The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Two minds self-working -What am I doing wrong? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lbuford
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
157 Posts

Profile of Lbuford
On page 314 of the book "13 steps" (the Two Minds effect), it says to put the cards one behind the other in the right hand while showing the audience the face side in the left hand. The last card shown, however, goes in the "front" of the pack in the right hand. I'm assuming the "bottom" of the right hand pack rather than behind (the top). However, the effect does not work. What am I doing wrong?
Loreen

"Hindsight corrects the mistakes that foresight could have prevented"
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Are you gathering the packets properly?

The first spectator's packet needs to be the top packet when you assemble the two.

Brian
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
Lbuford
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
157 Posts

Profile of Lbuford
I finally figured it out. The instructions in the book are incorrect. It should actually be done opposite of what is stated. It said to put the card behind each other, when in fact they should be placed in front of each other (reverse order). And the last card should be placed on top, not the bottom. I wrote the corrections in the book just in case I need to remember it in the future.

By the way, it doesn't matter which packet goes on top when you assemble the two. I tried it both ways and it still works.
Loreen

"Hindsight corrects the mistakes that foresight could have prevented"
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
You are correct about the assembly of the packets. I was thinking of a different effect. However, after referring to the book, the explanation is not incorrect.

Brian
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
The phrase "One behind the other" is ambiguous. The author means "from the audience point of view".
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Quote:
On 2011-09-13 11:59, prestopresto wrote:
The phrase "One behind the other" is ambiguous. The author means "from the audience point of view".

What is ambiguous about "one behind the other?

Brian
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Quote:

Hold up an orange. Now put an apple behind it.

If you now see an apple you interprted the directions as the author intended in this case. (audience's perspective)

If you now see an orange you you interpreted the directions in the equally plausible way the OP interpreted them.(performer's perspective).
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Phil Pearce
View Profile
Loyal user
Dallas, GA
260 Posts

Profile of Phil Pearce
Quote:
On 2011-09-13 22:32, prestopresto wrote:
Quote:

Hold up an orange. Now put an apple behind it.

If you now see an apple you interprted the directions as the author intended in this case. (audience's perspective)

If you now see an orange you you interpreted the directions in the equally plausible way the OP interpreted them.(performer's perspective).

That is a great, simple, easy to understand explanation. Seriously.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Thank you Mr Pierce! Lately I have been feeling quite underappreciated around here.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Two minds self-working -What am I doing wrong? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL