The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » If someone ask you that he wanted to learn a flourish cut would you teach him? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DanielMooncalf
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
113 Posts

Profile of DanielMooncalf
Yep... If they want to learn, why not? If they want to learn a magic trick, I tell them the first trick I started to get good responses with. If they want to invest further, I'll tell them to get "Magic for Dummies"
rsummer27
View Profile
Loyal user
South Carolina
225 Posts

Profile of rsummer27
As a juggler I have noticed that if you show someone how to juggle and they try it, then they can really understand how hard it is. I think to a certain point card florishes are the same way. Most people don't want to do home and practice beside the fireplace for three hours a day. If they try it and can't do it, then they respect you more for being able to do it.

I would never stop a routine to let someone play with my deck, but if someone looked for me after the show I would let them try some things.

I remember as a child when I would stay for hours after a magic show trying to get to talk to the performer for a little bit. The ones that were nice and understanding and shared just a tiny little bit with me influenced what I do today.
Giggles the Clown buys all of his
supplies at www.madhattermagicshop.com
Super Low Prices on Videos and DVDs!
Black Magic
View Profile
New user
New Orleans, La
87 Posts

Profile of Black Magic
Sure, 9 times of of 10 they won't get it. It's just a flourish. No big deal to me.
Badger
View Profile
Elite user
Ireland
401 Posts

Profile of Badger
I do not show them how to do anything. There are so many magicians who do not have experience, mess up their tricks in front of laymen and yes! laymen will see that Double lift or tilt. So there you go.
Smile Smile Smile
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
I'd say no. Most people how don't handle cards on a normal basis aren't going to be able to do anything anyway. Certainly they have this false assumption in their head they will be able to do it easily and fool their friends. There's not much chance they'll catch on.
The Rain Man
View Profile
New user
UK
2 Posts

Profile of The Rain Man
It's been so long.
Flourishes are of beauty not magic, the only connection that they have with magic is that they make magicians look skillfull, sometimes a lot more skilful to laymen than they really deserve credit for. This is an argument that will live forever with no resolve, no matter how many find peace between the two, there will always be more people trying to solve the problem. The ultimate decicion of how you catagorise yourself between the two makes the decision on weather your here for the attention or the beauty of the art. I think it has become trodden on by some I can't name just for the show offs and money chasers. CC kept the art alive, and it still resides, it's just a lot more underground these days, that's how it should be.
It just keeps raining

http://www.magicbox.uk.com/product.php/909/11574/
XVIII
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
NO, Definitely no for me! Smile

If they still try to convince me, I'll teach them the easiest, "ribbon spread"..

"I will if they pay me for lessons".. like everybody says.. Smile
Burns
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of Burns
OF COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!
they must know how hard it is to do a simple cut to be able to enjoy yyor skill!! take your time. go slow and theach the the charlier (they'll probably fail)
afther they fail show them a cut combo. GREA REACTIONS! even if they get it. make them do it again. now in both hands or faster. then do a both handed fast cut combo routine (aerials helps) really get em going. this is a GREAT start of a XCM Show. really get it going.

They NEED to know how hard it is to enjoy skill.
YES for gods sake TEACH EM!
but hey. no no on CTG, and stuff. the Charlier will be to much for them annyways. teach them to shuffle propperly and maybe the spring. I teach a lot of ppl the spring. and wow. the reactions when they almost make it. They know that it's hard and that it takes a lot of practise. just try doing a overhead spring followed by a upside down spring to a newb that has just sprung some cards from one hand to the other.

WOW.
"I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous..." -GrumpyOwl-

"I don't invent, I do Personal Discoveries" - Myself-
MnemonicaRedux
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of MnemonicaRedux
True, Burns, true... just like ol' De'vo said Smile

Show them TRULY how difficult a move is, and THEN they will appreicate it much more. The thing about us experienced people is that we tend to make it look easy... giving them the impression of "Oh, I could do that..."

But once they know how truly hard a move is, such as something as simple as a charlier, THEN they will be able to grasp the difficulty of the move, and thus will all paradigms about "juggling" and "too much time with the cards" be broken... they will see it as an art form.

Hehe

-Kev
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
There is a special cut that I invented, and am very proud of.

Whenever I do it, people ask how I did it. I repeat the move, and even when I do it in slow motion, people are amazed.

I don't try to teach it to them, as I know they wouldn't be able to do it without weeks (If not months) of practice, but it seems like doing the move slowly makes them even more amazed than before.

That is, for flourishes, where skill and dexterity are the most important parts. I wouldn't do this with magic.

Shane Wiker
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » If someone ask you that he wanted to learn a flourish cut would you teach him? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL