The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Accidental TL recovery? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JSeligstein
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of JSeligstein
When practicing some tricks, I'm accidentally taking a TL about 1/20 times instead of a DL. I'll be practicing to make this better, but does anyone have suggestions for a recovery?
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
There isn't any I've discovered in 40+ years. If you HAVE to hit the double then you have to practice to hit the double and KNOW you have hit it.

Now, if by 'recover' you mean 'check to make sure it's correct' then that's a different thing. In that regard it has a LOT to do with your get ready. Look at how you ready for the lift. How can it be modified or changed so that the very doing of it insures that you have the exact number of cards needed at the time?

Best,
Brad Burt
gazapo
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of gazapo
Can you tell before you reveal that you have a triple? What method are you using for the double, some kind of hit I assume?

It's just practice, practice, practice until you just hit the double.

In my opinion it depends on the trick as to a recovery - if it's an ambitious card and you accidentally reveal a triple you could do an Erdnase change into the card then turn the triple back down and continue from the new position or cut and be done. Obviously it's not ideal, but neither is a TL instead of a DL.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
In the context of an ACR this is what I did when my TL went wrong, it would work for a DL also.

"Click your fingers....and the card still isn't at the top*, really go for it this time, nice loud click....and the card comes to the top"

*this was the oops moment :0), I just redid the TL (in my case, DL in yours).
Jonathan100
View Profile
Loyal user
292 Posts

Profile of Jonathan100
It could happen, actually a worse scenario is when you turn over a double but flip over a triple then suddenly a card mysteriously has turned face up!
It seems to boil down to practice wear and tear of the cards and the type of DL you are using. If for example you are using a pinky count you shold be able to feel that you have counted one to much before you actually flip over the cards if so all you have to do is recount them before the flip, the audience dosen't know anything has happend yet.

Yours,

Jonathan
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
I'd probably just block pushoff slightly, showing two cards, and say "oops I got two instead of one", then retry.

Michael
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Harry Lorayne has a very good setup that ensures that only two cards are lifted.
PM Mr. Lorayne for the name of his DVD or book that addresses this issue.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Accidental TL recovery? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL