The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop Cup or Combo Cup (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
For a one cup routine ?
No one seems able to spin a chop cup that doesn't have some king of ridge at the bottom, yet they do it with all kinds of combo cups.I'm no fan of ridge bottomed cups. How 'bout you ?
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
RNT2 has a "strolling chop cup" that is smooth, but has a rolled lip.
Or the Don Alan has a smooth lip with a ring around the bottom.
jmk
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Ringmaster... IMHO, they are two different animals, though you could end up with the same results. I pretty much use Chop Cups and do not use the standard “is it here or here routines.”

Are you saying that you don’t like Chop Cups with a mouth bead? If so check out the RNT2 Worker’s Pro or a Don Alan Chop Cup. The Worker’s Cup has become my favorite and now looks great since it has developed a nice brown patina.

Good luck to you,
Bruce
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Quote:
On 2011-08-10 13:23, ringmaster wrote:
For a one cup routine ?
No one seems able to spin a chop cup that doesn't have some king of ridge at the bottom, yet they do it with all kinds of combo cups.I'm no fan of ridge bottomed cups. How 'bout you ?

I think you are referring to the dress line that is spun in around the saddle of a cup to hold in the gaff.
The Strolling Chop Cup at RNT2.com has no line around the saddle of the cup. It does require a mouth bead though to disguise the spun in insert.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
The strolling cup is beautiful, and so is their workers cup.
The Johnson chop cup, which is really intended as a combo cup, gives no indication of the Gee.
Most other chop cups have something suspicious in the saddle area. This seems to have started with the Don Alan cup, but not the original Chop Chop bamboo cup.
The rolled lip doesn't seem to matter. I've used second run Charlie Millers, which have the largest lips and gap in existence.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You need to look at the chop cups in the museum. There are more than 350 cups to look at.

I hate to be this blunt, but you don't really know what you are talking about historically speaking.

The Exacto Master Cup looked like a big mint julep cup. The Rings and Things Julep Cup had the same kind of bottom rings as the DACC, but it really didn't look suspicious. I think you are suffering from magician's guilt. The Johnson cup, even though you can't see the work, doesn't make sense as a single cup. It is aesthetically wrong.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Historically speaking,the the Don Alan cup is a somewhat taller version of the Al Wheatly Master Cup.

I don't have magician's guilt, I have Catholic guilt, I'm always worried that I didn't do as much as I could.

I agree about the Johnson chop cup.. It's a beautiful piece of engineering, but not a great single cup. However it make a wonderful combo cup for the Great Scott/ Silver Challis routine, much better than any mini-combo set. And the don't take up that much more room. I digress again.
For stand up I still want a cup, or as Samuel Rid would call it, a box, that doesn't call attention to it's bottom.... or top.
After doing a Google Image search, I've had to delete a large part of this post dealing with julip cups. Sorry.
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Why is a Johnson cup aesthetically wrong?

Larry Jennings One Cup...

I realize this is not a Johnson cup, nor a chop. Is this too aesthetically wrong?
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Paul Fox cups, IMHO, are never aesthetically wrong.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
........ I yes, really, really regret leaving my Paul Fox Cups on a city bus.
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Quote:
On 2011-08-12 14:36, ringmaster wrote:
........ I yes, really, really regret leaving my Paul Fox Cups on a city bus.

I really, really regret losing my Senator Crandall dice cup when I was arrested many, many years ago.
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Aren't cups cool?......hehehe.....
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-08-12 13:04, ringmaster wrote:
Historically speaking,the the Don Alan cup is a somewhat taller version of the Al Wheatly Master Cup.

I don't have magician's guilt, I have Catholic guilt, I'm always worried that I didn't do as much as I could.

I agree about the Johnson chop cup.. It's a beautiful piece of engineering, but not a great single cup. However it make a wonderful combo cup for the Great Scott/ Silver Challis routine, much better than any mini-combo set. And the don't take up that much more room. I digress again.
For stand up I still want a cup, or as Samuel Rid would call it, a box, that doesn't call attention to it's bottom.... or top.
After doing a Google Image search, I've had to delete a large part of this post dealing with julip cups. Sorry.

Nope. It isn't. The Don Alan chop cup has a number of features that set it completely aside from the Master Cup. One is that technically speaking the gaff is on the outside of the Wheatley cup and on the inside of the Don Alan cup. This is why the inset rings are not present on the Wheatley cup.

Regarding the aesthetics of the cup -- it's the shape that makes it strange. Your original question concerned the odd looking bottoms of the cups. The fact is that MOST, not all, combo cups have an anomaly somewhere. The Johnson cup is the absolute exception, but it doesn't look like a regular cup. It looks like a magic prop.

Take a look at the chop cups in the cups and balls museum, if you haven't done so already. There are many more options than you have even imagined.

Check out the wooden cups at rnt2.com, for example.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Thank yoiu.
Too many options, I going to buy a can of Prigles.
Could you resend my museum password.
David
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You have to send me an e-mail requesting one. I don't keep e-mail addresses on file.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop Cup or Combo Cup (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL