The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Organization (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Grizzpyre
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
15 Posts

Profile of Grizzpyre
Okay - so maybe this isn't the right forum - but I'm hoping it is.

Not for a show or performance - but at home - in your "practice" area. How do you organize your tricks? Decks, packets, etc. Do you keep an effect like Red Hot Mama ready to go in a box - or assemble it when it's time to perform. Etc. I'm just wondering what others do - as I've gathered enough "stuff" now that I need to keep it better organized. I have about 20-25 packet wallets, and plenty of "boxes" but not sure the best way to organize stuff.

Ideas?

Grizzpyre
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
I have a 4 shelf unit with bins. I label the bins and keep my stuff in there. One bin has cards, another is marked bizarre, another silks, etc.

I don't do Red Hot Mama so I don't have to worry about that. But I do have some decks that are specific to an effect and ready to go. I have the decks marked on the end so that I know what it is. To a casual observer it means nothing.

I love packet effects but only perform a handful for the public. Some I like but feel aren't suited for general audience consumption due to the amount of cards or sleights involved.

The packet tricks I do perform I keep in the standard black vinyl case that most come with. I have one vinyl case that has 4 packet effects in it. Sometimes I'll split it between two cases just to keep things better organized and eliminate fumbling during an actual performance.

If you have too much stuff, or more stuff than you can perform...eliminate what you don't need and keep what you really enjoy performing.

Hope this helps.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Grizzpyre
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
15 Posts

Profile of Grizzpyre
It helps a great deal! Thanks Dan! I hope to hear from more folks what they do with theirs!
Denis Bastible
View Profile
Loyal user
Buffalo, New York
293 Posts

Profile of Denis Bastible
I inherited my Father's "high boy" - it has a ton of drawers. I keep regular card decks together in one drawer, gaffed decks in ziplock bags which indicate what is in the bag in another, packet tricks in ziplocks the same way but in shoe boxes with dividers in another, all coin magic in a box in another (more bags) , etc., etc..
If I don't use it after two years, it goes to the auction or to my kids if it is proper for them.
Grizzpyre
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
15 Posts

Profile of Grizzpyre
Thanks Denis! The ziploc is a GREAT idea. And glad to see another hobbyist lawyer around here. Smile
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1780 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
As for Red Hot Mama, I will usually keep an odd-backer somewhere where I can slip it into the deck at some point undetected, long after the spectator has been handling the deck.

As for storing, I bought a wooden machinists-type chest (check online auction site...I got mine at Sam's 10+ years ago) which is perfect because the drawers are not high, perfect for most effects...and there are many drawers.

Best of luck!

David
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
I use plastic bins for categories of magic.Dvd's are taken out of cases and put in notebooks you can find in office stores that hold about 200 each. I use a similar device for packet tricks. Go to a baseball collecting store and you can find boxes that will hold multiple decks. You can label these also. Another attorney/hobbyist.
Grizzpyre
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
15 Posts

Profile of Grizzpyre
Wow - how many attorney/hobbyists do we have here? Should we have our own board? Smile
Kingman
View Profile
Loyal user
Willow Spring NC
294 Posts

Profile of Kingman
Myself, I use these:
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts-kws/k-bins
The bins I have are almost the perfect size to stand up decks of cards or packets in envelopes/wallets. I use plastic dividers with labels so that I can easily index them. They fit perfectly on a shelf and I can lay them side by side. I also have special boxes that will hold 8 decks that I can close and throw in a case to take to a show. They were ploastic necktie gift boxes that latch closed. I wish I had more of them, but I had to buy $24 ties to get the silly things. LOL

Kingman
-*-The Card Magic of Kingman-*-

I took the Pledge
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
So I guess you are now doing the "Cut & Restored Tie" comedy trick? ;~)

Have fun,
John
Nothing is better than more.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Organization (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL