The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Key West info? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
742 Posts

Profile of Kameron Messmer
Hey all! Here is my story/background/questions

I have some friends that invited me to Key West with them. I'd be the baby sitter as well. I've never been, but they suggested I make some money down there by busking. I've done some balloon animals for tips before, but not magic or anything. I've been doing magic/balloons/sideshow for about 15 years.

So what do I need to know? Ive read some info about permits,and insurance and fees and all that. Im not really sure whats current info and not. I see a few of you on here perform at key west, and I don't want to do stuff that's already there either. I do balloons, fire eating, magic, mouse traps, human block head, a little animal trap stuff, glass walking, mentalism...

Posted: Mar 17, 2012 3:29pm
Sorry, posted too quick... hate when that happens... anyways, I'd be grateful to any help you can give. I don't want to fly down there and find out I shouldnt have come, or cant perform because of rules or its too crowded, or I'm competing with a great performer. Thanks for all your help in advance!!

Kameron Messmer
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
It's over-crowded with extremely territorial local acts, the local laws are unnecessarily restrictive, and there is a permit system in place for any pitch you might like to use -- if you can even get the permit in the first place.

Call the Key West City Hall and ask about getting one. It'll be an experience.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Also the spring breakers are in town this time of year.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
See if you can find Michael Trixx - he works the Keys and can tell you pretty much everything you need to know. You can visit his site and send him an e-mail at: http://michaeltrixx.com/
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
Chance, I'm surprise you didn't mention performing as a constitutional right and fighting the City if they tried to fine and shut you down. I would think that Key West's restrictive laws would heat up the fight in you. Whaddya say?
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
There are guys fighting it. Key West has been brought to court a couple of times that I know of, and they have always lost. They wait a couple of seasons and do it all again. Miami Beach did the exact same thing -- lost a big case, got their hand slapped really good by the courts and were made to dismantle their illegal busking statutes. Which they did. For 2 years. And then they changed around 2 paragraphs, instituted a different permit system, and began violating rights all over again. Key West and Miami Beach seem to be working off the exact same play book. They can pull these stunts as often as they like and they know it. Over a 30-year period these tactics will keep the streets how they want for 80% of that time, even if they lose repeatedly in court, and even if they have to pay out big fines. It seems as though these are odds they have already figured they can live with so long as they get that 80%.

Your tax dollars at work. We pay these people. We just don't pay them as much as the downtown businessmen's association does.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Technically, Key West succeeded from the Union in 1982 and as the "Conch Republic" they are not obligated to uphold the First Amendment. Smile

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Looks like a mess to me...
http://www.buskercentral.com/buskers/blog.php?u=2&b=102
Fortunately, I went there in 1980 and haven't been back since...too humid
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Oh yes, back when Capt. Tony was Mayor.
It's a very different place now.
-Charles Schulz
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Would love hear about or get links to any court cases involving Key West and street performing. Would also be interested in current "fights" if there are any. PM me if you want or post...your choice.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Call the City Attorney's office and ask them about any recent (last 10 years) and/or ongoing litigation. It's public information. They can't (legally) withhold the info.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
Talk to david breth (at mallory square), or surgei (the bronze statue, but I think he works duval street)... they will help you out I'm sure..
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Thanks to all for the input. Your help is appreciated.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
After reading "Callahan's Key" (Spider Robinson), Key West is on my "bucket list" but only if I can rent a car in Miami and make the 7-mile bridge.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
The old bridge was just two narrow lanes. An oncoming RV was a bit unnerving.
Good shots of the bridge in the movie; "True Lies".
-Charles Schulz
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
In "Callahan's Key," they were taking 24 refurbished school busses from Long Island to Key West! At whichever key it is that has the state beach, Jake the hero decides to pull off and go swimming (followed by the other 23 busses) you can imagine the joy and relief on all the cars that were behind them.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
The only state beach that comes to mind is Bahia Honda. Beautiful spot. Caught lots of conch off that beach (and others) in my teens.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Key West info? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL