The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » How does someone repair a straight jacket????? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AnthonytheMagic
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of AnthonytheMagic
Dear Members I have done a search on this subject and I haven't found any info. I know that Mark Cannon use to sell a reapir kit. But I know they are no longer in business so I don't want to bother him with this stuff. My jacket has a few holes in one of the arms and the crotch strap is unraveling by the last two gramets.
Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!
Anthony
951-538-4221
AnthonytheMagic@aol.com
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
What make is your jacket?

Could you get a replacement crotch strap from the manufacturer?

Can't you patch the holes with canvas patches? If you buy enough spare canvas you could create a clever design so they don't look like patches.

Sorry this isn't an in depth solution, maybe you could post a few pictures?
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Anthony:

Look up "Tent & Awning" manufactures in your phone book ("Business" phone book, if possible).

...or "Google" for a manufacturer in your area.

They routinely deal with thick canvas & use industrial sewing machines.

I've never had a problem using them - and I think they welcome a change in their routine to repair a straight jacket...in fact, just carrying the jacket into their office will get you noticed & get their interest fast.

Also, doing a trick or two won't hurt either!
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
For some reason I find that I'm performing near the water a lot. So when I needed repairs I always looked for a sailing shop. Ship sails are far tougher than SJ's are, so the equipment they have and the techniques they use is well suited for the work. Failing that I would look for a shoe shop. Cobblers also have the skills and the tools. I've never been over-charged in these places either, since they appreciate the variety and the coolness factor of working on one.
AnthonytheMagic
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of AnthonytheMagic
Thank you all for all your ideas!!!! I will be doing some running around here in california.
With much respect,
Anthony
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1135 Posts

Profile of magicusb
Sew or repair leather straps, leather from a cobbler, shoe repair guy

canvas A real tailor, or again a cobbler. if they can sew thru leather, they can sew thru any thing..

this is all from experience...
we have used both.

D&D
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Call me. I'm thirty miles away.
Jay
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Iron-on material patches ironed onto the inside of the straitjacket don't show and will stop any very small holes becoming bigger.

Tears can also often be repaired by applying these iron on patches over the tear and then also sewing them to the straitjacket.

Be careful of dry cleaning too. If you have any leatherette type of trim or similar on the straitjacket it will dissolve and ruin it.

Washing a straitjacket can be problematic too. Stage make-up inevitably ends up smeared on the arms. Rather than sticking the whole thing into a machine though it's best to wet and wash just the material and scrub it gently with a nailbrush or washing up brush. This avoids getting too much water on any trim or the leather straps.

Don't tumble dry, just hang it up and let it air dry.

Lastly, when getting a straitjacket made don't go for really heavy canvass. I had a David DeVal straitjacket that was made from a kapok type of material and it was very hard wearing and lasted for years but it was also very light and plyable making both working with it and keeping it clean much easier.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
.... and by the way I eventually ruined the David DeVal straitjacket that had served me brilliantly for more than 20 years by trying to take a short cut with cleaning it and putting it in the washing machine. Smile

Hopefully someone else can benefit from my mistake.
Neal Austin

jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I'm assuming that you used bleach?
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Actually no...I made a much more basic mistake than that!!

Over the years I've covered the cracked leatherette trim on the body and 'hands' of the straitjacket with Gaffer tape to keep it looking good and in tip top form. I made such a good job of it that I forget that it was on there. The Gaffer tape survived the washing with no problem but it let out it's black dye and left really horrible blotchy stains all over it. Smile

I guess I might be able to selectively bleach the material, section by section, or re dye the whole thing with a darkish colour but after over 20 years of faithful service I think it deserves to be quietly put out to stud.
Neal Austin

dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Oh no don't add studs .... that and black patches with make it look like "the wrong kind of straitJacket"
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
There is no "wrong" kind of SJ, as long as the audience understands the reality of it.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
The only studs on a jacket should be inside Smile
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
If the SJ gets that badly damaged the best way to deal with it is to set it alight,,,its a tool, they are not that expensive, and you should be getting a good fee for doing it, so use decent tools and replace. So there. Tight gits. Or do as Jay does,,,swap it for a rabbit,,,then eat the rabbit.

Ken.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Actually Kondini I spent good hard cash on getting 3 replacement specially straitjackets made. Because I'd been using my old no longer available to purchase David DeVal one for so long my performance and routine had over the years, I guess without me knowing it, moulded to the straitjacket.

I have about 6 straitjackets that I have bought 'off the shelf' and none of them 'work' any where near as well as my original or come anywhere close to feeling right so they stay and remain in amongst my cases of never used magic stuff.

When I eventually went to a theatrical costume makers to get replacements made I took my old straitjacket in to them and asked them to duplicate it exactly. Same design, size, material, quality leather etc.

Unfortunately service industries in the UK are generally pretty poor and true to form they used different material, different trim, different straps and had even put the straps on the wrong way round making it suitable to only be done by someone left handed. Although not what I ordered, after I got them to put the straps on the right way round, I thought they might still be ok so I handed over the cash and gave them a try.

I ended up going back to my old straitjacket after just a couple or so shows.... but now by old straitjacket is defunct and beyond being able to be used I am back using the newer ones. They are already showing signs of wear and I've had to get the sewing machine out to stop any potential damage becoming a problem. (Something I didn't have to do with my original until about 10 years of use.) Also very time I perform with these new straitjackets I feel I'm having to adjust myself to work within their shortcomings.

So there's no unwillingness to fork out the cash, even in large amounts, for something that gets the job done. It's just that the reality is I've so far only managed to fork out for things that either don't get the job done at all or get the job done in a, for me at least, slightly less than satisfactory way. The audience of course won't see any difference but I know it and feel it when doing my show.
Neal Austin

Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Google monkey+dungeon. They are in Savannah, Georgia, USA. I know Pat personally. He will make you exactly what you want every time. Look past the web site content and call Pat to discuss your order. You will be pleasantly surprised at the level of service. Make sure to tell him Chance sent you.

The rest of your hooligans are NOT allowed to call Pat. I've already told him to charge every one else double, so you have been warned! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » How does someone repair a straight jacket????? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL