The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Recording my voice to sound real. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Is there any somewhat cheap recording device that I can record my voice, so that when I play it back it sounds just like me when I really do talk?

This is an Idea I have, if this can be done. I am a ventriloquist, and at times my puppet would be basically lip syncing sometimes, and at other times it would really be me talking for my puppet.

This might really blow people away.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Generally, the audio playback of our voices really DOES sound like us. However, because we hear our voices from WITHIN our head, as opposed to how others hear us, we don't think it sounds like us.

Our recorded voices are generally how we actually sound.

Hope this helps.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Terry Fator, wont you chime in here??
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I must also say that both my voice for the puppet and the recorded voice would both be amplified and coming from the same PA speakers. I also set up fake microphones in front of my puppet in order to keep the illusion alive, even though the puppets look goofy.

I must also say that even though I do stage shows, sometimes for 100-200 people, I'm not what you would call a big time performer. I'm usually working by myself or with my 11 year old Grand-daughter as my assistant.
miscoes
View Profile
New user
Allariz, Spain
94 Posts

Profile of miscoes
If you have a computer, the cheapest will be something like this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_usb1x.htm

You can then use your regular microphone and a free software like Audacity to record and edit your voice.

I've used this same device to live-stream audio in conferences (to avoid carrying my regular rack of interfaces) and the result is OK. Of course not the hight quality you will have with a professional interface but good enough for speaking.

As some users pointed, hearing your recorded voice is an experience because it will sound very different to what you are used. Be prepared...

Then, for playing, there are many options ( iPod, Laptop, Mp3 player, ... )

I can give you more help with recording and editing needs. Simply send me a note.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just buy a microphone with a 1/8" plug, and plug it into the back of your computer for the microphone. Then if using windows open 'Sound Recorder' and record your message.
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Thanks for the tip, I will try it.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Perhaps you can equip your puppet with a "wireless mic", that obviously is non working, but will assist with the illusion without distracting from the puppets appearance.
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I usually have a non-working mic on a stand in front of my puppet. Even with as goofy as all of my puppets look, I do like to have the illusion that they are really doing the talking.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Recording my voice to sound real. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL