The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » DVDs on Silk Productions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Hello everybody,

I've searched already through this chapter of the Café to find something, but except for the Duane Laflin DVDs and the P&A DVDs I couldn't find anything. Could somebody tell me if there's any DVD out teaching different ways to produce a large silk in a "barehanded" manner with the correct preparations, body loads, stealing, body positions for production etc. aswell as the Splitting Silk effect, all on one DVD. The kind of techniques most manipulators use in connexion with dove, card or billard ball work.

I know about the Rice Encyclopedia, but I find having difficulties to understand correctly all the written words. It would be easier for me to see all the tehnical aspects on a video.
Concerning the DVDs I stated, which has more informations about the things I'm looking for ?

I'm specially looking for a way having my hands empty at the beginning of the act, with my arms "hanging" normally along the body.
I know that some DVDs on Dove Magic carry a few insights into one silk productions, but mostly only one or two versions, but I don't want to buy all kind of different DVDs just for one or two techniques that could be valuable for me.

Any suggestions where to look ?

Thank you very much in advance for all your help and please feel free to PM me if needed.

Oliver.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The best (and only one I know of) is the old Paul Diamond "Lessons in Magic With Paul Diamond Volume 10 - Symphonette in Silk". The teaches the proper method for folding, body loading, stealing, and producing a number of 36" silks. It also teaches the handling of the dye tube for the color change, and the hank ball for a bare hand multiple small silk production (almost like a Miser's Dream with silks). I think it can still be found.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Harry,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I will try to find this one and see what's in there.

Oliver.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Ooh....I'd like to have that DVD also!
Mister Mystery
Mark Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Batavia, NY
236 Posts

Profile of Mark Ross
I'd like it too, if anyone finds a source for it.

Mark
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
I've found out that it was released by Hans Zahn's Videonics around 1986 in Canada on VHS. L&L Publishing purchased around the 1990 the whole Videonics line, but visibly they don't sell this particular tape anymore. Anyway L&L Publishing redited and reissued selected programs of the old Videonics line and hopefully this Paul Diamond tape will be one of the next.

Regan and Mark, do you have any suggestions concerning my post. Which of Duane Laflin DVDs or P&A Silk DVDs have more information in it concerning the techniques I'm looking for ?

Thanks.

Oliver.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
After a deeper internet research I've found out that http://www.magicvideolibrary.com is probably selling this tape. I need to contact them to get confirmation.

Thank you very much again Harry for your hint, and as you can see I'm doing my homework. lol

Oliver.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Oliver, I'm glad you found the DVD. Thanks for posting the link. I'm pretty sure Duane has some DVDs that cover the techniques you seek, but I am not sure which ones. You might check deeper into, "Sensational Silk Magic", "Simply Beautiful Silk Magic", or "Silken Sequences And Steals". I think there are 2 volumes of that last title.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Thanks Regan.

Maybe the best thing would be to contact Duane Laflin to get some precisions about the DVDs.

Does anybody knows if P&A Silks is still in business, since I've heard that the creator and owner Peter White has unfortuantly deceased ?

Thanks.

Oliver.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Yes, contact Duane or Laflin Magic, bu all means. Duane's son and daughter-in-law now run Laflin Magic and I'm sure David would be glad to help you figure it out!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
P&A Silks has been very silent, the best way to contact them is by telephone. Even when Peter White was alive, one had to telephone to place an order.

To answer your initial question, I do not know of any video that teaches the techniques you suggested.

All the silk productions I have acquired have been tricks sold separately or mentioned in a book here or there.

The trick you may be looking for is Carlos Corda Silk Sensation that was sold by Supreme Magic in the 1970's. It has been copied by a couple of people since then. Currently it is available from John Blake of East Coast Magic.
http://www.eastcoastmagic.com/eacomaprflsi.html

I have seen the Diamond tape, and do not remember any silk productions with steals. It covers hand dye tubes and the old time silk winder for a huge streamer production from soda can. I did not get any helpful magic ideas with the conditions you stated.

Actually, most of this type of production is dependent on the magician and the actions and act the person has devised. Vito Lupo sold 2 gimmicks years ago, one to hold a rolled silk and a copy of Corda's silk production. He only sold them at magic conventions where he appeared with is new act. He performed a 3 silk production with the gimmicks as an opening number.

The very best single silk productions has not been revealed to my knowledge. It was Ten Kai from South America, hope I remembered that name correctly. He simply shows the palm of his hand at waist level, turns it back and a large silk unfurls, simply beautiful.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Bill the Paul Diamond video was a complete act that involved the folding, loading, stealing, and producing at least four 36-inch "art" silks. The act opened with a comedy silk production and color changing silk routine that gave the misdirection for the first 36-inch silk steal and production (which in turn gave the misdirection for the second 36-inch silk production, etc). The act progresses to a steal of a fountain of silks (with full instruction of how to fold, load, and tips on proper presentation) to a finale of the large (In Paul's case 100-footJ) streamer and a can of soda (with tips for using a bird or other final production item).

I just watched it again. I forgot how good this little silk act and tape was. I think that Paul's Reel video and this Silk video are amongst the best in the series. His dancing cane video is pretty good too. He hooks up a length of steel pipe with a bit of magicians rope and to demonstrate that dancing cane.

Too bad that whoever owns the rights to this series doesn't put them out again.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have to get a letter written the Cynthia (P&A) and see what is going on. Maybe I can work something out that I can handle the sales of silk magic dvd's for them.

I do know that Peter put together those tapes with the thought to leave something for Cynthia to sell.

Let me see what I can come up. I have a set of them but I do not wish to part with them.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Bill,

Thank you for your reply. I had a look at the link you provided concerning Carlo Corda's Silk Sensation, but it seems to me that the technique required doesn't let me walk on stage in a normal manner. I don't want to be to direct since I'm afraid of giving away the possible secret. I'll Pm you.

Harry,

Thank you for giving a little bit more details about the Paul Diamond tape.

Richard,

Thank you very much in advance for your help concerning P&A Silks. Since you seem to have a closer contact to Cynthia, I'll wait for her answer to your letter.

Thank you to all of your efforts. I appreciate a lot all your help.

Oliver.
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
462 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Oliver try to get Yamamoto DVD with his silk act. You can order it from UGM shop in Japan or Stevens magic in USA. If you order from UGM make sure to check DVDs by Kazu Katayama as well.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Thank you very much Bojanbarisic for your help. I had a look, but neither Stevens Magic or UGM sell teaching DVDs from Yamamoto or Katayama. The only DVDs I've found are "performance only" tapes.

Do you have a link ?

Thank you again.

Oliver.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Oliver, I just got Yuji Yamamoto Silk Production DVD last week. It will not fit your requirements. It is a good DVD on silk production, and has some nice ideas.

The Corda Silk Production does not work as you think it does. It will be one solution to your idea.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Bill,

Thank you for your precisions conerning the Yuji Yamamoto DVD.

Oliver.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I am also very intersted in that older silk production dvd/video! Please let us know of any progress.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » DVDs on Silk Productions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL