The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Routine Compared: Ramsay's Cylinder & Coins vs Other Routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

zhuanan
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of zhuanan
Dear all:

Would like to gather feedback as to what is the difference in the extent of use of misdirection if one were to compare John Ramsay's Cylinder and Coins Routine against:

a) Coins Across;
b) 3 Fly Routine

And how would mastering Cylinder and Coins Routine make one become a much better magician in the use of misdirection?
Wouldn't mastering a Coin Across routine, or 3 Fly routine makes one become better in the use of misdirection?

Would appreciate some enlightenment for me in this aspect.
Thank you!
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
C&C is a classic w/ props. All Ramsay's magic helps one know more about using misdirection, more so than standard coin routines. Dr. Sawa uses coins with props more than anyone I've seen. David Neighbors has some great coins with props routines. I'm surprised we don't see more.

Misdirection is fundamental to powerful magic. Studying misdirection will make all your magic better. There is definitely a lack of misdirection in most coin magic.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
There are many ways to answer your question. Frankly, I think most people fail to consider misdirection, or attention management as it's now known, when performing "3Fly". It's sad, because that effect needs proper attention management the most. In fact, it's all about managing what the audience sees and doesn't see.

But I wouldn't start with the Visual Coins Across. Some experience with misdirection is essential before one tackles that one.

More germane to your question is this: the C&C routine requires you to vanish four coins, and they're all gone before you reveal where they've gone. That takes more mastery of attention. In coins across, a coin vanishes, and then you almost immediately show where it is. Less need to lead attention away from things. (sorry about vagueness, but there's some rule about exposure here) In jargon, the longer you're holding out, the better you need to be at controlling where people look, what they see, and what they think about what they see. And it's no surprise that in a John Ramsay routine (which the C & C is) you're holding out for days.

That's not to say that everyone who has published a C&C routine has worked out the misdirection. Some have, some haven't. Some have, but don't talk much about that stuff in the explanation. I'd suggest you study the original routine, John Carney's excellent version in "Carneycopia", and Tom Stone's write up in "Vortex". There are others about that are excellent, but those come to mind as being focused on the misdirection.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Who would you like to lead down the garden path and what would you like them to find at its end?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Doug Brewer's new DVD (Red Light) has a great updated C & C routine with some new ideas for the cylinder. Very impressive thinking.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Routine Compared: Ramsay's Cylinder & Coins vs Other Routines (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL