The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » "Well, have you ever performed before" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

newbstermagi
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of newbstermagi
When I call around trying to get gigs at Senior homes (I telephone places and speak to the activities manager or rec. director) They ask if I have ever performed in a senior living facility before, and I know the answer to this question: No. But(please forgive me as I talk about myself for just a second) I have almost a decade of being a performer on-stage in some capacity, I go to a performing arts High school and study Theatre. I have been doing magic seriously for a good 5 or 6 years. It is just that now, being older magic is able to be a full-time summer job for me, and I am trying to branch out to these venues. I feel like when I get these kinds of questions, they are hard to answer without making yourself sound like you've never performed in front of people as a magician before. For me, that couldn't be further from the truth. Then I feel like when I go to explain that now that I am older, I am ready to make it a part-time job. I equate it to other teenagers having "summer jobs". I guess what I am trying to convey to you guys is that although I know where I am coming from, I feel like any time I have to explain this, (about the summer job bit) I feel like I am making excuses. I want to know if there is a more professional answer to that question?
I hope I made sense, if I didn't please let me know. I will happily clarify.
Thanks for the help
Matt B.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Do you have any reference letters or quotes to share with the potential customer, even though the letters might be from customers you've had in other markets?

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Matt,

You might be missing the potential reason for their comment. I'm sure they're concerned with your experience if money is involved but more importantly they probably want to know if you have experience with this very specific demographic. Senior homes do need entertainment but it needs to be very appropriate for their residents. I'm sure they've had a lot of people come in doing their acts that were not tailored to their venue or audience to bad results.

I would tell them that although you haven't performed at senior centers specifically, you've performed for a long time and are very sensitive to their particular needs. You just want the chance to work with them and create a perfect show for that will suit their needs.
Ray Pierce
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
Ray is absolutely right. The Senior Care Facility/Senior Center market is unique. The residents/clients or attendees at these types of locations do have unique needs that are truly different from any other venue you may have performed for in the past. Some have dementia issues, many have hearing and sight problems, others have arthritis and mobility issues and may not be able to help out as an assistant like you are accustomed to. I've even had audience members walk away from the "stage" in the middle of volunteering saying "I just peed my pants!" So there are lots of unique issues associated with performing in this environment to be sure.

I'm sure you are a capable performer, but it might be a good idea to offer to do a few "showcase shows" for facilities/centers such as you are referring to...a shorter version of your normal show.....perhaps at no charge in exchange for a written evaluation/testimonial of your show at the conclusion and even approval for you to video tape the performance (including the reactions of the audience). I understand you want to make $$$ performing in this market, and I'm sure you can do it. It just might be a good idea to get that experience that the activity directors want in a performer for their residents/clients. Once you have a handful of these testimonials and video clips of happy and excited seniors watching your show, you'll have the ammunition necessary to leverage that into more paid shows in that market.

My guess is the experience of performing for this type of audience will open your eyes to some things that you hadn't imagined. With some honest reflection on your first few performances and a willingness to learn to do what it takes to entertain this type of audience, I'm sure you'll find it can be not only financially rewarding, but heart-warming as well to see these folks with a big smile on their face as a result of your show.

Best of luck in pursuing this market, and please report back on your experiences. OK??
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Matt, I understand your situation and applaud your efforts. We were all in that place at one point in our careers. I'm going to give you some advice for FREE that others may charge you good money for in a course, book or program. Please do not be offended but continue with an open mind.

There's a couple of things you need to know and remember. You are dealing with professional people in a professional position, representing residents at their property. They must operate in a manner that is both in the best interest of their residents and facility, and they must be accountable for the event and the results from hiring you or any entertainer. It is absolutely most important that you understand their position and think and proceed based on their perceptions, perspectives and mentalities, not yours. The need to do what's in the best interest for their facility and to cover their own a**es.

The other thing is although you are now in high school and have been doing magic for sometime, you are still a kid in their eyes and in the eyes of most of society. With that automatically (whether it's right or wrong) comes the mentality of beginner, amateur, and little or no experience. Definitely not a professional (someone who does this for a living or career). In your mind even though you've been doing magic for 5 or 6 years that's the same as saying I've been doing magic since I Was 10 or 12. How cute. This means little to anyone in an adult business world. In their eyes you're still a amateur kid magician. It is a fact you must accept, like it or not. Now I know this doesn't necessarily mean you are a bad performer, but it does indicate you only do have limited or minimal experience. And that if they hire you they are taking a professional risk.

Now with all that said, Senior facilities are a good starting grouond for amatuer or minimally experienced performers. You just need to position yourself and present yourself right.

Let me also say here performing for Seniors does come with it's own set of challenges that can be difficult for those that have never done this. They have a very hard time hearing, following the action, they respond slowly, will probably think you talk to fast, and their vision is often not the best. It's quite common that they will have difficulty following any type of direction for anything that involves a volunteer or spectator, and yes, there is always a few who will literally nod off and fall asleep during your performance. (I once had a lady fall and break her hip and later died during one of my performance (no "I really killed them" jokes please).

My advice is since you are perceived as an amateur don't try to lie or deceive any former experience to try to appear more professional. They will see through this quickly. What I would suggest is contact one or two of these places and offer to do a free a performance for their residents. Something like 30-30 minutes in their community or rec room. You might want to do this before another planned event like Bingo Night or some other planned event or activity. Maybe a family night when other non-Seniors will be there as well. This way if you have any problems the risk isn't as crucial to you as the performer or to the Activity Director who hired you.

This is also ideal for several other reasons. One, it will give you some performing experience in this area, as I am confident things will happen you never realized or even thought of.. It will be a good learning experience, but will give you one under your belt that you can use for a reference the next time anyone asks you what other Senior facilities have you performed for recently? (I'd even suggest doing this a town or two over from where you live so if there are problems in not in your home town you will be targeting in the future, and you appear to be working a larger area than just your hometown.

The second reason this is good is it can allow you to take someone with to videotape your show, or you could simply put a video camera on a tripod in the back of the room to record your show. This will allow you later to review your performance and see the problematic areas that need to be adjusted, fixed or improved. Part of growing as an entertainer is being able to accept criticism and being able to look at and review your performance objectively to see where you need improvement.

When calling be honest with them about your experience. Say something like "I have been a Junior Magician for six years now and am now looking to expand into more community performances and I was hoping we would be able to work together on something that might be mutually beneficial to the both of us. I'll be happy to provide a complimentary small performance at an upcoming currently scheduled event you may have, all I ask is that I can videotape my performance for personal future reference. Then perhaps if you like my performance, we could discuss other possibilities for booking my full show in the future." It could be a win-win situation for both of you. Her reputation is not on the line, it's not the main attraction at the event, you get some experience in this market, you get some footage (possibly for a demo if good enough), you can review and critique your performance afterwards, and most of all it's FREE to the Senior Facility. What an arrangement.

You are now not thinking like a teen or kid magician, but rather from your clients perspective. Who knows if you do well and she likes you, you may also get a letter of recommendation from her for your promo package.

It will be a learning experience and the first step in the direction you want to proceed. I have advised other performers who I coach and consult to this type of arrangement and it works well for other markets as well.

Best of luck, let us know your thoughts and how it goes.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
NOTE: Sorry when I started typing my above reply no one here had yet responded. It looks like some of us have offered the same advice, which is still good and very applicable. Great advice and help Donald, Ray & Al!
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
Mindpro: Very detailed and eloquently stated. We all wish Matt the best of luck in his journey towards professional (money-making) performances. While I'd assume he is technically sound in his magical performing abilities, the senior citizen market does bring its own unique set of challenges. I trust Matt will accept our advice in the spirit in which it was intended and go out and get the slice of niche experience he'll need to be successful in the magical arts arena.

On a related note, let's all keep this thread a secret and not let Mark Lewis anywhere near it. Should he discover this honest and well intentioned attempt to help an "up and comer" he would undoubtedly hijack the thread and insult all of us who are trying to be "magicians helping magicians". Shhhhhhhh ! ! !
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
This is in my mind a great example of what this board is at it's best. Geez, I wish this had been around when I was growing up! Then again we had 3 channnels on our B&W TV.
Ray Pierce
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Since my initial posting I've done a bit of quick research and feel perhaps I should clarify my thoughts. The advice I was offering is FOR WHEN SOMEONE IS READY TO DO THIS, READY TO PERFORM AT THIS LEVEL. If you are not ready, this can have disaster written all over it. I have checked some of your previous posts and get the feeling you have done much live performing or have any real performing experience. I feel to get the true assistance you are seeking you need to offer us the truths about your level of performance and previous experience.

Have you performed publicly in a structured performance situation or environment? If so, please explain and provide details.

As I eluded to earlier, you may have misrepresented yourself, therefore many of the responses and advice may be more than you are ready for. When you say "I've been doing magic seriously for 5-6 years" it implies you have been "doing magic" or some type of structured performing for 5-6 years. If in reality you have simply been "interested" in magic or "learning or practicing magic for 5-6 years" this is an entirely different situation.

This is exactly why the lady from the Senior facility was asking, because I am sure she has been down this road before and been burned badly by someone misrepresenting themselves.

If you have no or only minimal performance experience, you are most definitely not ready for the Senior facility or venues of this level yet.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Who is Mark Lewis LOL
newbstermagi
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of newbstermagi
Everyone, Thank you! Mindpro-I feel I should tell you a bit more about myself in order to clear up some things. If, after reading below you feel I misrepresented myself in my earlier posts, please know it is unintentional. I tried to keep the above short so as to get to the point of the post. That said, I do not take offense to anything you said, and I respect your opinion as a professional, as I do everyone else that posted here. I thank you for your taking the time to respond so thoroughly and eloquently. I only hope I do offend you in anything I say as well, or anyone for that matter. Now, let me go into more depth of my performance history.
I have been performing since I was 7, and am now 17. I have been interest in magic since 11-12.
I was interested in magic by age 4, but got away from the toy magic sets by age 11-12 (I will call it “real” and “Toy” magic strictly for distinction purposes. No offense intended to any member who may put out a magic set, as I am grateful I had them to start!) I started reading and watching all the magic books and DVDs I could get my hands on. I loved and still working with the famous 52 (NOT The Osmonds! A deck of cards.) I Love routining for the stage. Now, since I started working with real magic around the pre-teens, I had already been in many shows as an actor, so I knew what stage presence was. I feel that has always kept me ahead and allowed me to just create with whatever I felt like working with to routine a show.
As you guys were talking about a recommendation or audience thoughts, I will share a response I get often, not out of anything egotistical, only to give you the best possible explanation of where I am at that I can. They say that my presence and presentation was better than some adults they have seen. Whether I agree with this or not is irrelevant, but they insist on this! I have had shows that have gone great, and others that I KNOW they have not, but I know how to just role with any issue that may come up due to environment. I admit there were a couple duds in there, but for the most part, if they walk away having had a good time, I am happy. That compliment is unnecessary. I am not after that, only there enjoyment.
I have performed for the 55+ before, in church rec-room type shows or at parks, but I am not disagreeing that Senior Living Centers will be different, just that I have experience keeping the attention of the elderly.
I enjoy entertaining people any way I can. I know it is what I was meant to do (Corny as it sounds, I believe it.) And I want to get PAID to do this, and I do often, but branching out and fielding these questions is all new to me, and I am thankful for all your help. I hope I haven’t bored you to tears telling you about myself, and I hope that I have provided you with information that will help with anything else you wanted to add to this very interesting post
Thankfully
newbstermagi
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of newbstermagi
Matt B.
(after all that, bumped enter before my name)
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Matt - I am in a very similar position as you, in that I am a performing teenager. I have been able to overcome much of the concerns you are facing by having a website with action video. I highly recommend you get someone to video tape your shows. Do not use a tripod, unless you have someone very skilled in photography. You need audience reactions as well as footage from the high point of your effects. Multiple angles from a variety of shows will be most helpful. I have found nursing homes to be very receptive audiences for our show. The points about the help you can get on this forum are so true. I am light years ahead of where I would be if I had to do it all on my own.
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I have performed a fair amount of shows for Senior Citizens, and usually find them to be a receptive group who wants to enjoy themselves. In nursing homes, you definitely do run into some who are asleep or just staring off during your show, while others are engaged and interested. One thing I think is a must for this type of performance is a sound system. Almost all of them will be hard of hearing, and if they can't hear you, they will quickly lose interest unless your entire act is a visual one. I also recommend that you warm up to them at the beginning with some close up magic and conversation. You'll be amazed how many of them have seen Blackstone, or some other big name magician in their lifetime, and they'll want to tell you about it. Let them. If they like you, that's the first step toward them liking your act. Also, be sensitive in using volunteers - many of them probably cannot stand up comfortably for more than a minute or so. Using volunteers is good, but stage your show so that they can sit down on a chair you have provided, or remain seated in their own chair as you go to them. They are a fun group to work with and a good way to get started performing a stand up show, but they do require some special considerations.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Quote:
On 2011-07-28 19:04, LVMagicAL wrote:

On a related note, let's all keep this thread a secret and not let Mark Lewis anywhere near it. Should he discover this honest and well intentioned attempt to help an "up and comer" he would undoubtedly hijack the thread and insult all of us who are trying to be "magicians helping magicians". Shhhhhhhh ! ! !

Don't be silly, old chap. Nothing can be kept secret from Mark Lewis. I happen to be psychic after all. I am amused to see that the gospel magician who does kid shows and pretends that he does trade shows also does old age homes. Let us hope his imaginary trade show clients don't find out.

But then I do trade shows and senior centres too. In fact, I did one today. However, I make sure that there is mention of these minor activities on my website. In fact I probably do more senior centres than anyone on this forum and I have advised on the proper way to do them already somewhere else.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=2

I do these in conjunction with Magicana, a non-profit performing arts organisation that this twerp from Las Vegas knows very well since he took my avatar from that very site. They will not be pleased and neither am I since that photograph is copyright and is for the use of Magicana only. They took the picture and it is their property. I am asking politely that he remove it otherwise I shall be obliged to make a formal complaint about the matter both to Magicana and to the management of the Magic Café.
ViolinKing
View Profile
Veteran user
a loyal user has no more than
307 Posts

Profile of ViolinKing
@Newbster,
Don't waste your time. These secretaries, orderlies and senior-home directors are never going to be able to get past your voice and your age. Even if they were able to get around their prejudices, they will be put too much pressure on you to be successful, since they are taking a chance on you.

Perform wherever you are welcome to perform. In fact, if you have a video, post it in the "You ought to be in pictures" forum.

I'd love to watch it.

~Nick
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
Quote:
On 2011-07-28 22:19, Mark Lewis wrote:

But then I do trade shows and senior centres too. In fact, I did one today. However, I make sure that there is mention of these minor activities on my website. In fact I probably do more senior centres than anyone on this forum and I have advised on the proper way to do them already somewhere else.

AMAZING, Mr. Lewis (or should I call you SATAN?) You claim, rather nonchalantly, that you "did either a trade show or a senior center show today too". I find that amazing, and frankly unbelievable because while you were allegedly doing your trade show (or senior center show....you were quite vague on that issue), you STILL were able to post 33 incoherent rants here on the Café, beginning at 12:52 AM and continuing virtually non-stop through 11:09 PM on the day in question. Were you posting your rants from your SmartPhone while performing at the trade show (or senior center show as it were)? I can't imagine a Brit would be smart enough to do those two things at once.

Once again.....caught in your web of deceit, you narcissistic British dolt!
Edith
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
131 Posts

Profile of Edith
Well, I believe that it boils down to convincing the other person on the phone, that you are skilled and professional. I had the same problem before. What I did was first to lower my voice (high female voice isn't so convincing) and second I studied what words adults use in the professional world, because these words are indicators that you know the market. Especially how they phrase greetings and offers. People at banks usually must have the most trustworthy appearance of all because they will handlyyour money. So that's a good place to start.

If you feel like you are making excuses you are probably not ready yet. Sometimes I get the same questions but they rather make me smile and respond, sure I do. Usually I do this magic effect and people are .... and say things like .... . After that if they are still unsure I offer them to meet up with me in person to show them a few tricks of my show. Usually I just pack some strong close-up magic. Mostly when we meet up, they just want to settle everything and the decision is already made. At the end I just show them a trick to let them feel asured that they made the right decision in hiring me. That's great for you, too, because then you know the people beforehand and know what to expect which makes at least me a bit more relaxed before the show.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I agree with Mindpro. Very good advice. I would have simply put it like this:

Change your answer to, “Yes, there is nothing I love more. Here is a reference if you’d like it.” If you follow Mindpro’s advice you won’t be lying.

And for the record, I think your age has very little to do with this. If you want to work hard and learn you can be a success in this market.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Matt B, first of all, do NOT listen to Mark Lewis. He has been banned again from here for posting bull crap to people. As for working Nursing homes, contact http://www.perform4seniors.com and http://www.isaaclouie.com to get the perform for seniors course. This will not only help you in performing but in marketing too. I now have a steady income from senior centers and nursing homes because of this. you age has NOTHING to do with getting or losing gigs, it is your presentation and you are coming across as a kid on the phone. So do what others have suggested and run a 3 to 5 minute clip performing for seniors and visit the places in person with a business card and a small one page blurb about your senior show.

As a side note. The budget for senior centers is LOW, VERY LOW so your charges have to be low also. I do a half hour show for $50 and schedule 4 to 6 in a day. break a leg

Paddy
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » "Well, have you ever performed before" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL