The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » An idea without a trick(you make the trick) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicMaker
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of MagicMaker
I bought the die cipher and in the instructions they mentioned a fact I was never aware of. All oppossite sides add to seven.

Roll a die and look at the top number, add that to the bottom number, you have seven.

I thought of a cool way to use that fact to my advantage. Maybe this could be used to force something?

Here is my idea. Use the paddle move. Tell your audience you want a random number and to be fair you will use a die to come up with the random number.

Say that you want to add the top number with the bottom number. As you are holding the die between the first finger and thumb of either hand show the front number, then say that you want to add this number to the bottom number of the die, do the paddle move showing the supposed bottom number. When they add these together they will get something besides seven. Now they should believe when they add the top and bottom numbers it will be a random thing and that the same number doesn't always come up.

When the spectator rolls the die they add the top number to the bottom, of course they get seven everytime.(but you only do this once, you can't repeat) You could use this as a force for a card trick or any trick that requires a random number.
the_great_stupido
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of the_great_stupido
I must confess that I think most people are aware of the opposite sides of a die adding up to 7. I certainly knew about it long before I was even vaguely interested in magic...

Still, you never know. I think we often take for granted what people know and what they don't without actually finding out. Unfortunately in this circumstance the only way to find out is by having them comment on a force - 'I know what you're doing...!' Smile
Ignore me...
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Ignore me...
There was a trick years ago that exploited this idea, but that used two dice to add to 14, which always seemed to fly by spectators.

One could also use two dice, have the spectator roll them onto a table, and then place a match-type box over them, sliding the drawer closed face down. The drawer should have enough space for the dice to rattle a bit, but not enough to actually turn to another face. The spectator shakes the box, and then opens the drawer and notes the total on the visible side. IIRC, the credit for this should be Nick Trost's.
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
That 14 count trick I believe was Sach's routine.
You use 2 ungaffed dice in that routine.

Ivory Connection uses the 7 principle to great effect,
namely CHANGING that very thing about the dice. The
dice end up NOT adding up to 7!
"Free will is an illusion." - B.F. Skinner
Jordan Piper
View Profile
Veteran user
British Columbia, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Jordan Piper
Most of the people that I have performed a trick for using this principle were aware that the opposite sides add to seven. To curb this you may try having the spectator multiply the top number by 2 and the bottom number by 2 therefore your answer is not always seven but rather a multiple of seven.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
I think the secret of getting this pulled off in front of the spectators is to dress it up a bit. If you need to force 7, use two dies, then have them narrow that two down to one. Once that one is chosen, ask if they would like to re-roll the die. Get back to the fact in your patter that this could'nt be more of a free choice if we tryed, then do the force. All this is not Necessary technically but is the smoke and mirrors that will throw the spectators off the sent.

Magically

Aus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » An idea without a trick(you make the trick) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL