The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Magnetic Strip Failure (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I'm going through a book that has a number of effects using shell coins (pennies, nickels) that require magnetic strip in order work.

Every brand of magnetic strip I have tried (a number of them) has been rather useless as far as strength goes. I finally did find some small, thin magnetic circles made out of magnetic strip that are just the right size for the shells, but the strength, while better than other magnetic strip, is still unreliable. They are just not designed to be strong enough to work well through a shell.

Rare earth magnets work very, very well, but are a little thick.

Question:

Has anyone used a magnetic strip they have found stronger than the norm?

If not, I'll begin to search for extremely thin disc magnets. I like the flexibility of strip, as it can be cut to fit one's needs, but its got to be able to hold.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Not sure about this, but can't you just rub the weaker magnet against a stronger magnet to make it stronger?
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
That has worked for me in the past using only standard magnets, but with little or no success on strip. It couldn't hurt to try again using a larger magnet, but I wanted to check around re: types of strip before ordering a larger magnet to try and strengthen the strip. Thanks for your input, though!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
BTW, I realize that I can get correctly sized magnets online for shell use, but the magnetic strip offers some uses in other ways, and so just wanted to see if stronger strip was even available.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Where are you buying the strips? Both arts and crafts stores (like Michael's) and hardware stores have a variety. I'd also PM David Neighbors as he has had lots of experience with magnets. Please tell me what you find.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
What are you useing them for? I just found a killer little Magnetic that was put into a Sharpie! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Atom, different craft stores and Home Depot were where I got the strips.

David, basically effects that have a similar feel to "Lethal Tender" - not that effect, but workings related to that kind of thing.
Bambu
View Profile
Elite user
California
498 Posts

Profile of Bambu
I have available dollar size discs of thin flexible magnets with sticky back. The magnet will fit any kind of ex shell and will hold without problems any attracted to magnet dollar coin.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Your welcome...and I just found the perfect magnets. Very small discs just less than half the diameter of a penny. They are thinner than the thickness of a shell penny, so all it takes is some double stick tape (or the shim that comes in many shell pennies) and I'm good to go. If for some odd reason I needed more strength, 2 of them will fit and lie flat:

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=10

D501 and/or D501-N52 (which is a bit stronger)

5/16" in diameter

1/32" thick

Even better - I got 10 of each of them for a total of $6. Unfortunately, shipping was $9.21 Smile But for 20 magnets...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Magnetic Strip Failure (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL