The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Origin of color monte (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
The search engine is full of hits for color monte; but I was curious as to its origin. Is this the first instance of Henry Christ's alignment move? etc. What a neat little trick that can be used either with the special cards OR with a borrowed deck!BTW I've noticed that the alignment move is used in a few other effects (eg Hofzinsers All Backs. Are there many more? Lynn
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
If you would have read some of those posts, I am sure your questions would have been answered.

But, the inspiration (some would say theft, myself included) for Jim Temple's Color Monte was Bill Elliott's 3 Card Monkey Business which was published in the March 1959 edition of P. Howard Lyon's Ibidem. Elliott's routine was based on Ed Marlo's Quick 3-Way which was published in the December 1958 edition of the same journal.

Color Monte was not the first instance of the Christ-Annemann alignment move. It was probably first described in a marketed Ted Annemann effect, Remote Control which was sold in 1931. Bruce Cervon wrongly attributes the move to Dai Vernon in the first volume of The Vernon Chronicles in the discussion at the end of the effect, The Two-Thirteen Trick, page 154:

"Mention of the alignment maneuver permits the relation of an interesting anecdote. Within recent years this maneuver has been associated with both Henry Christ and Ted Annemann. It is often referred to as the Annemann-Christ alignment. In fact, it was Mr. Vernon who first devised this clever maneuver in 1933..."

There are many, many more effects incorporating this move.

See:

Any of the Marlo variations in The New Tops and Kabbala and his magazines.
Derek Dingle's Quick D-Way in Derek Dingle's Complete Works, pp. 8-10 and James Swain's take on this in 21st Century Card Magic, pp. 117-122.
Wesley James' Quick Three-Way, My Way, in Enchantments~Magic for Cards and Hands, pp.77-82.
Etc, etc, etc.

Brian
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
In fact, the ACTUAL alignment move first saw the light of day via a guy named Burling Hull - who used it as an envelope switch. It's from a book called '50 sealed message readings' - published by Davenports in the late 1920's.

As for using the alignment move during 'Colour Monte' - I think it's prostituted to the point of oblivion and NOT very convincing. Personally, I've never liked the effect - even going back to the mid-1970's when I first saw the version produced by Emerson & West. I was green to magic back then but it truly stood out like a sore thumb what was happening.

I've also seen magicians that have presented this trick being 'called' by laymen on the actual alignment move; whereas others have rushed through the routine at breakneck speed to (I assume) hide the move/get to the climax - thus creating a plot of utter confusion and bewilderment in between.
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I haven't had a color monte set in years (I got mine at the magic shop in Fantasyland/Walt Disney World - a moment of silence please :sad:) Nobody ever called me on any move in the routine.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
giobbi1
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of giobbi1
I have done Color Monte in every close up set I have performed for the last 25 yrs. I never perform without a set on me and I do it for almost every group, time permitting. I have never been called on anything in the routine and I am very slow and deliberate with the moves because it can get confusing if you go too fast. I realize everyone's mileage may vary. This is just my experience. It is easily one of my favorite routines.
topchange52
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of topchange52
Hi, I also never really liked Colour Monte for some time even though I could perform it OK. Then I was booked to do a weekend spot at a London Hotel with Emlyn Hughes (a star footballer that prob only Merc Man will know!). It was based around a gambling theme and my role was to get a crowd assembled by doing a few tricks and then time it so at the start of each of the "stars" apprearances he would be assured of a full house. Anyway if I did CM once I did it a hundred times over the weekend and the more I did it the more I liked it and the better reations I was getting. The answer I think was to make the alignment move natural as it became an integral part of the patter. Anyone who knows CM should be able to follow this. I would firstly guess the queen was on the bottom (I use 2? jokers and a queen)only to be told "wrong you owe me a dolar" I would then say "OK I'm a logical sort of chap if it's not on the bottom it must be one of the other 2" Suiting actions to words I upjog re the alignmnet move and then point to the top and second cards. "Perhaps it's on top" I then do the move to be shown its not. "wrong you owe me 2 dollars" I then say " in that case it must be in the middle" to which the reply is "wrong you owe me 3 dollars". (obviously I am perfoming as both the hustler and spectator)

In all the time I did it I never got called once on the move and the end reaction on showing the 14$ card was always good. I guess it shows either practise makes perfect or more likely the more logical a move can appear the better.

Regards Steve
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Hi Steve,

I certainly do remember Emlyn Hughes - not to mention his annoying little cackle that made him sound like a girl! Not someone I'd put in the history books as one of the greatest stars to grace the game....but I digress.

However, I DO like your rationale for the alignment move - some nice, logical time delay built in there fella. Certainly not reminiscent of how I've seen this effect performed before; whereby, as stated previously, the effect was delivered at breakneck speed to get to the finale.

It's got me thinking....along the lines of the third card appearing as the spectators previously signed selection?

Cheers old chap! Smile
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
topchange52
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of topchange52
Hi Merc Man I've never thought about changing the finale of the 14$ card but I think that's a very interesting idea! It would mean re scripting the effect from the one I currently use but that's fine because it would create a completely different effect (albeit with the same method). Good thinking on your part!!
Regards Steve............
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
I seen color monte performed a number of times and it just never made an impact on me, but I guess the important thing is the impact it makes on your audience.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On 2011-12-18 10:01, motown wrote:
I seen color monte performed a number of times and it just never made an impact on me, but I guess the important thing is the impact it makes on your audience.

This is one of those mysteries of magic ... the disparity of effects on magicians v spectators! I once saw a magician use the hot rod (the paddle move prop) in a routine that completely wowed the audience. Part of the problem is that we KNOW how it works, but the audience often doesn't care to actually 'know how' ...they just want a good show. I try to make it as simple as possible, not even expecting the spectator to keep track of how much he's betting, etc.; and I always get a good reaction.
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
587 Posts

Profile of Motor City
I have used Color Monte for more years than I can remember with great success. Those worried about the alignment move may wish to check out Garrett Thomas' version of Color Monte. It is very good and does NOT use the alignment move.

Note: Garrett's version of Color Monte is NOT to be confused with his effect Stand Up Monte.
MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
272 Posts

Profile of MerlH
I have opened my close up with Color Monti for about 40 years simply because it is fast and gets a GREAT reaction. It sets the tone for the rest of act. don't sell it short for lay people. If it is good for Luka, it is certainly good enough for me!!!!!

Merl
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I'm revivivng this thread because I'm intrigued by Motor City's comment about Garrett Thomas's version of Color Monte. Does anyone know where I can find this effect. I tried Google and conjuringarchive.com without success.

Thanks,

Bob
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2024, Bob G wrote:
I'm revivivng this thread because I'm intrigued by Motor City's comment about Garrett Thomas's version of Color Monte. Does anyone know where I can find this effect. I tried Google and conjuringarchive.com without success.

Thanks,

Bob

Yes.
You can find Thomas's Color Monte version on his DVD "Inside the Mind of Garrett Thomas" Vol.2:
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S17529

Darko
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Darko, I appreciate it.

See you,

Bob
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Yeah, much appreciated as well but the reference is a set for $98, no thanks.

The alignment move never bothered me so I'm just curious but not that curious, ha!

Quote:
On Feb 7, 2024, dj wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2024, Bob G wrote:

Thanks,

Bob

Yes.
You can find Thomas's Color Monte version on his DVD "Inside the Mind of Garrett Thomas" Vol.2:
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S17529

Darko
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
You can also get the disks individually: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/card-m......dividual .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Origin of color monte (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL