The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » How to restore the color of feather flowers? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I did purchase used feather flowers recently. The colors have faded away terribly. I do not know if they were in the sun for a long time or if water somehow faded the colors. Is it okay to restore the colors by taking them to an airbrush painter or brushing the feathers with dye?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Some dye will fade over time, or when the feathers were exposed to sunlight, even if not directly exposed to the sun.

I do not believe anything can be done for faded flowers. Usually touching them causes the feathers to separate.

Trying to re-color them would be very difficult, as the over spray would get on the other feathers.

I suggest you just use them as is, they will look good from a distance. Do this, take them outside, put them on a pot and walk 20 to 30 feet away, turn and look at them. If they look okay, then use them as is.

You purchase them as used, so why would you think they should look like new. It would cost to much to replace each feather. I guess you could take them apart, and learn how to make them yourself and make new ones. Of course the dye process is a total secret as far as I know, or don't know that is.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Ok, thanks. I will play with them to see what I can come up with.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Hi
Sometimes it's a matter of cleaning.
Perhaps steaming will help.
It's worth trying.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
No. Don't steam your feather flowers....it will accelerate corroding the metal stems and metal parts used in their manufacture...instead to "fluff them up"...use dry heat, carefully applied, or put the feather bouquet inside a car in the hot sun.

If dust and dirt is an issue.....you can use corn meal in a big plastic garbage bag and shake the feather flowers together with the cornmeal in the bag, then remove the remaining cormeal with very careful blowing and gentle brushing.

Once they fade.....they fade.....

Best insurance for this is to buy quality feather flowers.....they will last and troupe for many years.

FYI....the resident feather flower expert guy here on the Café is Richard Hughes.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Thanks Rick for posting this care information. I have posted it numerous times but you are one of the few to listen and take heed. Steam can destroy the flowers. Solder has acid (no matter what kind you use). Acid and water (steam) equals rusts.

Nothing is going to restore old feathers to look like new. And putting old feathers or flowers with new stuff is going to make the old stuff look much worse than it might otherwise look.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
blackstone99
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of blackstone99
I remember as a footnote at the bottom of an Abbott catalog them mentioneing about steaming feather flowers. Seemed odd to do that to feathers. Glad to know for sure it's not good from the experts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » How to restore the color of feather flowers? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL