The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Accidental Magician with a Steady Gig (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
Or a Conjurer who Mimes ...
Or a Mime who Acts ...
Or an Actor who Dances ...
Or a Dancer who Conjures ...
You Decide!

Hi Everyone,
I am very happy to discover this on-line community. Lurked for all of about two days and then joined "The Magic Café" last night without further hesitation.

Like many of you, I have enjoyed Magic since a boy and dabbled with various magic tricks. My sisters, brother, and I would hold backyard 'fairs' and actually put on stage shows. I was the magician and my sister the assistant. My costume consisted of my Sunday best, my Mom's wool nursing cape and my Pop's dark Fedora dress hat.

Performed the kid classics: "Disappearing Leg behind towel" "Cut and restored ribbon" "Cut and restored rope", A few simple "Is this your card?" tricks using false shuffle or pinky break, "Floating Pencil", and the big finale -- "Sawing a person in half a la Ropes passing thru body" using a real live volunteer from the audience!

Not sure what was more exciting: collecting a nickel per head for our own backyard production or seeing the wide eyed neighbor kids when the rope passed through the body of thir friend. But alas, I have never had the opportunity to perform since then other than the occasional slight of hand for a niece or nephew. Until recently.

My background through high school and college involved music and the performing arts: Band, Orchestra, Musicals, Drama, etc. Flash forward and I am married, my wife dances ballet, and somehow I get enlisted to perform minor character roles on stage. Now I'm "The Drosselmeyer" in the annual production of The Nutcracker by a regional ballet company. So I perform magic every year as part of the ballet.

The act includes Silks, Thumb Tip, Flowers, Fire, Illusions, Dancing, Acting/Miming/Story Telling ... and it is all done to music with strict cues and marks to hit! This is my fifth year. It is both extremely intimidating and rewarding at the same time.

The first year I barely made it through the act. The flashers were a big challenge to load, palm, and fire correctly--many misfires and miscues. The silk and flower magic was rough. I was "all thumbs" with my TT! The illusions were flat.

Each year I have improved and built confidence. I developed a "patter" (albeit mimed) to my act, found some continuity, and wove the magic with some relevancy into the storyline. (Uncle Drosselmeyer performing Flower magic at the party foreshadows the Waltz of the Flowers in the 2nd Act; Drosselmeyer "growing" a flower magically in the party scene foreshadows his growing a Christmas tree magically in the dream sequence. Etc.).

This year I plan to dump one of the easier and more amateurish flower tricks and replace it with Vernet Flowers from FingerTips. Hope to Wow! the audience. The advice and ideas I have already found here on posts and threads is invaluable.

I am happy to have a steady gig performing Magic for a large receptive audience--even if it is only once a year. I am grateful to have found a new resource in the form of the Magic Café to help hone my craft and bring greater professionalism, polish, and Wow! to my act. Thank you!

Regards and Merry Christmas!
--Drosselmeyer
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Drosselmeyer,

What an interesting and fun project.

Give us a link if you ever post any of the year's performances on youtube.

-Mary Mowder
Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
Hi Mary,
Thank you so much! Yes, it is a lot of fun and I am having the time of my life doing it.

Last year's performance was professionally videotaped and aired on the local cable TV. I was fearful that it would make one cringe to view, but it actually came off very well. The video was copyrighted by the company so I am unsure if anyone ever "YouTubed" any snippits.

It would be embarrassing for any "real" magicians from the Café to see my earlier performances. Of course, I could probably benefit from the corrections that would be offered!!! (Like I said, they were pretty rough.)

The magic plays a "supporting role" in the story. It is meant to entertain and move the storyline along as well as underscore the mysterious, magical qualities of Drosselmeyer's character. And since it is set in the 1800's, one bonus is that I can leverage all of the old classic parlour or stage magic tricks and it fits perfectly. However, I personally want to avoid being too amateurish in appearance.

My goal is to be able to perform these as smoothly and professionally as possible so the act looks great and is fun to watch even though everyone is very familiar with the gags. This year I want to replace a few gags and change things up in order to freshen up the act. I am hoping to learn how to master misdirection and learn to improve my slight of hand by visiting the Café.

There are a ton of forums/topics here at the Café...somewhat overwhelming...would anyone know the best ones to explore for new magicians, for building technique, stage prescence, exercise / practice strategies, etc? Any and all advice is welcome.

Anyway...very excited to be here! Thanks again for your welcome.

Regards,
--Drosselmeyer
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
What an interesting career you've had. So much more yet to come.
Life of Magic!
mralincoln
View Profile
Loyal user
If I wasn't so busy, I'd have more than
219 Posts

Profile of mralincoln
Welcome to the Café!
Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
Much appreciated!! I am learning so much already!
Thank you all!
Regards,
--Drosselmeyer
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
Hi All,
Well...here it is again. Another year and another performance as Herr Drosselmeyer. I have joined IBM, attended lectures, hob knobbed with fellow Magi, conferred with Magic Café experts, attended conventions including (Bob Little's Super Sunday!), made a pilgrimage to the Magic Castle. I cannot be better prepared!!!

Thank you one and all for your support and advice!!!
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Hi Drosselmeyer,

I was just thinking about you as I put my Christmas show music on the Ipod. I'm glad you checked in.

Care to share the Magic effects you picked up for this year's performance or do they tell you what they'd like and you do your best to accommodate?

-Mary Mowder
mralincoln
View Profile
Loyal user
If I wasn't so busy, I'd have more than
219 Posts

Profile of mralincoln
Yes, merry Christmas season, Drosselmeyer!

Hope your annual gig goes well! Let us know!

FYI: Isn't visiting The Magic Castle amazing?

Christopher
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Welcome to the Café.
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Hi Drosselmeyer,
I enjoyed reading your detailed resume. It is really a nice one. Let me welcome you to our beautiful Café. As you have noticed it is one of a kind;unique.Absolutely the best the best place about magic ever.You will find this as a invaluable source that you can not buy even with money. The people are so friendly as well as being helpful.The Café is such a the unique place for Magic. It is ever expanding and has over 52.000 members throughout the world. It will make a great contribution to your magic perspective. Do not forget to post often. You will find many new friends and many new ideas here. I predict you will like the Café.Please grab a chair and begin to type your next post while you have a cup of strong Turkish coffee on my bill.
We are glad that you have joined us.
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
Hello Everyone!
Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!

This year's shows are over and we had a GREAT run! We had four sold out shows. My magic was the best ever and I totally blame TheMagicCafe and IBM RING 6 !!! Thank you everyone!

Please see:
http://www.delconewsnetwork.com/articles......3331.txt

This year I went less "technical" and kept my routine "simple". It turned out to be the most magical presentation yet! I did:

1) Drosselmeyer enters and introduces his nephew (assistant)
2) Sl**ve Bouquet produced and nephew presents bouquet to Clara
3) Children are called over for a magic show. Temple Screen (in Holiday Card motif) used to produce a Zombie. Appears as if on-stage Christmas card is used.
4) Drosselmeyer cannot float Zombie by himself and enlists children's help to "blow" on the Zombie
5) Naked Zombie ala Raymond Crowe method. Nephew removes Temple Screen and Zombie.
6) Magic cabinet is rolled on-stage.
7) Drosselmeyer produces three life size dancing dolls from modern cabinet with T*PI flasher effect.

Did not achieve all my goals for this year with my magic...but definitely attacked my performances with more confidence and professionalism due to all I have learned this year.

Thanks for all the well wishes and advice.
Regards,
--Matt
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
Matt fantastic!

let me know if you need anything
Ikswonilak
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Ikswonilak
This is an encouraging story. It's cool to read the posts and how you've progressed and developed. Thanks for sharing.
Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
Happy New Year everyone!!

Well, it was bound to happen. I lost my steady "gig"! No, I did not get fired.
Actually, I have moved onto a new chapter.

This last year I did not have the opportunity to perform as Herr Drosselmeyer or do any magic for the Nutcracker. My wife and I relocated from the east coast to the west coast. Now I am in sunny southern California. That's right...West Hollywood!

As you can imagine, one of the first things I did here was get involved at The Magic Castle. Took a six week magic course at The Castle with Marc Wilson himself. What an incredible thrill! Finally learned some great card magic and had a total blast.

My goal now is to audition at the Castle to become a magician member.

What a great journey this is!!
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Great news.

Glad you touched bases.

I was pleased to meet Mark and Noni. I can't imagine what fun it would be to take a Magic Class with Mark, let alone a 6 week course.

-Mary Mowder
Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
Hello Everyone,
Well, here it is! I am auditioning August 1st to become a Magician Member at the Academy of Magical Arts at The Magic Castle.
WISH ME LUCK!!
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Best of Luck!

I imagine that after the Magic Class with Mark Wilson you are in good shape.

-Mary Mowder
Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
Hello All,

Sorry about the late report, but I am happy to tell you that I passed the audition and have been inducted into the Academy of Magical Arts as a Magician Member! Could not be more excited.

Taking lessons with Marc and Nani Wilson at the Castle proved to be a good move.
Marc Wilson actually sponsored my AMA application! (So, what a HUGE endorsement!)
My years of Nutcracker performances and IBM membership made up the foundation of my Magic Resume.
And I performed a variation on an original routine that I created for my IBM membership audition.
You are required to perform three effects and sit an interview with Magician members.
Then your application is reviewed and approved by the board of the AMA.

What may have been unique about my audition, (at least I believe so), is that it was constructed of several self working effects. (Usually this is forbidden, or at least really discouraged and severely frowned upon). The examiners want to see "Real" Magic aptitude, "Prestidigitation", sleight of hand.
A typical applicant will perform three card effects in a "straight up manner" to demonstrate their abilities.
Once in a while someone will do egg bag, coins, or even dare Cup and Balls. However, those candidates can be held to a much higher standard. Angles are strictly watched.
My card handling skills are still weak and everyone auditions with cards. So, wanting to set myself apart, I dealt from my strong suit and "performed" an original routine made up of standard effects of my own construction.
Apparently, the examiners agreed!

I call my routine "The Gift Bag"
A gift bag is found on the floor and I discover it is labeled for me.
Inside is a "photography kit" including a camera, empty photo album, blank photo frame and a free, pre-paid developing envelope.
I happily take pictures of everyone around the room. (blinding everyone with the flash)
Then I sadly realize that I have to mail away the film and wait for development.
Not to fear! We can handle this magically.

I tear up the wrapping paper, pull out the film, tear up the free developing mailer, and stuff it all in the bag.
After shaking vigorously and with a flourish, the bag is ripped open and everything has vanished.
Now the album is full of photos of all the famous magicians associated with the Magic Castle and the AMA.

And on the final reveal, the photo frame features a picture of none other than Mark and Nani Wilson !!!

The routine makes use of three effects from Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic:
Vanish from Paper Bag; Magic Stamp Album (aka--Magic Coloring Book); Magic Photo Frame.

My wife Audrey and I have been totally enjoying membership and socializing at the club.
Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and support!

Warm Regards,
--Matt Scruggs
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Accidental Magician with a Steady Gig (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL