The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The Art of Magic Part 3 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
(I guess I should have posted these in reverse order to make them more user friendly. Live and learn.) And finally:

- What are our roles, as practitioners and creators, in both preserving and promoting the art of magic?

If you have made it though all three of my questions, I would like to thank you for your effort. I hope that in contemplating your responses you have recalled why it is we love these effects so much, what makes them a part of us and us a part of them (if, indeed, you ever forgot. If not, then I hope it was a warm reminder). I promise any further topics I post will not be quite so deep. More along the lines of: What…is your favorite color? Blue...no...yellow.

Smile
Yakworld.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Building on my answer from question No. 2:

Art is not a destination it is a journey.

Part of the role of every artist is the preservation of those footsteps behind them and the facilitation of those yet to come. That is if they truly care about their art.

Tom Cutts
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I have already partially answered this question in my responses to the other two. However, there is a little more I want to say on this topic.

There is one performer in particular in my area who has a HORRIBLE reputation. His technique is atrocious, his presentation even worse and his stage presence and people skills are nil. Because of this man, there are many businesses and private parties who will never again hire a magician. This is the antithesis of what a true magician, an artist, does.

Every time you perform, whether for a few friends in an impromptu situation or for a paying gig, that audience should walk away thinking better of magic than they did before they saw you. EVERY TIME! THAT is your responsibility! That is your mission! And that is where the majority of magicians are failing miserably.

It all comes back to what I said earlier. Far too many magicians are all about themselves. Your performance MUST be all about the audience, all about promoting magic as a valid art form a respectable form of entertainment. When you begin to put your focus there instead of on yourself, not only will you be impacting lives and uplifting the public’s perception of magic, you will find yourself getting more shows!

Be good to magic and magic will be good to you!

Scott F. Guinn

Great Scott! It’s Magic!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
Here Here!!!
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The Art of Magic Part 3 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL