The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » One Move: The Dixon Drop DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dave1216
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Dave1216
I have been lucky enough to spend a little time (not much) with Doc Dixon in the past year and I love watching him performing the Dixon Drop. It is a very simple and clean way to add or switch cards from a packet. I have incorporated it into a couple of routines that I do at restaurants and the move always works perfectly. Therefore, I was very excited to see him put his thoughts and routines into the new DVD “One Move: The Dixon Drop.”

This is one of the few magic DVDs on the market that I had to pause watching because I was laughing so hard at a line or joke that Doc makes while explaining the routine. He is joined by Rick Maue who also provides a nice mix of interesting subtitles and quick wit to the explanations.

I read a review of this DVD in a magazine where it was stated that the move has severe angle issues. While it is true that one angle is WEAKER than others, by no means is it an ineffective move from that angle. Proper audience management should eliminate this concern.

Even if you don’t begin performing one of the several routines that Doc teaches, the Dixon Drop, much like the palm.....or the shift....or any of several other dozen card moves, is a good utility item to add to your toolbox of options and sleights.

Doc and I have met each other only twice so I can assure you that my comments do not come from nepotism. In a magic marketplace flooded with tricks and routines that have not been fully audience tested, it is nice to see a DVD that has been well thought out and fun to watch.

David Corsaro
My new DVD ("The magic of David Corsaro") is now available from your favorite dealer. Watch the DVD that Daryl, Jon Allen, Shawn Farquhar, Boris Wild, Marc DeSouza, Asi Wind and Paul Green ALL ENDORSE.

Visit www.timetobeawesome.com to watch the new weekly Video Blog for magicians, "Time to be awesome."
AWESOME
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of AWESOME
$30 for one move? Come on, this is 2011. I can understand if he packaged a few moves and sold them for around $20, but this is as ridiculous as eLlusionist's attempts at doing the same thing.

Heck, you can buy Expert Card Technique for $5 and learn enough sleights to be busy for at least a month.
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
655 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
David,

Thanks for the kind words. You can get the dvd here: http://www.dixonmagic.com/page2/page2.html

In reply to, ahem, "AWESOME"

One, there are 5 routines and a new force taught that center around one move. Much like a dvd on topiting, as an example, would teach several effects with the basic move. Or the late Jerry Camarro's dvd taught several routines centered around the bottom deal. There is a BIG difference between a one TRICK dvd and a MULTI trick centered around ONE MOVE. Big difference.
And as Peter Duffie (who by the way, is "awesome" in real life, not just in name) said, the dvd has NO FILLER. He highly recommended it in his MAGIC review.

Second, have you ever read any of my stuff? I'm about as far from "elusionist" as it gets. Seriously.

Third, the comparison to ECT is spurious and apples & oranges in both content, economics and time. A fair comparison would be to put it up against other card magic dvds of today. Again, check out Peter Duffie's -- a highly respected cardman -- review of the dvd in MAGIC. But I will say this, I cardman doesn't have ECT, please, by all means, buy it before you get my dvd.

Listen, I feel your pain about the one trick dvds. We are on the same page. I don't disagree with you, but knowing the content of the dvd I know it does not fall in that category.

Respectfully,

Doc
Marc DeSouza
View Profile
V.I.P.
Wayne, PA
162 Posts

Profile of Marc DeSouza
This is one heck of a fine move that begs for experimentation. It is very practical and ideal for most real world conditions. I thought Doc's use of it for an Ace Cutting routine was very good, but the Cards Across is probably the best version technically for close-up work. As great as the effects were, it was just so much fun to watch the banter between Doc and Rick Maue. Even tho Rick has retired from lecturing, I hope he'll keep doing video projects Smile

Thanks for releasing this Doc and I can't wait to see the next one!

Marc DeSouza
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
655 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Quote:
On 2011-11-10 10:12, Marc DeSouza wrote:
This is one heck of a fine move that begs for experimentation. It is very practical and ideal for most real world conditions. I thought Doc's use of it for an Ace Cutting routine was very good, but the Cards Across is probably the best version technically for close-up work. As great as the effects were, it was just so much fun to watch the banter between Doc and Rick Maue. Even tho Rick has retired from lecturing, I hope he'll keep doing video projects Smile

Thanks for releasing this Doc and I can't wait to see the next one!

Marc DeSouza

I would never presume to disagree with Marc DeSouza. He judgment is impeachable.

BTW, the next dvd is in the works.

Doc
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
655 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
I meant "his judgment"
Must quit tultimasking

Doc
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 20:40, Doc Dixon wrote:
I meant "his judgment"
Must quit tultimasking

Doc

Did you also mean Impeccable instead of Impeachable and multitasking instead of tultimasking? Smile
This DVD looks cool, will check it out sometime! Smile

Best regards,

Kyle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » One Move: The Dixon Drop DVD (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL