The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Handling Telemarketers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I still get telemarketers calling on my cell phone. They LOVE to call about my mortgage, which is awesome since I don't have one. Recently I get a lot of calls where someone says, "Is so-and-so there?" and I tell them no, they must have a wrong number. Then they launch into, "Well maybe YOU can help me then" and off we go.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2012-02-17 07:05, Slide wrote:
So Bob1, I have to ask. When you were working at that corporation, I assume it had a sales team. Did they do cold calls?

I wasn't aware of them, but we might have. That wouldn't have made it acceptable to me if we did.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Ah...you've never carried a case then.

Did you ever wonder where the money came from to pay your salary? Smile

Bob you seem like a nice guy and I'm sure we would get on if we met.

But it is the guys who get on the phone, handle the rejection day in and day out, and make the SALE that are the people that I respect and who make business happen. I've done it and I know how hard it is. As an entrepreneur, who has had his neck on the line every *** payday to make sure I had enough money in the account to pay everyone else, I blessed my salespeople every day.

You may not appreciate them. You may think they are a pain when the call you at home, but the sales guy is the guy who makes the money in this world and allows managers the comfort of retiring early.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2012-02-17 22:05, Slide wrote:
Ah...you've never carried a case then.

Did you ever wonder where the money came from to pay your salary? Smile

Bob you seem like a nice guy and I'm sure we would get on if we met.

But it is the guys who get on the phone, handle the rejection day in and day out, and make the SALE that are the people that I respect and who make business happen. I've done it and I know how hard it is. As an entrepreneur, who has had his neck on the line every *** payday to make sure I had enough money in the account to pay everyone else, I blessed my salespeople every day.

You may not appreciate them. You may think they are a pain when the call you at home, but the sales guy is the guy who makes the money in this world and allows managers the comfort of retiring early.

Oh, I carried a case but it was filled with drawings, proposals and the like. Come on Slide, get real. I worked in the publishing industry; do you know how many times in my career I heard, "Ad sales and circulation sales pay your salary!" ? It's as old as cups and balls. I got tired of hearing it for so many years because without the lubrication I gave to the machines that produced the products they were selling, they wouldn't have made their commissions. Simple as that. Our company was a four-legged stool that required news, advertising, circulation and Production. Without that production leg, you don't have a product to sell.

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
P.S.

I AM a nice guy and I have no doubt we would get along if we met. I get along with everyone! Smile Some folks just don't like what I have to say, but that's their problem, not mine.

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
PPS...do you like Jack Daniels?

Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Yes I do.

But I'm more a single malt scotch guy.

The publishing industry of course is one of the biggest utilizers of telemarketing sales forces. Unfortunately it is a dying industry and I can see why you opted for early retirement.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Absolutely correct.

In our particular organization we had a bright guy who pioneered satellite technology back in the seventies. In fact we were so good at it as I recall, we were the first company to purchase our own transponder on a satellite launched on the Shuttle in the mid eighties or so. We used satellite technology to replace the old microwave technoligy in data transfer, both for text, advertising, and whole page images for making the printing plates

The guy who lead this effort rose to the highest of executive VP ranks and ultimately vied for the CEO position. He tried for at least a decade to convince the other leaders in the company to swing from print to the digital arena. He cut deals with Steve Jobs at Apple for awhile. His vision saw the publications we produced being viewed on computers back in the eighties.

Unfortunately he was a tech guy and traditional CEOs and Chairmen came out of a different department whose leaders didn't share his opinion. Very bad management decision. Because the sales and news folks who "paid our salaries" couldn't get past their staid old ways. We were ahead of Bloomberg and he walked right by us.

PS not a single malt scotch guy here.

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2012-02-18 07:23, Slide wrote:
But I'm more a single malt scotch guy.

Highland, Lowland, Island, Islay, Speyside, or Campbeltown?
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Try asking them in a lecherous tone of voice, "mmmmm.... what are you wearing?" etc.

Or, if they say that the call is being recording for "quality assurance purposes," insist on obtaining a copy of the recording under the Freedom of Information Act, then argue about that until they give up and bail out of the call.

Here's the thing about telemarketers, though: they really don't care if you hang up on them at the beginning of a call - they'll just immediately call the next number that pops up on their computer screen (I did telemarketing for a few months after college). The worst thing you can do, from their perspective, is to spend ten or more minutes on the phone with them, and then pull the plug. Most telemarketers have a daily, if not hourly, quota of goals they're supposed to hit, so they don't want to waste time talking to someone who really isn't (and never will be) interested. You don't even need to say goodbye, just hist the "call end" button. Seriously, they won't care.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Max,

Your first sentence is what I was looking for in my OP. I know, I know, some folks don't like it that I'm hurting the telemarketer by holding on to him for ten minutes. But that's not my problem. I don't like it when my privacy is messed with.

So let's hear some of those good ones that I KNOW y'all have. Glad to hear some folks still have a sense of humor. Any other discussion of the poor telemarketer's plight will go unacknowledged. By me anyway. Smile

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Handling Telemarketers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL