The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Necessary vs. Sufficient (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Big Sam
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
164 Posts

Profile of Big Sam
Howdy All

I just finished my opening lecture to my public speaking classes and thought I'd pass on a tip that I stress to my students:

When preparing for a performance it's vital to go beyond what's necessary and look towards what will be sufficient to achieve your overall goal. Learning the correct slights, having the right props, finding an audience are only the necessary elements, but they are not enough to sufficiently entertain the crowd. Timing, pace, portrayal of confidence and all the other presentational element are required to be sufficient.

It's like watching the American Idol auditions - the sad cases are the ones who only thought that showing up for the audition would be sufficient instead of just necessary. We've all been guilty of learning a trick and rushing out to show it without spending the time to polish it into a successful effect. However, the time spent going from necessary to sufficient is invaluable and can't be rushed.

Sam
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Excellent advice and a great way to contextualize the performing situation and what has to happen to insure success.
Brad Burt
davidandstuff
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Mo
69 Posts

Profile of davidandstuff
I got lost initially because it seems the terms could be switched depending on ones def of "sufficient" and "necessary." I read it over again and am grateful I did. This is a wise lesson for anyone to learn and a sufficient one to be reminded of. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Necessary vs. Sufficient (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL