The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » REVIEW-required reading by cody fisher part one (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ddjmagic
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of ddjmagic
I have not seen any reviews on this yet so I thought I would write one, so here it is,

Required Reading by Cody Fisher is a 62 page booklet containing 16 tricks and sleights in total.

Twisting Dai Vernon- A great twist on twisting the aces

Effect-The four kings are taken from the deck and shown to all be face up, one by one the kings turn face down, the performer tells the audience that the effect is normally done with Aces, then the 4 kings change into the aces and you end clean.

I recently learned dai vernons twisting the aces, and I think this is a great version of it, everything happens just like the effect explains, the good thing about it is you end clean and there are no gimmicks which is always a good thing always a good thing.

Each sleight is clearly explained and easy to understand.

Difficulty- 5/10 (1=easiest 10=hardest)
the only thing you really need to know is the elmsley count even though it is breifly explained.

Overall- 8/10 a good solid rountine, something I will use.

Three kid Monte- perfect for kids shows, fun to watch and easy to do

Effect- Three coloring books with a number on each (they are numbered from 1-3) book 2 is shown to be colored in, 1 and 3 are shown to be uncolored with just pictures in. The books are given to 3 children and you play a three card monte style game, with lots of gags and fun for the audience

review-
This is agreat routine especially for kids shows, it has fun and excitement and audience participation and it is easy to do, what more could you want from a routine.

each phrase is clearly explained and cody also gives you different ideas on how to end it.

Difficulty- 2/10 very easy to do you just have to concentrate on presentation.

Overall- 9/10 very good rountine I can see me using it in my kids shows

Money for nothing- nice way to open up your act

Effect- this is more of a gag than an effect

Review-
If you want something to get some laughs and get the audience warmed up, this is good.

Difficulty- 1/10 doesn't get easier than this!

overall-5/10 I did not really like this because it is not really my style, but that does not mean others won't like it.

Three card mentalism- the effect sounded very good but I did not really like this that much

Effect- three people cut off a small packet of cards, remember the card on the face of the pack and shuffle it. The performer names the first 2 spectators cards then names all the cards in the third persons pack ending with the cut to card without even touching any on the cards.

review-
everything happens like above but it does require a gimmicked deck and a set up this is why I don't really like it but Cody does give you an idea on how to do it without a gimmicked deck.

Difficulty 7/10

Overall 5/10 I did not really like this effect, agin it just did not suit me, but I can see this effect being a killer for some people.

In-Jog Riffle force- very nice way to force a card

Effect- convincing force

review-
A very clean a convincing way to force a card I can see myself this now and again

Difficulty 4/10 easy force you will be doing within 30 minutes

Overall 7/10 easy and convincing

Table hopping triumph- a easy in the hands triumph

Effect- a card is selected and placled in to the deck the cards are mixed face up and face down. The cards all fix themselves except for the selected card

Review-
I was really looking forward to this effect, since I did not know any triumph effects I was not dissapointed I think it is a great effect, it is easy it does not require a table so it is perfect for restaurant work.
everyting is explained well

Difficuly 5/10 easy to do

Overall 8/10 I really liked this and I can see myself using this often

Charlier cut revelation- pretty way of producing a selected card

Effect- the deck is cut one handed a a card is turned face up from the middle of the deck it is the spectators card

Review- this is a good way of producing a card I don't think it is really good for an effect on its own but it would be great in a multiple selectin rountine or an ace production effect.

difficulty-6/10 you need to know the charlier cut

overall 7/10 I can see myself using this in my multiple selection routine

well I have reviewed half of the effects but it is getting late now so I will post the rest tomorrow.
if there is anything you want me to add or take away please post
thanks
jamie

Part 2

Any Thought card, any number- one of the easiest and cleanest ways of performing this effect

Effect-
A red and blue deck are brought out the red deck is put aside the blue deck is taken out of the box and the spectator is asked to cut of some cards, with these cards he is asked to shuffle and think of any number card in his packet.
Another spectator is asked to name a number between 20 and 40. the red deck is taken and one at a time the cards are dealt down until the thought of number is reached that card is the thought of card!

Review-The effect is just as the effect is described it is very clean, it is not any card or any number but I think it is a very fair way to have a card thought of.
The only downside to this effect is the set up but other than that it is great.

Difficulty 4/10 easy to do not really any sleight of hand

Overall 9/10 one of my favorite effects in this book, the decks are not gimmicked but it does require set up

Business control- nice way to hand out you business cards

effect- three of your business card are layed out one is gold one is black and one is white. The spectator is asked to think of one, the magican then shows he predicted what the spectator would choose, he is right.

Review- if you liked hypnotic choice you will like this, it works everytime and you get to hand out your business card.

difficulty-3/10 easy

overall 7/10 I liked this alot, it is a great idea to present a older effect

Old Time Prediction- great like pure mind reading

effect- the spectator cuts off about have the deck shuffles it and thinks of a card. the packet is placed back on the deck and the performer spreads through and pits one card face down on the table it matches the value and color of the thought of card.

Review- There are 2 downsides to this trick
1.requires set up
2. it can not be any card, the spectator is asked to think of a number card

other than that this is very good, even though it can't be any card it is a very fair way of there selection. You don't look at any of the cards throughout the trick.

Difficulty 5/10 easy

overall- 8/10 very good effect the spectators will think you can read mines.

Sleeves up mercury- nice variation on the mercury card fold

Effect- a card is secretly folding in to quarters without the spectators knowing.

Review- I did know the mercury fold before I brought this book, the fold is performed in the same way but there is a great way to cover the moves without been supicious.

Difficulty- 8/10 if you don't know the mercury card fold it will take some practice, but everything is explained very well

overall-7/10 great sleight to know

Calico kicker- great card to card box

effect- a 3 phase routine first time the card is found on top of the card box, then it is found underneath the box and finally it is found folded inside the box

Review- this was another effect I was looking forward to learning, again I was not dissapointed this is very nice the first 2 phases are very nice the third phase is also good but you do need to prepare the card box. I have used this a few times and no one has suspected anything. the rountine flows perfectly and builds up to a great finish

difficulty- 8/10 quite difficult

overall- 9/10 another of my favorites

well sorry I have just looked at the clock and I need to go out in 30 mins
will complete review tonight
sorry again
jamie
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1194 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
Dear "ddjmagic",

Thanks for the review. Just thought I would let you know that this little book is no longer in print! Doc Eason may have a few copies left? (I don't' have any!)

In any case a lot of this material has found it's way to my MUM column. If anyone is interesed, you can send me a private e-mail and I will tell you how to access my web site in order to read my monthly column for free.

Take care,
Cody S. Fisher

P.S. I will be taking my wife and new baby boy on vacation until the end of this month...so I will not be responding to e-mails until then.
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » REVIEW-required reading by cody fisher part one (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL