The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tinder for fire building (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
I help out with the scouts from time to time and just thought of something very useful. I may educate them but not sure if it's a good idea due to exposure. Mouth coils could be great to carry as tinder! Especially if you know how to make them. The tissue paper ones I mean. You have much tinder that compacts very small. Having more tinder in a containment bag then you would with flax, charcloth, cotton, or anything else. Would this be a bad exposure? Mouth coils are not the biggest secret and more of a gag but a secret non the less.
Jeremy Gates
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Kids today with their coily-doily's. In my day we just kept our charred cloth in a film canister. One time old Jimmy chopped his finger clean off trying to get a spark with a Buck knife. I don't know why we called him old Jimmy, he was only seven. After that we just called him Joey Stubfinger. That was the way it was and we liked it!
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I can think of a few other magic tricks I'd rather see burned.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Lots of flash cotton... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Mouth coils are a good idea!

Pack a little steel wool in there too, for an extra hot start.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

That would certainly make it work better thanks Tom.
Jeremy Gates
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I used pizza (empty) boxes to start the fire in my fireplace. They worked really well.

Ha! It reminds me of how you get a macician off of your front porch...
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2012-01-14 13:56, Salguod Nairb wrote:
I used pizza (empty) boxes to start the fire in my fireplace. They worked really well.

Ha! It reminds me of how you get a macician off of your front porch...

Now, if we can only get them to deliver pizza to the woods, it sure would help with our survival situation. Smile
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Anyway, that is not a bad idea actually...

Seriously, first night, Pizza...

Tomorrow, Porcupine! And we have the Pizza Boxes to start the fire with... Smile
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
They burn hot and fast. Keep the box closed and you will have a roaring fire in no time. I think it is because the box is corigaged which draws in the air.
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

I am sure pizza boxes burn good. However the whole idea of mouth coils is not because tissue paper burns well. It's that they contain much burnable material that packs very small. Pizza boxes do not pack as small. I should try pizza boxes sometime though.
Jeremy Gates
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
We used dryer lint - two bags. One bag was normal lint, for the Scoutmasters to inspect, the other bag was dryer lint that had been soaked in lighter fluid. We weren't allowed to use lint after that camp out.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2012-01-15 13:10, Josh Chaikin wrote:
We used dryer lint - two bags. One bag was normal lint, for the Scoutmasters to inspect, the other bag was dryer lint that had been soaked in lighter fluid. We weren't allowed to use lint after that camp out.

In my 'go bag' I have dryer lint, some sawdust fire starters my friend made, and a bag of vaseline coated cotton-which will light wet and burns fairly long.
~Will Rogers
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2012-01-15 13:25, critter wrote:
Quote:

In my 'go bag' I have dryer lint, some sawdust fire starters my friend made, and a bag of vaseline coated cotton-which will light wet and burns fairly long.

I'll have to remember the Vaseline thing...I got lucky when I did wilderness survival, we had no rain and my shelter held.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Correction, the ones my friend gave me are not the sawdust kind, they are made from toilet paper rolls packed inside of each other.
~Will Rogers
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

That works and I know someone that does something simular. Sawdust mixed with motor oil. Or something like that highly dangerous though.
Jeremy Gates
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

One time at camp a tornado went through. hundreds of scouts had to go under a shelter. Powerlines were down and we got back to camp to find our tents down hill in a muddy mess. That really taught us fire building skills.
Jeremy Gates
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
The friend that made the tubes is a retired Air Force survival instructor.
~Will Rogers
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Vaseline? I'm sure Ned Beatty could of used that when he went into the woods too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tinder for fire building (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL