The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Spectator: Can I show you a trick? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Bunkyhenry-- first I would assume he is working with a kid - maybe not but I agree with Jamie!

I have always encouraged kids to show me a trick if they know one. at my restaurant it has become almost part of the night that 2 or 3 times there will be a kid that wants to show me a trick. some times they bring their own tricks and after they perform it I spend a few moments offering some tips and ideas. Mom and Dad LOVE THIS! that is what it is about.

not whether they are really good or they are just an amateur it is about the feel good moment the kid is having show a real live magician his own trick
to the kid I am a big time celebrity-- ok maybe not a big time but certainly it is a special moment for that kid and for his parents.

whether at a show or where ever I try to always let the kids show me a trick. even once in a while an adult but I can usually tell if they are there to just try to upstage me or the really want to show a trick.

end result is we are really there to create those happy memories for every one and if that means stepping out the spot light for a few moments then that is what we do - in reality stepping out of the spotlight will actually go a long way with your audience. they notice these things

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Quote:
On 2012-02-14 23:37, Frank Starsini wrote:
Costco. $13 for 12 decks the last time I checked.
I trained my wife to bring home a box every now and then.

Do they not sell them anymore?

Trained your wife??? Now THAT is a great a trick! Smile
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Quote:
On 2012-02-19 09:31, bunkyhenry wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-02-16 13:32, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
My response is always the same:

Them: I know magic! Can I show you one?

Everyone else turns to me...

Me: Are you kidding? Absolutely! I LOVE magic!!! Just be careful, these cards are worth a fortune, lol. [hand him the deck] Everyone, this is going to be awesome but just to make sure, what's your name again? Bill? just to make sure Bill leaves here happy, let's make some noise no matter how it turns out! Okay, I'm ready! Let's see it!

I'm not paid to do magic tricks. I'm paid to make sure everyone has a wonderful time and that people leave my presence happier than when they entered it. Magic is my vehicle- and it doesn't matter who's driving, lol!

How is making people watch a lousy amateur magician and pretending to like it making sure everyone has a wonderful time? It seems like it is doing the opposite to me.

Great question. First of all, I should specify that this would be for a Walk Around Corporate gig. If someone is yelling this at me while I'm on stage then I've got an entire host of problems, lol (this has yet to happen, lol).

And, while this is only my own opinion, I have to say that if I've reached a level with the group that someone is comfortable enough to ask this question- then I'm doing everything right. My goal for Walk Around gigs is to create an atmosphere- one of fun, excitement and, (this is key), kindness. I'm not a "look at what I'm doing and clap at me performer". I'm a "we're all having a great time and becoming friends" type of guy. Allowing the spec to have his moment to shine (and you can be relatively sure that it's a trick he can do fairly well- I've never had anyone want to embarrass themselves) simply brings the group further along onto your side. Is his "location" trick going to be better than my Torn and Restored? Probably not. But the audience isn't ranking us in order. They see that I've been nice to their friend, or coworker, I've encouraged a good time, and I've left them better than when I arrived. I believe that refusing that request would only harbor a silent resentment from at least one of the group- and for me that's one too many. I honestly can't say, however, as I've never turned it down. And the times the spec has done something and it hasn't worked as well as he would have liked, I've simply said, "Hey, that wasn't bad, right? Here, you keep the cards and I'll hang out with these beautiful woman. No? I don't blame you. Here, let me show you one more before I go then..."

It reminds me of something that Barrie Richardson once told me. He said, "My only goal as a performer is for them to ask, "When can we have him back?""

I appreciate different opinions- to be sure- this is just the way I've always done it and it's always worked for me,

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Let's do the math. Corporate walkaround situation...five executives, one insists on showing his 21 card trick. I tell the other four that they should patiently watch and be nice to the guy. Result? Five people (four specs and ME) have a lousy time and one has a wonderful time. How is making five people watch a lousy amateur magician and pretending to like it making sure EVERYONE has a wonderful time?

Also a good chance that the group gangs up on the guy and makes fun of him as they get bored with the piles and he screws up the effect.

Bottom line: Those executives did not come to the party to be forced to watch their associates perform lousy magic tricks.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
I guess I believe that the performer owes the client the ability to ensure everyone has a good time- even when the cards aren't in his hands.

And, in your example, there's five executives: who's asking to do the trick? Is it the CEO of your client company? And you're not going to let him? Is is someone they've invited to try and close a deal- and you're going to refuse him? And, just so I get this straight, if he does do it- surely you don't stand still and let others mock him?

Me, I'd absolutely let him. And if he actually said, "Hey, is there a table here? I want to show you guys something." (which doesn't happen, but we'll go with it) then I can gauge very quickly who he is by how the others respond and what needs to be done. And you can guarantee that we're all going to have a blast (including him) while he does it.

I might delete this post as I'm not sure how it reads and I try to never argue online (or in person, lol). Let me just end by saying if you're successful at your approach and it works for you, just ignore my ramblings. I'm only offering what works for me.

All my best!

~jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 12:21, Lash wrote:
Quote:

I just looked them up online and they are 12 for $17.28. Not as good as 12 for $13 but still a really good price.

in europe its 50$ for 12 decks (quite ridiculous) so yea.. thatrs a good price.
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Jamie No problem. There is no arguement. I appreciate the way you keep it light. What I am saying is that when you state "I believe that the performer owes the client the ability to ensure everyone has a good time- even when the cards aren't in his hands." that this is sometimes not possible to ensure. It is the "everyone" that cannot always be achieved. And yes I stand still and let the others mock him...just like they do at the office!
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2012-02-20 13:24, bunkyhenry wrote:
What I am saying is that when you state "I believe that the performer owes the client the ability to ensure everyone has a good time- even when the cards aren't in his hands." that this is sometimes not possible to ensure. It is the "everyone" that cannot always be achieved.

Perhaps with Jamie, it can. It seems like he works pretty hard at it.

Alan
Jefferson
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Jefferson
Have you ever walked up to someone and asked if you could show them a card trick? What did they say to you?
borderjs
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of borderjs
Quote:
On 2012-02-15 12:21, Lash wrote:
Quote:

I just looked them up online and they are 12 for $17.28. Not as good as 12 for $13 but still a really good price.

I had a friend just go to Sam's the other day and said he saw 12 for 8$.. Maybe he was mistaken.
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Quote:
On 2012-02-21 09:28, Jefferson wrote:
Have you ever walked up to someone and asked if you could show them a card trick? What did they say to you?

No I have not.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
No one every blew a show by being gracious.

The job is about entertainment...making people happy. In short -- it's about people. Not tricks.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
David Thiel posted:

Quote:

The job is about entertainment...making people happy. In short -- it's about people. Not tricks.

David

David, it is possible to do all of that while still not giving up the stage to an amateur magician. There is nothing "ungracious" about handing someone your card and saying "Let's have lunch sometime and we can talk shop but I'm sure you understand that I've got limited time this afternoon".

Most here seem to agree that letting a guest show a trick could work under certain circumstances. In my case I would only do it if I was dealing with a very small group who all had a vested interest.

Two Examples"

1) Young kid wants to show me a trick while his family watches. Not a large group but just his family.
2) Older gentleman wants to show me a trick while his wife watches.

Now imagine the case of a table of high school basketball players. They are enjoying my set and shouting "Wow" and "OMG" and everything is going well. Then one guy says "let me show you one" and I graciously hand over the pack. Is he going make sure the trick he selects fits the criteria that I would have chosen to entertain that group at that time? Of course not. Is he going be "gracious" to the people he uses in his trick. Maybe, maybe not. Is he going to hand me the deck back right after the trick?

One time a guy insisted on showing a trick and I let him. His trick consisted of "accidently" dropping a card on the floor and asking a nearby guest to pick it up. When the guest bent down to pick it up he then forcefully threw the deck onto his back and laughed as the cards scattered. In his judgement this was a highly succesful magic moment. In my judgement it was not.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
So if you guys were on stage, would it be alright for a heckler to come up and take over?
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
I'm not paid to do magic tricks. I'm paid to make sure everyone has a wonderful time and that people leave my presence happier than when they entered it. Magic is my vehicle- and it doesn't matter who's driving, lol!

AMEN !!!!!
If the spectator feels good...Its ok with me !
-H
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Quote:
On 2012-02-22 07:39, Hansel wrote:
Quote:

AMEN !!!!!
If the spectator feels good...Its ok with me !-H

My point is that making the one spectator feel good at the expense of several others is not ok with me!
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Quote:
On 2012-02-21 14:23, MeetMagicMike wrote:
David Thiel posted:

Quote:

David

David, it is possible to do all of that while still not giving up the stage to an amateur magician. There is nothing "ungracious" about handing someone your card and saying "Let's have lunch sometime and we can talk shop but I'm sure you understand that I've got limited time this afternoon".

Most here seem to agree that letting a guest show a trick could work under certain circumstances. In my case I would only do it if I was dealing with a very small group who all had a vested interest.

Two Examples"

1) Young kid wants to show me a trick while his family watches. Not a large group but just his family.
2) Older gentleman wants to show me a trick while his wife watches.

Now imagine the case of a table of high school basketball players. They are enjoying my set and shouting "Wow" and "OMG" and everything is going well. Then one guy says "let me show you one" and I graciously hand over the pack. Is he going make sure the trick he selects fits the criteria that I would have chosen to entertain that group at that time? Of course not. Is he going be "gracious" to the people he uses in his trick. Maybe, maybe not. Is he going to hand me the deck back right after the trick?

One time a guy insisted on showing a trick and I let him. His trick consisted of "accidently" dropping a card on the floor and asking a nearby guest to pick it up. When the guest bent down to pick it up he then forcefully threw the deck onto his back and laughed as the cards scattered. In his judgement this was a highly succesful magic moment. In my judgement it was not.

Great post! Your two examples of allowing tricks to be shown are very good exeptions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Spectator: Can I show you a trick? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL