The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dutch courage v Intoxication (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

*double-A-magic*
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, England, UK
255 Posts

Profile of *double-A-magic*
Hi all,

It's well documented that having a couple of beers, or whatever's your poison, before certain events (i.e. chatting up someone you like, best man’s speech etc.) can both give you a bit of 'Dutch courage' and also calm any nerves.

When I perform it is usually in a bar/pub environment, only for friends and family at the moment, and I like to have a beer before going starting.

Clearly if you were to attempt to perform drunk, not just magic but any art, you're more likely to make mistakes/mess up completely
I was wondering if any of you have any experiences or advice on the matter. I'm sure if you pace yourself and have a strict limit on how much you drink you should be fine but I’m fear one day I’ll get bladdered and the cards will come out... Smile

AA
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice."
<BR>
<BR>- Joseph Dunninger -
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Well, Its better than something else coming out!!!!

I like to have a couple Smile but have always been able curb the desire to perform when the couple become a couple more.
Mipple
View Profile
New user
London, UK
76 Posts

Profile of Mipple
I think it will depend on personal preference and exactly what sort of things you'll be performing. My experience of this so far comes from music rather than magic though.

Personally, I'd usually have a couple of drinks before a gig quite happily but tend not to have more than that. Once the gig has started I'm free to drink as much as I like because I know that, in practice, I've got such little drinking time available (between songs or in sections where I'm not playing) that it's actually almost impossible for me to get any more drunk. Interestingly enough, while I'll happily drink before a performance I never drink before practicing as in that case I care about getting every little detail exactly right in a way that's not so vital in a whole performance.

I think that the technical difficulty of what you're trying to do will have a bearing on this. A guy I used to play jazz with would drink four pints or more before a gig (he found the extra creativity this gave useful and didn't miss the loss of technique enough to make it a problem) but wouldn't touch a drop if he was playing classical music (the loss of technique was a big issue for him in this case).

Just a few loosly connected thoughts...

Mark
smileymcsmiley
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of smileymcsmiley
I don't tend to drink before I show anyone anything as I am paranoid abour messing up a move. I guess it depends on the technical level like Mipple said. I would be really p****d off if messed up moves cos I had a little bit too much. Plus I found recently, just this weekend in fact when performing in venues where the drink is flowing freely you can get away with more as everyone else is on their way. I was really nervous, did a invisible p***, was so nervous I didn't turn the card back to face down and they still didn't see the move. Mind you reading what I just read I think I have defeated my own argument because then you could drink a few and still get away with stuff Smile
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
In my experience, just like when playing pool, there's a magic amount of alcohol where you become invincible and everything just works. The trouble is, just like with pool, that stage lasts for maybe 10 minutes and then things go rapidly downhill Smile
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
I screw like every trick up when I am drunk and performing. So id rather be sober.
That being said, I'm dutch so I already have the courage and don't need any beverege Smile
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I don't drink so I always perform sober. I've never been drunk nor under the influence of alcohol so I have no idea if a couple of drinks would be benefical in any way.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Just say no.
You know why don't act naive.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
I have done a show while drunk before, which is a rare occasion. I was at my mates housewarming and we were all on the spirits and had a LOT to drink. It was only about 7 or 8 guests.

Because I have been doing my show for 8 years, everything has been practiced down pat so I had no trouble at all. Not one mistake. It was a lot of fun.

But I wouldn't recommend doing this for a paid gig! Or if you aren't well rehearsed.
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
maxnew40
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of maxnew40
The rule of thumb I use as a musician is one beer per hour and no more. You should not get drunk with one beer per hour.

-Max
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
It's not today's drink that is the problem; it's the cumulative effect. As a part-timer, your worries are less than if you perform every day.

For me, I would never let a client smell booze on my breath.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
*double-A-magic*
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, England, UK
255 Posts

Profile of *double-A-magic*
Thanks for all your replies guys.

Hopefully once I get more performances under my belt then the condifence will rise and I won't need any "dutch courage"!

I'm a hobbyist at the moments and don't have any clients so it's not a concern right now. Obviously if I move in to performing voluntarily at schools/carehomes etc. then I definitely won't be having anything to drink.

Anyhoo, enough chat I'm off to the pub Smile

AA
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice."
<BR>
<BR>- Joseph Dunninger -
rsylvester
View Profile
Loyal user
Trying to learn to BP a duck in
269 Posts

Profile of rsylvester
A beer an hour is a good rule. It takes the edge off but you don't have so much that it messes up your performance. Plus, it's a bit healthier. Stealing a line from a musician friend, I always encourage others to drink: "The more you drink, the better you'll like my magic." Always gets a laugh. And it works.
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Booze does not steady your nerves...FACT!

That is the big LIE!!!

Only people who drink alcohol think it steadies the nerves whatever, but
proof positive is the FACT that a person who is drunk high touched a little by the drink does not have a steady hand. under the influence you may think you are calm etc, but in reality those who don't drink or are not touched can see the effects of the alcohol that one who drinks is blind to see or wants to admit.

Alcohol Sucks!!!
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
If you are on a paid gig, don't drink. No exceptions. In most jobs, people are fired for drinking onthe job. Why should magicians be any different? Unless you don't think of magic as a profession ...

Hudson
StJohn
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of StJohn
I agree with the non drinkers. If it gives you confidence each time could you ever perform without it. Then there is a problem forming. Feel the fear and do it anyway. It becomes easier and probably is more fun. I never drink before but after is a very different thing!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dutch courage v Intoxication (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL