The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » If you use a headset wireless mic... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On 2011-10-03 06:11, RJE2 wrote:

Your opinion is valid in that it is your opinion and I certainly respect it as such.

My opinion is the only thing I am an expert in.
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Hehehe but at least you're an expert! Smile
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2011-10-01 22:16, RJE2 wrote:
Donal, your apology is accepted. Truth be known, I think guys in skirts look dorky. Smile

There's clearly been a misunderstanding--I made no apology.

Please don't solicit the opinions of others and then turn around and malign them when the opinions offered don't match your prejudices.
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Aaach, but Donal, I was throwing yee an olive branch, but if you'd rather not, then so be it. Now, back to the issue at hand, I have no problem with people who have their own opinions as long as they express them as such and not as fact. So up yer kilt laddie!
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
On 9/30 you posted the following question:

...if you pass them a handheld, why not then just use the handheld yourself in a neck collar of some sort and pass it back and forth?

And on the same date I posted this answer:

Because it's cumbersome and looks dorky.

You inquired as to why the reader would not elect to use a handheld microphone in the manner you described. Having used a handheld microphone in such a manner, I gave you my reasons for no longer doing so. I assumed--mistakenly, it seems--that was the sort of feedback you desired.

In any case, how you could interpret my response as an attempted statement of fact is beyond me.
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Let it go Donal, I ain't goin' to fight. Why bother.

Oh, but for the record, I'm very proud of my Scottish thistle tattoo on my calf in memory of my Grandfather, born and raised in Scotland and fought for the Scots in WWI wearing a kilt. He had a similar tattoo. So, it was with tongue planted firmly in cheek when I made the men in skirts reference. Hence the winking icon.

Enjoy your evening.
miscoes
View Profile
New user
Allariz, Spain
94 Posts

Profile of miscoes
Hello.

My particular oppinions after 25 years doing professional sound with professional equipment (renting, adjusting, operating...)
- A handheld microphone hanging from you neck looks absolutely outdated (at least in this part of the world)
- In theater and interior shows I usually perform with a lapel mic but when performing "outside" shows I use an earset.

And some facts:
- Today's earsets and lapel microphones are able to help you in avoiding feedback and it's not needed to put them in front of the spectator or helper to amplify his/her voice.
- It's not easy to perform "tied" to a microphone cable.
- In almost any venue in Spain you won't be allowed to performin this way. They will offer you a wireless microphone.
- If you don't have an assistant to take care of your sound level/eq/fx it's better to have the aid of a professional and "memorize" some good settings for your equipment. In this way you don't have to worry about Feedback, bad sound, ...
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
I've worked a lot with earsets, very expensive ones. In situations where someone else has a sound system, and setting up your own would be prohibitive, a gimcrack is great to have in addition to your wireless system. The sound is unbeatable, and, if your wireless is having problems, it's right there to be used with their handheld.

I've been in some really well known Vegas shows, and from show to show, there are many variables that can change. The most important thing is to remain fluid and ready to roll with the changes. Don't fall in love with one technology, style of mic or bandwidth. No wireless mic can work 100 percent of the time in ALL situations. With wireless, things happen. Even with the new Shure 900 mhz digital mics. No matter how obscure their frequency range is, they're still susceptible to surprisingly numerous situations, according to their FAQ.

Also, make sure that you set up your receiver way before the show starts to listen for interference and dropouts while you're setting up the rest of your show.
bstokes
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of bstokes
My favorite mic is the Samson Airline micro earset as there are NO wires on your body. The mic is slightly larger than a countryman and is permanently attached to the transmitter which fits behind your ear. No body pack with a wire to get caught on pulls, dove harness, or snagged during a costume change. The whole setup runs $250.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The most ridiculous looking microphone is the one you cannot use well.
A mic on a stand, if used well can improve your show. If you don't know how to use it properly, however, you will look extremely unprofessional.

Same goes with the others.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
chleby
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of chleby
I've always used an additional handheld mic...if you have an assistant you can have them bring it out and that can also be used as a distraction
Lighting Designer- Dan Sperry MAGIC SHOW Times Scare NYC
Lighting Designer- Dan Sperry Spring 2011
chleby
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of chleby
I've always used an additional handheld mic...if you have an assistant you can have them bring it out and that can also be used as a distraction
Lighting Designer- Dan Sperry MAGIC SHOW Times Scare NYC
Lighting Designer- Dan Sperry Spring 2011
bstokes
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of bstokes
What I notice about performers using a stand mic is the awkwardness of using handheld props like ropes and such. The performer either stands far behind the mic where they are barely picked up or have to reach around the stand and perform with the stand in the middle of the effect. Either position distracts visually from the effect. A solution is to request a boom stand which is almost always available. But don't set it up the way a guitarist singer would, that is in front. Use it the way Terry Fator does, with the stand off to one side and slighty back and the boom coming at you sideways. This way your whole body and whatever you are working with is in full view of the audience.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Bstokes, can you share your favorite link for this earpiece?
bstokes
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of bstokes
Sure.

The link for the manufactuer, Samson, is
http://www.samsontech.com/samson/product......oearset/

and the link for my favorite dealer is
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SWAM2SES-N1/

I will try to attach an image.

Click here to view attached image.
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
I use the Countryman E6 and it works great, but I have been doing some costume changes and it gets knocked around on my face. I have been thinking about changing to the Samson but not this model. They have a similar one that the boom goes just past the bottom of the ear. Sorry I don't have a link. Compass is the company I have dealt with. You'll have to Google it. JMTC
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Bstokes and Ido... thanks for the heads up!I will look into them
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » If you use a headset wireless mic... (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL