The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Misleading Advertising? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Although I guess this is not technically "misleading", because it is right on the sign, but we have a lock supermarket who advertises "The Lowest Prices (plus 10% added at register)". What is so strange is that their prices, with the 10 percent added, are among the lowest in town, including Wal-Mart. It just seems like a strange way to do business.

For example, today I bought three items for $4.29, $3.26, and $5.25, and the total was $15.07...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I'm confused. Is the 10% just a sales tax, or something they themselves add? If the latter, seems really odd, and dumb. It's literally just listing everything at 10% less than the actual price.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
If its VAT not everyone has to pay it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
That would make sense, if it was Europe. But there's no Value Added Tax in the US- and most food goods sold in a grocery store aren't taxed anyway.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
No, it's not tax. It's just as the sign says. Sales tax is 7 percent on top of that.

I've told the manager that it seems like an underhanded way to get customers, especially when their prices are pretty good anyway, but he just nodded his head and moved on.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
So they just have sticker prices that are 10% less than their actual price?
That's just stupid.

Especially if, like you say, they already have some of the better prices.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Do they sell calculators?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2011-09-28 14:10, critter wrote:
Do they sell calculators?

:P

Today, the other manager said that they shelf price the groceries "at cost and add 10 percent". Here is an article:

http://www.dublinlaurensgeorgia.com/inde......ails/156
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
I see you posted it before I gave my opininon.

I kind of figured that they were running their business on a 10% mark up over cost. However this can get confusing for them as there are always deals. It is what is called in the industry as allowances. It gets confusing as to when you have product on the shelf and if you run a strictly 10% over cost you may pay $10 /case last week and this week with an allownace it is not $10 because of the allownace of .50/case and it now gets a little confusing for the retailer. Also price can increase beforoe the original shelf stock is depleted.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Misleading Advertising? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL