The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Art Altman (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
I know very little about this man other than he was a student of Marlo's and I use his Altman trap from time to time. Does he have any published material out there? Thanks.

Best.

Sean
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I'm not near my books at the moment but I think Altman has one or two things in Vol7. of Tarbell. Maybe it's his son that has something published in there. Not sure at the moment. I don't really remember seeing a large amount of published things from Altman. I want to say he has somethings in Karl Fulves Epillog but again at the moment I'm not really sure.
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
Just checked Denis Behr's Archive's. Fantastic resource! Lots of references in Marlo Magazines. He's come up with some other good moves but not too much in the way of routines by the looks of it.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
RS1963: You're thinking of my friend Jeff Altman. HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
That I am thank you Harry I thought that was the case. Thank you again for the information:) B.T.W. Vol 7 of Tarbell is I think my favorite They are all great of course but vol.7 seems to stand out more.
tommydee
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of tommydee
Jeff is lucky enough to be both extremely talented with cards, and extremely funny. I believe Art was his father. Jeff's work is all over Apocalypse.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Some of his contributions are also in a Best Of Friends volume or two.

RS1963: I thanked you for your Tarbell 7 remark but for some reason it has been deleted. And I didn't even use a dirty word, or anything near that. Got me.

Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
You know, I'm not sure - but I think Art was Jeff's uncle - Al was Jeff's father - Al and Art were brothers. Al was a talent scout for one of the large movie companies - we knew each other - fleetingly. HL.

RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2011-08-12 15:37, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Some of his contributions are also in a Best Of Friends volume or two.

RS1963: I thanked you for your Tarbell 7 remark but for some reason it has been deleted. And I didn't even use a dirty word, or anything near that. Got me.

I didn't see it Harry so I have no clue as to what you said. I doubt there was any reason to delete it. YOu're welcome.
tommydee
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of tommydee
Quote:
On 2011-08-12 17:32, Harry Lorayne wrote:
You know, I'm not sure - but I think Art was Jeff's uncle - Al was Jeff's father - Al and Art were brothers. Al was a talent scout for one of the large movie companies - we knew each other - fleetingly. HL.

It seems like there's conflicting views on this. Some reports I see say Al was the Uncle, others say he was Jeff's father. I should have probably asked Jeff when I saw him at The Castle. Al Altman was the one who discovered Jimmy Stewart. As for Art, here is some info I was able to get about him, all from Genii's Magicpedia (which lists Art as Jeff's father, not Al):

Arthur was appointed by Harry Houdini to succeed him as president of the S.A.M. Assembly in Worcester, Massachusetts in 1926.
As a sergeant during World War II, Arthur worked with the Intelligence branch of the U.S. Army.
Hugokhf
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Hugokhf
Is he the guy who invented altman trap?
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2011-08-12 23:22, Hugokhf wrote:
Is he the guy who invented altman trap?

Yes Art Altman is the inventor of the Atlman trap. That was also mentioned in the O.P.
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Forgive me to cut in with a question.

What is difference btw Altman Trap and Heel Break??

Alex Hui
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
Randy
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
261 Posts

Profile of Randy
The Altman Trap is an action that results in a Heel break below the card,
The Buffalo Get-Together - A Close-Up Magic Convention
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
There's a nice Art Altman palm in one of the Marlo Magazines and I think also someplace in the stuff Randy Wakeman has put out. By the way, where is Randy these days? I miss him! Not here, certainly. Perhaps his friend the Lemming could relay that information, after all I bought him a beer at Hooters after a lecture one time. Or maybe he bought his own? I was in AA so I know he didn't buy me one. Perhaps a coke.
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
I met Art at Marlo's table at that restaurant in Chicago whose name escapes me on a Saturday afternoon in the '80s. Not the Greek joint, not Schuliens, the other one, near Magic Inc. He was sitting directly to Marlo's left, and I believe Dave Solomon was on Marlo's right that day. I think I saw a very very nice punch deal by Art on Glenn Bishop's page he took down? Or maybe Art Weygant's? He (Altman) had more chops than he was willing to show on the occasion I met him. Very nice gentleman.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Aaron Fisher mentions a sleight used by Alman called the "Altman Slide Glide" move. Does anyone reading this message 1) know to which Altman Aaron would be referring, and, 2) know of any printed and/or video source of instruction for this "Altman Slide Glide" move?

Thanks for any information in these regards.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
For those that don't use it her is the link to the Art Altman info, Conjuring Archive has hundreds and hundreds of publications detailed as to author, where it appeared, sometimes a synopsis of the routine or move and more.

Fantastic resource. If you use it, consider buying Denis a beer. There is a link on the site where you can repay him for he service he so graciously provides.

Here are the Altman references....

https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/se......t+altman
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
camron
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of camron
Through a VERY good friend I was able to obtain Mr. Altman's notebooks... over 300+ pages.... Very underrated card handler for sure!
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2019, camron wrote:
Through a VERY good friend I was able to obtain Mr. Altman's notebooks... over 300+ pages.... Very underrated card handler for sure!

When did Mr. Altman begin documenting things in the books? I'm assuming it goes waaaay back.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Art Altman (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL