The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Your opinion needed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamesRaymond
View Profile
New user
Elkhart, IN (USA)
49 Posts

Profile of JamesRaymond
I have been working with the appearing cane and was wondering, what color silk would look better to you?

Black or Red? Just so you know, I am using a red one now.

I know everyone is different but it would be helpful to me to know what you think.

Thank you.
Are you watching closely?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Are you using a metal or plastic cane?
JamesRaymond
View Profile
New user
Elkhart, IN (USA)
49 Posts

Profile of JamesRaymond
Right now I have the plastic cane.
Are you watching closely?
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
It goes without saying that the red silk contrast better with the black cane, but if I am simply appearing a cane as a stand-alone effect I prefer the silk to match the cane. I think it is more deceptive, and it makes more sense to me.

"Cane Silks" are black with a white tip. I have a couple and they match really well. I'm not sure if they are still being sold or not.

Regan
Mister Mystery
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I like for them to match also.I have a mako tendo metal red and white striped cane and also use a red and white 18 inch striped silk.the transformation blends perfectly togeather.
todd
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
It's easy to dye a white silk black in the center and leave white tips on the diagonal ends. Use string or a rubber band to tie up the diagonal ends into a "handle" so you can lower the silk into black silk dye down almost to (but not over) the string tie or rubber band. I would use silk dye from Dharma Trading Company so when it dries completely, you can iron the black center and set the dye permanently. Then cold wash the silk, dry again and give it a final ironing before use. You can get hemmed white silks in a variety of different sizes from the same company. If you've never tried dying silks before but have always wanted to try it, this makes a good first project.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Eighteen inch silks work best with metal canes, but why go through all the trouble of trying to make a black silk with white tips when you can get order it.

http://www.laflinmagicstore.com/products-page/silks/ scroll down to Appearing Cane Silk

for better quality order this one

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice's%20Cane%20to%20Silk.htm

or this one

http://www.pasilks.com/index2.html go to Cane Silk.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Back before I became a magician, I was stumped by the appearing cane. Changing a red or yellow silk into a "walking stick" blew me away. One day on TV I saw a magician use the black silk with white tip, and he changed it into a cane. This wasn't as magical to me - I was trying to figure out how he made the silk rigid instead of appreciating the change.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I first saw this on Magic Land of Allakazam with Mark Wilson. He always closed the show with it. If I remember correctly he used the silk with Rice silk. He did it best of all. How he got the silk to not curve while spinning was and still is today a mystery to me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Your opinion needed (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL