The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Puff of smoke without the flash (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Hey friends. I'm looking for a puff of smoke like a small flashpot would make but without the flash. So a stream of smoke is no good. I want this to work via remote.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Peter
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
It really depends on if this can be a pyrotechnic effect or not. Traditionally a "puff" of smoke utilizes black powder and some form of controlled ignition via an electric flash pot manufactured by any reputable dealer. The size of the puff simply depends on the amount of product. If it is ignited in an open flash pot with no restrictions it will yield a nice soft puff with no flash or report.

If pyrotechnics are not an option, there are ways of doing a similar affect but it can sometimes be complicated to get the same look. I had to get a traditional puff of smoke for an appearance but because of the location we could not use any Pyro. I ported a traditional smoke machine into a 55 gallon drum that I used as a smoke reservoir. On one side was the port for the smoke machine and a butterfly solenoid valve coming from an air tank. On the other side was a larger hose leading through the platform to the effect. The timing was very specific but just before the effect happened, we filled the drum with a large volume of smoke then tripped the valve on cue expulsivly blowing the smoke through the large tube on stage. Again it was not as good as a Pyro-based effect but sometimes you have to be creative you to legal constraints.
Ray Pierce
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Thanks Ray. That's food for thought. I am still exploring options...

BTW, does the puff of smoke from the flash pot dissipate rather quickly or does the smoke linger up in the air?

My goal is to look like a puff of dust.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Puff of smoke without the flash (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL