The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Going semi-pro...tips? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

martin king
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of martin king
Hello to everyone,

I used to be a full-time performer and I have decided to get back into the industry after a 10 year long break.

I am going to be performing as a part-time psychic reader, mentalist and hypnotist.

If anyone (pro or semi-pro) has any tips that they'd like to give me, please do so.

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

Martin.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
1. Make some goals and a list of subjects you know you need to learn about
2. Use the search function
3. If you don't find what you need, don't be afraid to ask (people on here are very helpful)
4. Repeat steps (1-3, step 1 being the most important)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think being a bit more spacific would help you tremendously. "Tips" for doing what? Your show, marketing, rehearsing, or whatever we have no idea. My first thought is if you are going to try this after a 10 year lay off is to practice and rehearse. Especially the mentalism and hypnosis.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
martin king
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of martin king
Thanks Dave & Danny.

Just to clarify, as far as my goals, I'd be happy to just have one paid gig to ease me back into performing for a fee. So you could say that's my first years goal...have one paid gig!

As to what tips I'm looking for, well, this being the business section, I'm looking for business tips (but any other areas are welcome)

I have been practising all the time since my 10 year lay-off, performing for friends and colleagues and strangers whenever requested or whenever the mood struck me.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am talking about practice and rehersal. (There is a difference.) Polishing up a show till it is ready for public to see.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
What is it you do? Magic, Mentalism, Illusions? What types of shows - Kids, corporate, etc./ Can't really offer too much advice without knowing what we're talking about. What level of experience did you have previously before stepping back? I think many here would be very willing to hep but a bit more info is needed.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I think there are some priorities that need to be considered no matter what you're doing. Assuming your act is of professional quality, here are some ideas for what they're worth:

1) Your marketing materials: are the clean, recent and professionally presented?
2) A Marketing PLAN. Who are you aiming at...where do THEY go...and how can you access them? Are they internet people or paper-in-the-hand types?
3) Have you set your rates so you KNOW without any fussing what you charge for various services. (I'm always surprised when I talk to a performer and there's a long pause while they check their rates. Seems to me they should know them by now...)
4) Personally -- I really thrive when I have set challenging clear goals for myself. I have a specific amount I have set to generate each month. Getting to that amount -- and often exceeding it -- is really a lot of fun for me. But I also factor in how much of that amount I keep...so deducting costs keeps my focus sharp. I'd set my sights higher than just one show if you're headed back to work for money.

Just a few thoughts, offered with respect because you asked. I hope they are useful to you. Good luck! Let us know how it goes for you, Martin.

David

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Going semi-pro...tips? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL