The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lippincott boxes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Prismatic
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Prismatic
Oh god he's making another post :< humour me. Is it worth using a lippincott box? these seem functional for stage or set routines, I like the principal but I honestly can't see myself using it in a routine, I think it would be cooler to force the signed card into a sealed deck, working on that, not easy >_> Also on that note. Recommendations for boxes like this, I want one even if I don't use it and just pull it out occasionally or work it into something spooky. So any thoughts on this and the items you bought that you love but don't really use that much.
"Honest, that's supposed to be on fire, really."
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Prismatic... I have used a Lippincott box for years with great results; I never had a card appear in it, mostly coins and rings.

Another similar item is the Ring Casket, made by Viking in brass; it is limited by its side as to what you can get into it.

In one of Frank Garcia’s Close-up Magic books (volume 2??) there is a neat routine with a ring ending up in a card box.

I pretty much perform around the dinner table and all have worked well.

Good luck,
Bruce
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The original Lippincott routine called "Quarter Go", rarely seen these days, is the best reason to use a Lippincott Box. As far as the box itself, all he did was make a smaller version of the more common pocket watch boxes of his day (see Hoffmann). What made it such a "knock-out" was the "Quarter Go" routine that went with it.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Kyle Elder
View Profile
Regular user
Fresno, California
119 Posts

Profile of Kyle Elder
I have both a lippincott and porper strong box. Ive used the lippincott a few times with a routine I put together. I now use the porper strong box. At first I didn't like not being able to have them in view while you load them. So I built a wooden chest for the strong box to fit in. Its gimmicked so I can load the strong box inside of it while I walk to a Spectator with the key that unlocks the chest. this way I can load it right in front of the audience and it has that added Impossibility of being inside two locked boxes.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Along the same lines there is a good coin in the ball of wool routine found in the Mark Wilson Course in Magic.
Prismatic
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Prismatic
I saw a trick once where someone took a coin from me, I signed it and they vanished it. He then produce a wooden box, unlocked it and inside it was another locked box, inside that was a cloth wrapped in rubber bands, inside that was my coin. Anyone know this effect? It totally fooled me.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Prismatic

That is a version of the principle used in Lippincott/quarter go boxes; look for a description that talks about "nested" boxes - that way you will get the extra something. I think Magic Warehouse was selling this at a reasonable price. Yet, that type of effect is described in some beginners books, but you would be using something less fancy than the above boxes, like nested match boxes that are "sealed" with rubber bands.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Prismatic
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Prismatic
It was a pretty intense effect, I'm not sure I'd use in a walkaround situation but as a standing piece it's excellent. (this chap did this effect in a pub setting)
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The problem with that version is you either carry a bunch of boxes for a one time performance with each box set, or you stop somewhere and reset in secret. For something that can reset itself and be used in a walk around situation, you might check out Gary Plant's "Ring in Card Box" which can also be used for coin in card box, candy, pebble, etc. http://thecardplant.com/trick3.html

Also check out Shawn Evans' Snug Utility Box: http://www.mimesis-magic.com/catalog/ite......7644.htm
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lippincott boxes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL