The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » S.W. Erdnase - The Mystery Solved... finally? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
Richard Hatch is finally publishing his research on his candidate for the identity of S.W. Edrnase, the enigmatic author of The Expert at the Card Table. It will be included in a limited edition publication entitled Erdnase Unmasked which also has contributions from David Ben, Jason England and Hurt McDermott.
James Alan

Magic & Martini | Blog | Facebook
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Does Richard subscribe to the (very convincing) theory recently presented in Genii magazine, the identity being that of W.S. Anders?
It's all in the reflexes.
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
Different candidate by the name of E.S. Andrews.
James Alan

Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Sorry, I believe I meant W.E. Sanders (not W.S.).

E.S. Andrews has been the most commonly believed identity for many years. I find the case for Sanders extremely compelling.
john-pears
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of john-pears
Why do you want to solve a mystery? Is more fun to keep it mysterious. Smile
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
Quote:
On 2011-11-26 08:24, Illucifer wrote:
... I find the case for Saunders extremely compelling.

Then you'll love this guy!

Richard has shared some of his research before at the LA Conference, the Collectors Weekend and on the Ackerman Erdnase DVDs. Edwin Sumner Andrews was head and shoulders above all the other candidates then, and that research was the tip of the iceberg.
James Alan

Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
So, where can we buy this new publication? A search of the H&R website gave nothing up.

Dave.
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
641 Posts

Profile of Sensio
Yes, this would be interesting to know. Also what led to this "masking"...

Sensio
BenjaminMan
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of BenjaminMan
The name E.S. Andrews just seems to make the most sense to me, other evidence aside.
I mean, what are the chances it happens to spell that backwards exactly?
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
427 Posts

Profile of boinko
Where is this publication available?
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
It's being printed and will be available at your favourite magic dealer (via Murphy's) so should turn up in 2-3 weeks.
James Alan

Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I wouldn't say it's head and shoulders above. The case for Sanders is very strong.

Benjaminman, have a look at the article from the September Genii spelling out the case for Sanders. The name anagram goes beyond a simple backward reading. Much cleverer than that.
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
I just posted my chat with David Ben & Julie Eng of Magicana in which we discuss the latest edition of Magicol & their EverythingErdnase.com exhibit as well as Richard's theories on the identity of Erdnase. Enjoy: http://bit.ly/EErdnase
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
Quote:
On 2011-11-26 22:17, Illucifer wrote:
I wouldn't say it's head and shoulders above. The case for Sanders is very strong.

Ok, now that the magazine has arrived in Canada (the limited edition booklet is still about a week away) and I've actually had a chance to read both, it IS head and shoulders above. E.S. Andrews is a better fit for, name (obviously), location (big time), physical description, age (barely), occupation (find a 40-year old miner hands that are soft like a woman's), magic connections (Mutus Nomen Dedit Cosis is a trick Erdnase would have scoffed at), Dalrymple relation, and why he "needs the money".
James Alan

James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
Quote:
On 2011-11-26 15:59, boinko wrote:
Where is this publication available?

The advance copies being sold directly through Magicana are sold out, so you'll have to check with your local dealer.
James Alan

donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
Seven years latter. So, who won? Penguin says Ben's book has been "discontinued". Is it bad science for me to infer from this? I can't find the book available from any reputable source.
For the meantime, I'll peruse Genii 2011 Sep issue and Dodd Vickers Newswire above (what a great resource!).
I really like David Ben's commitment to magic and there's no doubt he's a mega-force in the art, but once you fund a big project, don't you become biased?
It's not their senses that mislead, it's their assumptions.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2018, donny wrote:
Seven years latter. So, who won? Penguin says Ben's book has been "discontinued". Is it bad science for me to infer from this? I can't find the book available from any reputable source.
For the meantime, I'll peruse Genii 2011 Sep issue and Dodd Vickers Newswire above (what a great resource!).
I really like David Ben's commitment to magic and there's no doubt he's a mega-force in the art, but once you fund a big project, don't you become biased?

If you are really interested in the whole "Who was he really" issue? You should check out "The Annotated Erdnase" by Darwin Ortiz and Mike Caveney'
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S15290

There is an entire section in the back of the book relating to different people's interpretations and historical findings.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » S.W. Erdnase - The Mystery Solved... finally? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL