The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Photographing Balloons (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I need some help...

I have never had luck in photographing my work for promotion on my website. It's never turned out well so I just don't have it up there. I'm really wanting to fix that problem so I can showcase to clients what I'm capable of twisting.

I've tried propping up the balloons and having them shot and they never look right, so this time I decided to just pose with them. Here are a few examples of the raw unedited images...

In an attempt to change it up a bit, I had my daughter pose with a wearable Tink costume:

My thought is that as a client viewing the balloons, that with me in all the shots (ir even my daughter) holding a balloon it might get very redundant. Is there a better way to go about this...?

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
CarlEJones
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, Texas
461 Posts

Profile of CarlEJones
I take a lot of pics of my balloons with the kiddo's. As I said in my book (blatant plug) I don't think the quality of the pic is nearly as important as seeing a VERY happy kiddo with a good balloon. Just my thoughts.

And by the way -- GREAT PICTURES OF YOU!!
THANK YOU for helping us carry on our laughter ministry in hospitals to kids of ALL ages. Our visits are ALWAYS free. We NEED & DEEPLY appreciate your gifts of magic so that we can do what we do. Please PM me with questions or, for a faster reply, in most cases please text or call 214-578-1601

https://youtu.be/2DbAdXKIf-A
https://youtu.be/sXXXyk6LJgE
Steve Yarosko
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Steve Yarosko
I agree with Carl, the best pictures are with the clients smiling faces on them. I need to get off my lazy butt and actually post some that I have on my webpage. I do have some on my Facebook page. Be that as it may, Ralph Dewey did write an article on BHQ about photographing balloons. It might have some useful information for you. Here is the link: http://balloonhq.com/column/dewey/apr07/
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
535 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
Great pictures of you, Chris. I think they really capture your personality.
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Agree, you need the smiling faces to bring the balloons to life. A client will always take more away from the happy smiles than the figures alone.
Life of Magic!
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
I like the floating head illusion....

Black shirt on a black background?
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
MT
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of MT
How do you do perfect lighting for photographs?
nomorechances
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of nomorechances
If I could get the quality I see here I would be very, very happy. I'll keep trying....I think you did a great job...and yes, try to get the kids in them more often!
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
I'm currently photographing lots of balloons, here's what I've done. I hung a white sheet up in the garage. I backlit it with a few light boxes I had. Then, I lit it from the front with two more light boxes. In Photoshop, it's easy to take out the background, and then I use them on promo material, in addition to any studio or live shots. The pictures didn't come out great, but here's a couple pictures in low resolution: (p.s., I still haven't figured out how to post pictures so I just posted them on a page on the site.)

http://www.prestomagicproducts.com/balloon-pics/

Best Wishes,
Kevin
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

I have mastered the art of photographing balloons since starting this thread last year....
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Oh, I didn't know. Any suggestions to share?
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

First, the BEST way is to just have shots taken of you in the field. That way, it's not just the balloons, but the happy faces that go along with them. As for studio shots of the balloons, I have found that hiring a great photographer with editing experience is KEY! Example:

The original shot:

Several things here...

I wanted Spike to have lots of personality in the image and not just "be a balloon." So we rigged him up with painters tape to the ceiling so he'd stand at attention. Also, I was out of White Link-a-Loons for his tummy, so I just used a white round which you can tell doesn't match the rest of the sculpture.

After the photographer's Photoshop Magic, the image now looks like this:

We spend so much money on magic props or balloons, yet we won't spend any money to have quality photo's done to showcase our work in the best light? Pay someone who knows how to do the stuff.

If you're in a bind and just want to shoot something quick, here's one I just did for this thread:

I put up a black tablecloth and put the sculpture in front of it and shot the photo. No editing was done to this image...

However, this isn't going to be seen my any of my clients. I would much rather create an entire Halloween themed shot and pay someone to get a great quality image.

My 2 cents...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Christopher,
Great photos, nice work!

While I do believe shots "from the field" are valuable and important, the BEST thing any entertainer can do is have a variety of shots. Some should be studio shots, some should be "from the field" ("social proof"), etc. A variety of shots is best.

Great work, I love the finished product of your dog shoot!

-Kevin
Philip Busk
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Philip Busk
Excellent photos. I love the photoshop work.
Philip Busk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Photographing Balloons (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL