The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Switch Envelope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I have the JOL Sho-Gun wallet to perform a trick using 5 regular bills and 5 gimmick bills. However, I prefer the bills to be nice and straight without any bending in the middle when I'm performing the effect. With the bills in the Sho-Gun wallet they are all folded and I have to always straighten them out before the performance in front of the audience which I don't prefer to do. I know JOL has longer wallet that the bills don't have to be folded, but are there any types of switch envelopes or anything similar on the market that can switch out bills and are constructed very well?
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
Would a regular Himber wallet work for the routine you are doing?
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Quote:
On 2011-11-13 10:11, Frank Yuen wrote:
Would a regular Himber wallet work for the routine you are doing?

I was sort of getting away from the wallets and was thinking more of using some kind of envelope if there is such a prop.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2011-11-13 13:20, tbaer wrote:
I was sort of getting away from the wallets and was thinking more of using some kind of envelope if there is such a prop.

Yep - there sure is fella!

Check out this link:
http://www.markleveridge.co.uk/envstore.php

Scroll down to 'The Standard Leveridge Envelope'

You may want to check out with Mark via an eMail the actual dimensions for this envelope - as dollar bills are a little longer than our UK currency.

These envelopes work like a dream - and due to their construction, should last you quite some time as they are actually constructed from very thin card - not the usual envelope paper stock.

Hope that this information helps!
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I will let this well buried in plane site secret out of the bag just for you guys. The famous Roy Johnson published many tricks involving envelopes switches. The late great Ken Brooke sold Roy Johnson's trick envelope manuscript under the name of "Flawless". It is used by Alan Shaxon as well and he has added his ideas to the construction as well.

Hopefully, I have your attention now! This envelope switch uses a small stack of envelopes, by placing the bills or anything in the top envelope, it is switched at once. For Bills, just go to your bank and grab a handful of envelopes off the counter and come home and construct the gimmicks with the long bill envelopes. Most banks just have these envelopes out on the counter. It is the only thing you will get free from a bank today. LOL

You ask, what is the reason for a small stack of envelopes being in your pocket. For the magician to initiate the switch, for the spectators to make a joke that these are free at your local bank. Don't worry, it will just slide by when they see the money. LOL

This information is in the booklet sold by Stevens Magic under the "Ken Brooke Series", the booklet is called, "Roy Johnson's Flawless and Ken Brooke on the Hamman Count".

http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?ma......id=10883

I think you will realize this is the best $15.00 you ever spent on a booklet, and that is early 1980 prices, they have never increased the price on these booklets. I strongly suggest the whole 10 booklet series, it is money well spent.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Excellent recommendation wmhegbli; albeit I think he'd need larger envelopes as he wants to get away from folding the bills.

The Roy Johnson envelope switch, that you mention, is exceptionally clean and convincing.

Flawless was the Roy Johnson routine that accompanied the envelope stack BUT there was also another trick in the original manuscript involving a 'shot card'. This was sometimes used by Terry Seabrooke in his cabaret performances - although he later dropped the Roy Johnson switch method.

I don't know whether this shot effect is in the Ace Place booklet (put out by Paul Stone in the early 80's) - but it was in Ken's original instructions. Just to add, the idea with the smashing vase for the shot effect was worth it's weight in gold to a working performer - but I wonder how many took Ken's advice and actually used this?
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Thanks for the info.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2538 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Tbaer,

I use my JOL Shogun for a prediction effect using my business card and 3 items (the wallet itself, my mobile phone and my car keys). In other words, a quick effect that you can use anytime, with items that you have on you; whilst also handing out your business at the conclusion.

if you are interested in the method, drop me a PM fella.

Regards,

Bal
Barry Allen

themechanic03
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of themechanic03
Check out chapter six of Ted Lesley's book PARAMIRACLES. The Teleport Envelope can be made in various sizes using normal manilla envelopes that can be bought at office supply stores. I am a big fan of these envelopes, as the switches can be made and the inside of the envelope can be shown empty.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Okay, I don't know how many of the members here are American, but in American Banks, pay envelope are free. These envelopes are 7" X 3.25", so the bills will be flat. "Flawless" can be made up from these envelopes.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Bill, that is PRICELESS info! Thank you for the tip on the booklets! Smile

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Switch Envelope (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL