The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Zombie ball cloth (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

asgar
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of asgar
I just bought a zombie ball and Tim Wright's dvd.Can anyone please help me with the cloth type !I know that I should probably a use 36 inch square silk.But what Type-color,weight,transparency..?Please only mention the quality rather that the cloth name as the names will be different out here.How heavy and opaque is it to the thumb tip silks.I was thinking about using plain black silk which is totally nontransparent and a little bit heavy.Thanks.
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Sew two silks together.

This was discussed a bit here. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The professionals say to make a 30" square cloth, that way the ball is in he center of the cloth. Crepe material sold at most fabric stores is a good light weight for Zombie cloths. Then back it with a lining material from the fabric store.

So much of this is personal choice as to weight, color, size; you will just have to work it out for yourself.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Measure your gimmick. The cloth should be twice this measurement, and 36" is almost always too big. Many magic outlets sell "zombie foulards", some are OK and some are a waste of money. I like Bill's suggestion - make a trip to the fabric store.

Jim
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Size of the foulard varies according to the performers. One gentleman I make foulards for thought his was 36" but when he measured it he found it was 34". It makes a difference so the ball ends up in the center of the cloth.

Wm, idea of the fabric store is not bad. Try to find a silky, opaque, free flowing fabric.

I make my foulards from silk.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
One nice thing about a larger cloth is that when the ball is between the hands you can let some cloth out and center the ball.

When the ball is under the cloth you can cinch up a bit or use the extra length to get a nice curved drape over the ball.

There is about a 40% difference between the best cloth length for these two positions, one versus the square root of 2.

A larger cloth can hide the fact that the ball is always a certain distance away.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-09-26 10:37, billappleton wrote:
One nice thing about a larger cloth is that when the ball is between the hands you can let some cloth out and center the ball.

When the ball is under the cloth you can cinch up a bit or use the extra length to get a nice curved drape over the ball.

There is about a 40% difference between the best cloth length for these two positions, one versus the square root of 2.

A larger cloth can hide the fact that the ball is always a certain distance away.

This is one of the most insightful posts on Zombie cloth that I have ever read! Thanks for that!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
A darker color makes the silver ball show up more. But if your clothes and the background are black, put some silver or white trim around the black foulard. It will help from keeping it apart from your clothes and the background. Black will help hide the wrinkle from the gimmick. I see no problem using other solid colors as long as the color are not light. Multi-colors are not good to use because it can distract from the ball.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Adding just a little small fishing weight to the corners can often make your life simpler since the corners will not only fall easily but, by touc, you will learn better control and pace.

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Make sure that both fabrics are not too heavy. It makes a big difference to your finger! I made that mistake once.
Also, I make mine by sewing black on the side and the color for the outside. You don't even have to hem them. Just sew the ends together and leave about one inch unsewn in one corner. Then pull it all inside out through that gap and finish the one inch.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
NaathanPhan
View Profile
New user
One day, I shall have more than
18 Posts

Profile of NaathanPhan
I've got a shiny blue foulard that, I believe, is a 24 inch square. Opaque, but light. Works great. I nabbed mine from The Magic Warehouse for $8.50; absolutely worth it! [http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/findit.pl?x_item=SI4672&keyword=ZOMBIE]
Cheers,

Naathan Phan: Magic Asian Man

www.magicasianman.com
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Quote:
On 2011-09-26 22:30, JamesinLA wrote:
Make sure that both fabrics are not too heavy. It makes a big difference to your finger! I made that mistake once.
Also, I make mine by sewing black on the side and the color for the outside. You don't even have to hem them. Just sew the ends together and leave about one inch unsewn in one corner. Then pull it all inside out through that gap and finish the one inch.

Mine is like this but I wonder... Why are they sewn like this... to make them fluffy?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
It makes them more opaque. I use three layers of silk.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Oh man, I received the "morrissey" zombie from magic warehouse and the quality was awful. The finish was a mess, the hole was too shallow, the seam was enormous. This just can't be the morrissey people were talking about on the other thread...

And I thought my current ball was deficient, heck it's a work of art compared to this one. I bought my current one at Tannen's maybe 10 years ago.

I am so tired of cheaper and cheaper versions of what used to be OK magic products.

I might go Viking but RNT is looking better and better.

http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/fin......d=ZOMBIE

Caveat Emptor.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Bill,
When you first sew them together they are a bit fluffy but they do flatten out on their own pretty quickly. I keep mine wound around a jumbo wand so they don't crease.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2011-09-28 21:52, billappleton wrote:
Oh man, I received the "morrissey" zombie from magic warehouse and the quality was awful. The finish was a mess, the hole was too shallow, the seam was enormous. This just can't be the morrissey people were talking about on the other thread...

When I saw one, years ago in a magic shop, I told the shop owner that it looked more like an old percolator than a zombie ball. LOL Yet, the magic shops keep ordering them. Go figure. When magicians demand better quality, the products will get better.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Zombie ball cloth (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL