The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » "Day One" - My simplified "day for any date" (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Last year, I decided to see just how far I could simplify the required work for the classic "Day For Any Date" feat. I've just release the results as Day One!

Instead of 100 year mnemonics, I teach how to handle entire centuries with less than a third of that amount. As for the math, only a single subtraction is used, and even that isn't always needed!

My approach is taught via PDF notes, animated video mnemonics, and browser-based quizzes.

There are more details, including reviews by other Magic Café members, at the "Penny For Your Thoughts" thread on Day One, if you'd like to learn more.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Hi Scott,
Having followed the above link to the thread in "Penny For Your Thoughts" Day One ... I just had to have this.
Just downloaded it, and can't wait to get into this.

Will keep you posted ...
Wulfiesmith
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Thanks for buying it!

Take the time to digest it, and let me know what you think.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Let me say straight off ... I am no math wizard.
When I first downloaded and saw what was in front of me ... I thought I had bitten off more than I could chew.

But when I sat down and took time to read the details, I have to say this is a fantastic piece of work.

So well documented, and presented, and supported by other supplied material.
I am so pleased I bought this. Really enjoyable stuff. And would highly recommend it.

One of my best purchases in years!

Just one question Scott ...
what other items do you have for sale!

regards,
WulfieSmith
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I bought and downloaded this last week. Very well done, Scott!

My only wish: That the memory stuff included in the videos has also been included in the PDF. Unlike many, I don’t always have access to an internet-connected mobile device. I have one but am often in places where I'm not permitted to connect. A paper copy would suit me well in such instances.

Thanks!

Jim
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Jim, thank you! Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

You shouldn't need the internet to see the videos on your mobile device. Most mobile devices allow you to store the movies right on the device itself.

Quote:
On 2012-04-17 15:16, wulfiesmith wrote:
Let me say straight off ... I am no math wizard.
When I first downloaded and saw what was in front of me ... I thought I had bitten off more than I could chew.

But when I sat down and took time to read the details, I have to say this is a fantastic piece of work.

So well documented, and presented, and supported by other supplied material.
I am so pleased I bought this. Really enjoyable stuff. And would highly recommend it.

One of my best purchases in years!

Just one question Scott ...
what other items do you have for sale!

regards,
WulfieSmith

Wow! Thanks, wulfie!

I have a few other things for sale here...
http://www.lybrary.com/scott-cram-m-187.html

...and here:
http://gmeshop.blogspot.com/
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
There are additional touches to Day One on my blog today:
http://headinside.blogspot.com/2012/05/day-one-touches.html

I think you'll especially like the new "Christmas and Halloween" method of working out the doomsday.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
There are additional touches to Day One on my blog today:
http://headinside.blogspot.com/2012/05/day-one-touches.html

I think you'll especially like the new "Christmas and Halloween" method of working out the doomsday.
hcs
View Profile
Special user
Germany, Magdeburg
508 Posts

Profile of hcs
Dear Scott,

thank you very much for sharing your additional tips and for recommending my perpetual calendar "Gregorian Calendar Sheets of the Years 1582 - 2399", which allows to state in advance the page on which a given year's calendar is located.
Hans-Christian
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Pog
Scott, I recently bought your Day One product. excellent stuff, great value, and fantastic production! I love the extra tips and memory-aides; great stuff! Can't wait until I can get this down cold ... Wonderful! Smile
'One of the safest ways to make a good performance is to have tricks which work so easily, that mechanics can be forgotten and every attention devoted to presentation' - Corinda
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Thanks, Pog!
fyi2
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of fyi2
Just got this, and I love it. I am amazed that what you get for the proce of a PDF, is the PDF, the vidoes, training apps, and lots of extras. Truly great value.

Tony
hcs
View Profile
Special user
Germany, Magdeburg
508 Posts

Profile of hcs
Save 18% on any order until Friday, 13th July 2012 for my perpetual calendar "Gregorian Calendar Sheets of the Years 1582 - 2399", which allows to state in advance the page on which a given year's calendar is located.
Code is: CAUGHT
http://www.lulu.com/shop/hans-christian-......505.html

BTW: I describe a mental calculation of Easter in the latest version of my Encyclopedia of Weekday Calculation.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
BTW, There's a calculation you do for Day One that's exactly the same as the one you need for Dr. Solka's Gregorian Calendar Sheets perpetual calendar book, so they work well together.

Quote:
On 2012-07-06 22:45, fyi2 wrote:
Just got this, and I love it. I am amazed that what you get for the proce of a PDF, is the PDF, the vidoes, training apps, and lots of extras. Truly great value.

Tony

Glad you like it, Tony! Are you working through it? How's it going so far?

For anyone who has bought, practiced, and used Day One, I've love to hear about any great stories or reactions you'd like to share.
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Pog
Just to keep you updated, I'm doing well with it - really just working on speed and presentation now. I do the basic day one with the 65 th birthday bonus ( its cool and easy). Most specs I've tried it on see it as a little geeky and quite clever, but nothing more than that yet. But that's because I was only presenting it as an off the cuff stand alone effect for practice, as part of a mentalism routine with other memory effects and using their calendar info as part of a bigger numerology spiel I hope to see better reactions.

So far I'd say money well spent! Smile
'One of the safest ways to make a good performance is to have tricks which work so easily, that mechanics can be forgotten and every attention devoted to presentation' - Corinda
Machina
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Machina
Just got this - it looks liek its going to be great.
This "has nothing to do with the Magician who doesn't like Rock n Roll!" Corinda

www.mechanicsofthemind.com
jhoff
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of jhoff
Just one thought:
Instead of asking the spectator for his or her birthday as needed for Day One, why not optain it through mentalism, as shown here:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/6347

I guess there are also other methods but I was impressed by Andreas' Tarino routine so I believe this one is also a killer. It's on my list. I guess the reviews speak for themselves.
~ Jason
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
An old thread ... I know.
but this Magic GEM should not be left in the archives!

Now retired at 69, I still perform this, and it goes down Big Time.
The price you pay, for the knowledge and tutorial, it is second to none.

Highly recommended mentalism routine!

wulfie
Vandecarr
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Vandecarr
I got this and have one problem...

How do I know which years are leap years for Feb 29 and Jan 3(4)?

I have everything else memorized and have re-read the instructions multiple times and I cannot find anything to know which years are leaps.

Can anybody help?
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2023, Vandecarr wrote:
I got this and have one problem...

How do I know which years are leap years for Feb 29 and Jan 3(4)?

I have everything else memorized and have re-read the instructions multiple times and I cannot find anything to know which years are leaps.

Can anybody help?

I don't use this system, instead using the one taught by Arthur Benjamin in The Magic of Math. But leap years occur when the year number is evenly divisible by 4, except for end-of-century years which must be evenly divisible by 400 to be a leap year. So 2020 is a leap year (2020/4 = 505). But 2022 is not (2022/4 = 505.5). And 2000 is a leap year (it is an end-of-century year and 2000/400 = 5). But 1900 is not (it is an end-of-century year but 1900/400 = 4.75). You don't have to calculate the exact number, you just need to recognize whether or not there will be a remainder to know if it is a leap year.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » "Day One" - My simplified "day for any date" (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL