The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » NO money suggestions. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gorilla1066
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of gorilla1066
Im new to the magic Café, but I have been pracitising and performing magic for 2 years. I have no money to work with so I have been progressing much more slowly than I would have liked. Every sleight I have had to learn from ebooks, videos and imagination.
The ebooks I have are:

Modern Coin Magic by JB BOBO
The Art of Astonishment vol. 2 and 3 By paul Harris.

What ebooks can I find that would suit my needs?
I have a passion for coin magic but I would also like some more card material.
Thanks.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Try your local library and also inter library loan.

Both sources have gotten me some surprising finds. From a loan of an alien puppet for 2 weeks, to Michael Ammar stuff to....much much more....

Oh what fun is out there in books.

Yes I do see the value of DVD's.
I have several, most in the coin category. (McClintock, Rubenstein, Kam, Sawa)

Harris
still 2 old to know everything
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome gorilla1066,

Harris is right about your Library.

Also, see if there is a Magic Club in town.

-Mary Mowder
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Try books with pages.

Steve
Bjarne
View Profile
New user
Norway
53 Posts

Profile of Bjarne
There is a lot of stuff that can be downloaded if you know what you want. Searching for "magic" will only get you so far. If you search for "ed marlo snap change" or "snap change magic", you'll get very specific and even some good info. It may not be as good and professional as the best DVDs on the market (say David Stone's snap change), but totally workable.

Much of the longer (>10 minutes) videos on the net are copyrighted, where originators don't get paid for their work. Use common sense.

However, zero money to work with will not get you far. No matter how low you think your budget is, it should never be exactly zero.
You should get some decks of cards from time to time, or get some half dollars or Morgan dollars or other things to use.
If you get some magic friends from to meet up with, it will cost you transport and/or some food and drink. It will be more than worth it.
If you become a member of a local magic club, there will be a membership fee. What you learn from other members and the library will make it worth it 100 times over.
Maybe getting some flash paper to enhance the effects would be worth it for you.

Spend a just a little, and you'll progress a lot faster.

I have made the mistake myself that I cap the amount I am willing to pay for a single item. So I ended up skimping on some very good stuff.
A year ago I have spent a few hundreds of dollar on books (like Tarbell's) and a couple of dvds. Combined with a good magic club library, I feel I've got enough material for several years to come. I don't have to buy anything but consumables, even if I might make the odd purchase. My latests is a a class flower vase for miser's dream which I bought at IKEA, and the audience will both see and hear the coins ending up in it. If it works out, it will cost me $3 for the vase, and $5-10 for modifying it to be able to hide the coins/hand movements well without causing suspicion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » NO money suggestions. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL