The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Rope for escapes... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I have about 200' of 5/8' stiff 3 peice twisted nylon rope in the garage. I used this type of rope for commercial fishing a few years ago. Is it any good for escapes or should I get some woven soft fiber nylon rope? What kinds do other folks use?

(I haven't done any rope stuff yet, at all)
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
What you have would work fine in a walk around/ parlour setting, but on stage you should have the bigger, thicker stuff.

Remember also the bigger and more sturdy something looks the harder it looks to escape from from the aduience point of view.

Two escapes I can think of that would work with that would be Bigelow's Tripple Tie and Mercenary 80. Give them a try and see how you fair.

Shawn
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Bretigan
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee
102 Posts

Profile of Bretigan
Hi,

I have worked pretty much with 5/16 and 3/8 style of rope. I have learned that new rope (stiffer) is easier to get out of. I saw a Ripley's episode and a guy was tied with 1 inch rope... granted it wasn't in a standing position, but still, 1 inch? I guess it looks impressive, but to actually get knots and tightness should be extremely difficult. I guess I would practice with smaller rope, and then when you do the escape in public, use the thicker rope.

As far as the bigelows tripple tie and the mercenary 80, I really have no idea what those are. X, what are those?
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Mercenary 80's is an escape from my first manuscipt and Tripple Tie (spelled wrong but that is the title) is from Bigelow's manuscript of the same name. They are just easy escapes that can be done with just about any type of rope and the first ones that popped into my head.

X
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I use a 3/4" diameter cotton-nylon blend rope with my escapes. It's soft enough to tie firm knots in, yet firm enough to allow ease in working. I found mine in the hardware section in WalMart.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I don't think this stuff will work. I have a tough time tying knots in it myself. I will shop for some softer stuff. What is the all time favorite color?

I was thinking white or very bright yellow, but have no idea on real world color.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
White I'll say is more commonly used. I have also seen rope at K-Mart that comes in different colors. Why not also try red and blue if you already have white. Don,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Rope for escapes... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL