The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Types of locking key rings (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

elliottmagic
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of elliottmagic
Hi,
I was just on Owens magic, and I was wondering, what is the under over ring?
Thanks
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Size. Either over or under.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Kit Higginson
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Kit Higginson
Hi Elliotmagic,

Just to be clear, undersize and oversize rings are not LKs. They can be used various types of counts and other effects. Treat your self to a copy of Levent's SUPERB 4 DVD Linking Ring set. Different types of LKs as well as uses of under and oversize rings and much more are all covered there.

Cheers,

Kit Higginson
Kit Higginson
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Kit Higginson
Here is the link to Levent's site: http://www.leventmagic.com/
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Just as another resource - Rings In Your Fingers by Dariel Fitzkee also covers the use of what is called the Hilliard Ring (for John Northern Hilliard), the Oversized ring, and what is called the Fitzkee Ring (for Dariel Fitzkee), the Undersized ring.

As Michael Baker mentioned, the size of the rings is the only difference and Kit did a good job of clarifying. You have to buy the over/undersized rings according to the size of the rings in your set.
elliottmagic
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of elliottmagic
Is there a type of locking key made by Owens that you can lock and unlock without the audience knowing. Because when I was in Vegas, I played with a locking key ring and it was kinda hard to lock again
Thanks
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Check out Joe Porper's. See demo at http://www.petebiro.com go to video clips and scroll down. This is the latest in locking key technology.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Kit Higginson
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Kit Higginson
Quote:
On 2012-03-14 00:07, elliottmagic wrote:
Is there a type of locking key made by Owens that you can lock and unlock without the audience knowing. Because when I was in Vegas, I played with a locking key ring and it was kinda hard to lock again
Thanks

The Owens key is fairly easy to unlock. However, locking it again is a bit tricky to do discreetly since it requires two hands.
Kit Higginson
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Kit Higginson
Pete,

The Porper key looks awesome!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-03-14 00:07, elliottmagic wrote:
Thanks

The locking key from Owen Magic sells for over $225.00, that was the last quote I seen. That is for one locking key.

Harry Murphy just sold a complete eleven ring set with locking key and oversize ring and extra rings for around $775.00, you missed your chance to get a excellent set of Linking Rings at an excellent price.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
As far as I know, all locking keys require two hands. You just need to work out the timing/handling.
IMHO they are not needed for 90% of ring routines.
Kit Higginson
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Kit Higginson
Van Dokkum claims that his locking key can be opened and closed with one hand. I have never had the opportunity to handle one.

I agree that they are, for the most part, unnecessary. However, the ability to display a clean seven ring chain as in the climax of Levent's eleven ring routine which can be viewed on the DVD set mentioned above demonstrates one of their uses.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You may be right about Van Dokkum, I now recall seeing him handle his rings a couple of years ago. I think they were a bit thin, and brass. Very nice.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I would not say that ALL locking keys require two hands to operate - there are certainly some out there that can be operated with one hand - and I know because I own a few.

I have an Owen locking key that can be operated with one hand, but I think that has to do with the way the ring was 'set' (that is to say, when it was formed/shaped, the 'pressure' at the locking point from the slight torque is just right). In my opinion, where you would usually use a locking key, a closed key would suffice most of the time.

Pete remembers correctly about the Van Dokkum rings - they are brass and are very nice, but I prefer my Owens and Redefine sets.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Tannen used to sell a three ring hollow aluminum set with a m-------c locking key which could be opened and closed with one hand effortlessly. I have a set. They sound terrible but they work well.

I have a 12 inch Owen set including the locking key. It can be easily opened with one hand. Closing it is hard to do with one hand. I have never used it in performance. My six ring routine with 12 inch Owens is taught in my new book and it is also performed and explained in detail on the companion DVD.

The bottom line is, you don't need a locking key. They get in the way. And if you use proper technique, they will never see or suspect the b----h.

Larry Smile
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I used to have a locking key from Van Dokkum and it can be opened and closed with one hand; it does take a knack, however. If your'e familiar with the locking key made by Ben Stone's Mid America Magic, Van Dokkum's is almost identical.

Ron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Types of locking key rings (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL