The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Computer question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I'm running Firefox 6.0.2 on my Intel Mac OSX 10.6.8. FIrefox according to the Activity Monitor is using an insane amount of Real memory: 300MB and at times, 400MB. Any ideas? I've unloaded a few extensions but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I think that 300MB or 400MB is nothing. Often mine uses 800MB plus. In my experience, it seems mainly to be a function of how many tabs / windows I have open, and how long I leave Firefox running. I like to restart it at least once a day. Once it hits over 900MB or so, it starts to slow and act dodgy (freeze and or crash).

(NB, I am talking about "Mem Usage" on a Dell running XP. I'm assuming that is the same thing as the "Real memory" you mention.)

How many tabs / windows in Firefox do you normally have going at once?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
At the moment Firefox 6.0.2 is using 127MB on my HP G62 laptop running Windows 7.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Firefox is a resource hog at times. I find that if I try to navigate to a site after taken the computer out of hibernation or suspend mode, and it is still open, that's when it uses large amounts of memory; closing it down and reopening seems to solve the problem. I've recently migrated to Chrome, which doesn't seem to suffer the same issues.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'm hearing a lot of good things about Chrome...Are you sold, Josh?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I'm sold, it was a rough transition at first, since I've been using Firefox since about 2005. I'm pretty happy with it, though.
KyoufuNoDaio
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of KyoufuNoDaio
Firefox 7 (which will be released on Sept. 27th), cuts memory usage by up to 50%. I would suggest waiting for that. The current usage you are experiencing seems to be normal though.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I like Firefox, and rely on its ability to have some very useful extensions, but the current iteration is really slowing me down. Hope 7 helps.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Given my experience (Firefox using 800 MB with no slowdown), I wonder whether you might be blaming the wrong thing for any slowdown?

Maybe some of your settings on Firefox or some other software are the problem, and not the memory usage itself?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Could be. I have 1 GB of Ram. Probably not enough these days.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
When Firefox was first released, it was a gem. If I remember correctly, the total size of the program was well under 10 MB, compared to Internet Explorer's 150 or so. It wasn't cluttered with all sorts of features and worked quickly and smoothly. Every time it has been upgraded with more bells and whistles, its performance has degraded. I'm afraid this is the usual life history of most software, isn't it?
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Chrome rocks! I switched from Firefox a couple years ago, and haven't looked back since.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-09-20 07:10, landmark wrote:
Could be. I have 1 GB of Ram. Probably not enough these days.

Checked this on my work computer today, which is an Intel Mac running the same OS as yours.

Firefox is using over 500 MB of Real Mem. Nothing is slow, I have several applications open, everything is flying.

Mind you, I have 12 GB of Ram.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Yup, that could be the diff.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-09-19 21:41, KyoufuNoDaio wrote:
Firefox 7 (which will be released on Sept. 27th), cuts memory usage by up to 50%. I would suggest waiting for that. The current usage you are experiencing seems to be normal though.

just downloaded 7.0 and I'm running it now. The memory usage, according to my computer, is the same as before.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Have you thought about getting more RAM? It's relatively cheap, and does wonders for performance. I almost threw a computer out once because it was so slow. The systems guy at work added more RAM to it, after which I happily used it for another 3 or 4 years. I was astonished at the difference in performance.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Yes, I'll have to look into it. BTW, Foxfire 7.0 despite the similar memory usage, seems to be a bit snappier so far. OTOH, it's broken a few of my favorite extensions. I hope they will be updated.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Firefox released 7.0.1 and my broken extensions are now working again. Also have to say I am very pleased with the much improved speed of loading pages.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Just spent the best $25 I've ever spent on a computer. Bought another 2GB of RAM. I'm traveling Warp Speed now. Neutrinos, get out of the way, you pesky road hogs.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Just agreed to accept the 7.1 upgrade, and I agree the browser is now blisteringly fast.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Computer question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL