The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Peter White RIP (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Guys, I just heard that Peter White of P&A Silks has passed away. Peter was the kind of guy you either liked or you didn't but if he was your friend, he'd go out of his way to help you out. I can't remember how many times I got good usable advice from him. I'm sure those of us that knew him will miss him alot. He'll be sorely missed.
Where the magic begins
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Sad to hear. He always gave me a helping hand and good advice.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I am in shock. Peter would call me once or twice a year to catch up on what was going on in magic since he had cut way back on conventions. I had no indication of any serious health issues though I knew he did have some health issues.

He was a likeable guy who could be very opinionated and ornery. I used to laugh and tell him that he reminded me of a a skinny Paul Diamond. That would get him laughing.

But if Peter liked you, he would do anything for you. His dove and silk videos are among the best in the business.

Peter and I often talked about what was to become of our businesses when the time came. We both realized that no one in his right mind would want either of our businesses. They were purely a labor of love. Out accountants both shook their heads at the returns.

Rest in peace, Peter. My prayers to you Cynthia. You know where I am if I can help.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
I talked to him twice, he is a great guy who refuse to sell you anything unless you need them....his complete lecture notes on dove & dove/silk video is great...still waiting for his vol 3.....very sad to hear his passing Smile Smile Smile
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
It is sad to know that Peter is gone. We were friends since over 30 years ago. He was an artist! Like Harold Rice, Peter will be an artist that magic will miss for many years to come. (I'm not sure that the rest of world of magic knew that his art also included music.)

Rest in Peace.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Sorry to hear that. I met him twice, and both times he went out of his way to make sure I left with something new to work on.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Just got the e-mail this morning.
I knew Pete as far back as the early 80's. We traveled and stayed together while going to the National conventions. I used to go to his home in Ct. at the time.
He did his own silk dye work and had barrels of silks with dye all over the property.
Bought many doves he raised and trained.
I will miss him.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
Sad to hear of his passing, Behind his gruff manner was a really nice guy. I had a really great talk with him two years ago at Metro Magic, we reminisced about a mutual friend who had passed away. Condolences to his family and friends.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Wow.......sad news indeed.

R.I.P. Peter.

:(

Regan
Mister Mystery
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Sorry to hear that.

I got some beautiful Silk from Peter.

-Mary Mowder
SmittyWitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Fairhaven, MA
325 Posts

Profile of SmittyWitty
RIP. Sorry to hear of Peter's passing. I also have a few of his silks. Simply the best!
mhsam
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of mhsam
I too am deeply saddened by Peter's passing. I will try to make the Broken Wand ceremony. Like many of you, I use only P&A silks (the latest two I acquired were custom "Glorpy" playing card silks that were made NOT to have the gimmick push through, in part using several ideas from Peter.)

It is wonderful that many magicians took advantage of Peter's vast knowledge of magic, which he readily offered. You should hear some of the stories.....especially of those "big names" he helped before they were big!!!!
Ryan Bliss
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Ryan Bliss
I have met Peter several times. He was good friends with our local magic ring, and was a fantastic individual. His silks are simply the best money can buy. I remember he taught me how to make a silk fountain out of silks just lying around. He will be deeply missed. As far as magic silks are concerned. Peter White was, and forever will be a silk legend.
Magicray69
View Profile
Veteran user
Tampa Bay
369 Posts

Profile of Magicray69
Pete was a very good friend of mine during the late 70's and early 80's until I moved to Florida when we lost contact. I met him at a SAM meeting in Danbury, Ct. where he was pitching his early tie dyes. I spent many days at his house by the lake in Connecticut with his family, his drooling Saint Bernard and a slew of magic props, sewing machines, rolls of silk, colorful vats of dye, train sets(Pete was an avid collector) and musical instruments(Pete was a music teacher at the time).

I was a graphic designer so I designed his logo. The P was for his son Peter, Jr. and the A was for his daughter Amanda. I talked to Pete about producing some silk screened items to compliment his beautiful hand-dyed silks. This was the birth of the P&A DesignSilks which were a sellout at Tannen's Jubilee. We printed them four up on 36" wide rolls and cut them to produce 4-18" silks. He was very fussy and spent many hours perfecting the hems. I then did the artwork for some 36" silks including the Happy Clown and Laser Circle. The following year at the Jubilee I noticed that there was a booth run by a couple of Japanese dealers who had taken the designs and copied them. I was very upset as I ran over and told Pete. He didn't seem too concerned. All he said was "They'll never match P&A quality". He just let it slide. That was Pete.

I remember well when we would go into The Big Apple, buy silk and go to the screen printer, then Tannen's. Pete would say "Let's get a slice" and we would run into a pizza joint for lunch. He had more energy than anyone I have ever known. I don't think he ever slept.

He introduced me to Lance Burton and Mac King whom spent the night at Pete's while on the way to Tannen's Jubilee which launched their careers after Lance got his gig on Carson. They pulled into Pete's driveway in an old, beatup station wagon with all of their worldly possessions. The four of us spent the night stuffing envelopes with DesignSilks and filling orders.

(Pete was good at puting people to work. I remember once when he did his stage show for a Catholic school. One of his assistants was a young girl from the school where Pete taught music. She had a sequened spandex band around her bust and when she popped out of the production trunk, her top got caught and she jumped up with her boobies popping out. Boy, was she embaressed, but you should have seen the look on the nuns faces who were sitting in the audience! Janet Jackson- Pete beat you to it! Priceless!)

Lance did card productions which completely fooled me and Mac showed me a sponge ball trick using an eye dropper. I forget the name of the effect. Two of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. I also met Walter Gibson, Tom Ogden and MagicIan through Pete. He seemed to know everone in magic.

One time he showed me an order from Edwin at Supreme Magic in England. It was for 200 DesignSilks as I remember. Pete wanted to ship them out unpaid and I suggested with an order that large that he at least get a deposit. Pete didn't listen. He was very trusting and shipped the silks. Then Edwin told him that he had the exclusive rights to produce "Carnival Ribbons" and that Pete was manufacturing these and he wouldn't pay him for the order unless he stopped. Pete told Edwin he wouldn't make them anymore, so one day a fat envelope arrives and out pours 30 Fifty dollar bills american. It wasn't even insured. Lot's of great memories.

I still have the stained glass hot air balloon that he gave me as a wedding gift. It's hanging in the window of my main hallway and everytime I look at it I think of Pete and the wonderful times we had. I believe he had a photographic memory. He would learn an effect and never practice, but two years later he would perform it flawlessly. He was a good man with special talents and now he's up there with all the other magic lovers that have gone before him explaining how to properly fold the silk fountain.

Rest in peace my friend, you have touched many lives including my own. You are gone now but not forgotten. May the magic that you have created live on in eternity.

My heartfelt support to Pete's wife Cynthia for her loving support and putting up with Pete all those years. She changed his life. I can tell she is a great lady even though I have never had the pleasure of meeting her. My own wife has cancer now and I know how much love and caring it takes to cope with this insidious desease. Bless you. Pete was very fortunate to meet you in his journey through life.
May your future be peaceful and content.

Love,
Ray Lucas
There was a time I had the blues,

the reason was I had no shoes.

Until I met upon the street

a man who had no feet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Peter White RIP (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL