The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » 'Straight On' FREE Review Copy Contest! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Ok, so I got the Ebook, thanks Martin for sending it!
I think that this is really interesting, a nice mix of principles.
Yes it is convoulouted, but I think something really good will come out of this idea.
Thanks Martin for making me think, I love Vlad's suggestion of Royal Marriages, and it could well be possible!

Best,

Kyle
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
Martin was kind enough to send me a Free Review Copy of STRAIGHT ON. I have to say that Vlad posted a pretty extensive review referenced earlier in this topic and I agreed with many things that he said. Here are my thoughts.

What I liked: Martin's document is very well put together and very readable. There were nice explanations of the principles involved. I found myself able to reproduce the effect on the second try. I enjoyed reading the introduction and how the origins of this effect came from his memories of his Uncle.

What I didn't like: Just getting into the setup for the effect doesn't feel realistic or make a lot of sense to me. Without giving anything away, I feel like I either have to be Lennart Green or bring in a stack; and if I bring in a stack, the end doesn't make much sense. There's a lot of card handling on the part of the spectator with really no motivation. The end game or payoff here doesn't seem that strong for all the effort.

What I suggest: Pair down some of the spectator handling. I would also love to see you add in some verbiage that has less to do with Poker and more to do with remembering your Uncle's magic... that seems more authentic and interesting.

Thanks again for the opportunity to get a first peek and best of luck!
magikeren
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of magikeren
Quote:
On 2011-10-10 22:19, NYCJoePitt wrote:
Martin was kind enough to send me a Free Review Copy of STRAIGHT ON. I have to say that Vlad posted a pretty extensive review referenced earlier in this topic and I agreed with many things that he said. Here are my thoughts.

What I liked: Martin's document is very well put together and very readable. There were nice explanations of the principles involved. I found myself able to reproduce the effect on the second try. I enjoyed reading the introduction and how the origins of this effect came from his memories of his Uncle.

What I didn't like: Just getting into the setup for the effect doesn't feel realistic or make a lot of sense to me. Without giving anything away, I feel like I either have to be Lennart Green or bring in a stack; and if I bring in a stack, the end doesn't make much sense. There's a lot of card handling on the part of the spectator with really no motivation. The end game or payoff here doesn't seem that strong for all the effort.

What I suggest: Pair down some of the spectator handling. I would also love to see you add in some verbiage that has less to do with Poker and more to do with remembering your Uncle's magic... that seems more authentic and interesting.

Thanks again for the opportunity to get a first peek and best of luck!

Thanks for the review NYC. Smile
I really like the idea about my uncle. Hmm, that would be something for me to try. I don't think that would work for everyone though. I strongly believe that our pattern must reflect our own experience and not something that is just made up. I'll try it out and see how it plays out. Smile

Regarding setup I hope I send you the newest version of the document. If you do the stack that is not that obvious a stack - simply browse through the deck and remove some of the cards face-down and form the stack on the table. Then shortly display the cards. It would seem like you just removed the cards at random as the stack dosn't look like a stack at a glance. Smile

Regards,
Martin
Martin Vetter - www.vettermagic.com
Creator of: MIND MONTE, IMPROMPTU MASTERY, PALM VISION, GEMSTONE GENESIS & STRAIGHT ON
magikeren
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of magikeren
Quote:
On 2011-10-08 04:10, KyleMacNeill wrote:
Ok, so I got the Ebook, thanks Martin for sending it!
I think that this is really interesting, a nice mix of principles.
Yes it is convoulouted, but I think something really good will come out of this idea.
Thanks Martin for making me think, I love Vlad's suggestion of Royal Marriages, and it could well be possible!

Best,

Kyle

Thanks Kyle,

I'm glad I made you think. Smile
I really think the ESP idea could play out really strong. It just need a justification for the final deal though...hmm...I need to think about that. Smile

-Martin
Creator of: MIND MONTE, IMPROMPTU MASTERY, PALM VISION, GEMSTONE GENESIS & STRAIGHT ON
magikeren
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of magikeren
Now you guys made me think. Smile
How about this:

"My grandfather showed me what I'm about to show you when I was a boy. I think it contains much wisdom and I would like to pass that on to you. It is about humans, you and I. Let me explain. I have here four families living together in a small village I four small huts. One day some of them left the village to go hunting, some of them stayed in the village to look after the children. But once the hunting party left disaster struck. An earthquake. There was wild confusion. All the families where scattered throughout the land in a way noone could predict.
As you can see none of the families where together [optional: display a pile or two]. Mothers missed their children and grandparents where left alone with no way of surviving. But one day, when all hope was gone, something magical happened. The village sharman was the only one still left in the village. And he knew what must be done. With his last remaining strengh he crafted a giant horn made of the albast. The sound of the horn could be heard throughout the world. And all the scattered villagers followed the sound. In that way the sharman was able to bring back together those that was seperated. When the sharman looked into the villages four huts the following morning, what he saw made him smile. Each of the families where again joined in peace. And what to learn from all this I asked my grandfather when he had shown it to me. 'My boy', he said. 'When life looks most hopeless all you need to do is believe. We all need a bit of magic sometimes'."

Just an outline. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » 'Straight On' FREE Review Copy Contest! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL