known performers' work.

Quote:
Today it thea fault of the computer and word processor program with an automatic spell check. For instance if you type do and to, they are both spelled correct, but in the wrong place or use of the word in a particular sentence. This is becoming increasingly common even with very expensive books. It is the fault of the proof reader not doing his job, if one was asked. I have written things and reread them and never noticed the error, so I always try to ask someone to proof read my typing. I am sure many of you have noticed this in my posts. I just never see the error in placement of words used.

I am aware of this, Bill. I merely think writers owe it to their paying students to accurately tell us which fingers to use when performing intricate prestidigitations.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » C-M-H (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL